By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
chris baggaley16/11/2009 15:08:19
7 forum posts
Hi, since retiring last year I have gradually been building up my work shop. Can anyone recomend a planner thicknesser that won't break the bank. Initailly I want to use it on loads of two by four that is very rough but solid and should make nice furniture
Joe O 316/11/2009 15:24:59
203 forum posts
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum,
I have very little knowledge on the subject  of planer thicknessers
but if  you would like to fill in your profile
someone with more expertise will be logging in
and know the subject and seeing your profile
guide you to a bargain.
Joe.
Alan T.16/11/2009 20:10:29
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Chris,
                        Just to say welcome to the site. Hope this won't be a once only visit. I'm sure some one will have the info you require,Big Al perhaps. Cheers   Alan  T.
dennis wake17/11/2009 00:30:42
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Chris
    i have got the woodstar planer thicknesser. this is a very good all round tool it is easy to chang from one to the other all you need is a allen key and a flat screwdriver to do it. the price is at about £200 it is capable of 8" x5" planing and i have used it for hard wood and gives a very good product from it. i hope this is of use to you

ps do'not forget you will need a chip extraction of a good suction if you want a good finish from it.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 17/11/2009 00:34:43

Edited By dennis wake on 17/11/2009 00:37:41

Edited By dennis wake on 17/11/2009 00:39:54

Edited By dennis wake on 17/11/2009 00:40:19

steve h17/11/2009 14:22:27
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Chris & welcome.

I am sure there are a lot of guys out there with a lot more knowledge than me.  I personally like the SIP products and own a 10X6 planer thicknesser, but paid over £500 for it. That's the SIP 01454, the SIP 01483 come is at nearly half that and is an 8X4.

These products are also available under many different brand names, as they all come from the same factory in China, there are slight differences, but that's about it.

I am very pleased with mine and does give a good finish, although they do take some setting up & I am very careful to ensure that the settings are spot on each time I use it.

Hope this helps?

Steve
Simon Forrest17/11/2009 16:49:04
16 forum posts
29 photos
Hi Chris,  what I would do is buy the best that u can afford and I personally believe that u need to spend in the region of £1000 on a good new one, however,
better still, buy a really good used one such as a sheppach, you often see them for sale and they just go on and on.

Simon.
Mailee17/11/2009 22:46:02
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I have the Elu P/T and can't fault it. I would go second hand and buy either this or the De Walt version. Another very good machine as has been mentioned is the Scheppach. Choose one that is easy to convert between planing/thicknessing or it becomes too much of a chore changing. I am lazy and have a seperate planer and thicknesser to save changing the machine. It is worth spending the money on a good one but also allow for the chip extractor too as you WILL need it.
Delete18/11/2009 20:53:40
575 forum posts
Hi Chris and welcome. I think you will get as many sugestions as replies. I bought a Schepech following an article in Woodworker. I am very happy with it they do come up on the second hand market from time to  time.

Edited By Roger B on 18/11/2009 21:03:25

chris baggaley20/11/2009 21:13:25
7 forum posts
Hi all and thanks for the advice. I ordered the woodstar pt85 and it arrived today. So far so good but the instructions assume I know what to do with it. Next apparently I need chip and dust extraction. Any advice would be welcome. I need something that would cover a table saw, compound mitre saw and router table.
Once again thanks.

Chris
dennis wake20/11/2009 21:54:17
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Chris
   as i have this plainer thickneser as well it is good. i unfortunatly have nither the room nor the money for a extractor i only use the bq style performance hoover and adapted the suction hose to fit.
dennis
Julian22/11/2009 13:15:00
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Chris,
   I have just bought a Startrite Inca for £200, it took two people to get it from my trailer to the shed but what a good beast. It's only Cast Alloy but very strong and does a good job.
Good Hunting

Julian
Delete24/11/2009 19:52:46
575 forum posts
I bought a Record twin motor unit and set up a plastic soil pipe system to a small shed outside the workshop. I also put my compressors in the shed. With some insulation it keep the noise outside the workshop and does not get complaints from the neighbours.
chris baggaley24/11/2009 21:09:30
7 forum posts
Roger thanks for that. I also got a record unit. It has a 4" inlat and 1.5m of tube. I like your idea of soil pipe but all me machines seem to have different size outlets. I would like to set up so I have a pipe on each one and the connect to the extracter as needed.

Chris 
Delete25/11/2009 11:16:08
575 forum posts
Chris
Have a look at this

it may give you some ideas. The main pipe has a screw fitting at the extreme end for cleaning out if required.. At the suction end the pipe drops down the wall and then through into the dust collection shed. The bottom 90 degree bend has a roding port in it for clearing any blockages. These can be easliy created if the collection bag gets full and you dont notice. The white fittings are lavatory pan connectors. They fit the Axminster Plastic Blast Gates. Axminster also do adaptors of various sizes. I also fitted outlets of smaller size these take a taper push fit hose and when not in use are pluged with a wooden tapered bung made on the lathe.
Any questions just ask

Rog

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact