By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Saw vice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Saw Sharpening Masterclass - Part 1

Saw Sharpening Masterclass - Part 1

With traditional saws making a comeback, Andy King walks you through how to get them into tip top condition

Gareth Lewis13/11/2009 21:32:04
5 forum posts
Some time in the past Andy did an an piece on a saw vice that fitted in a bench vice does any one know when and which magazine.
Sparky14/11/2009 01:13:32
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Gareth

I cant remember seeing a plan to make the saw vice but. You can get a good idea how it looks by viewing the article above. This was in the February 2009 addition of Get woodworking.

Hopefully some one may offer the right advice.....

Marc

Delete15/11/2009 01:35:03
575 forum posts
I have used both a workmate and a bench vice with two pieces of timber to hold the Saw when sharpening. The important thing is to hold the saw straight and firm, Whilst allowing easy acces with the sharpening file. Not Rocket science.
Andy King15/11/2009 23:13:54
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Gareth,

if you mean the vice in the picture I did do it as  a small project in the magazine - i'm away from my work computer at the moment so i'll check it out and let you know which issue asap.
Other than that, I don't recall a saw vice that fits in a bench vice. Disston used to make one, and these pop up occasionally on Ebay, but other than that, nothing rings a bell. 

cheers,
Andy
Andy King16/11/2009 12:44:27
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
OK, just checked and the sharpening horse in the pic I made in issue 159. I can scan it and post up if you need it, but i'll be away at the Harrogate show from wednesday evening.

cheers,
Andy
Gareth Lewis18/11/2009 11:02:42
5 forum posts
Hi Andy

Thanks very much for the info on the sharpening horse. As a bit of a cleptomaniac I still have a copy of issue 159, thus I have found the relavent article.

Just one query the drawing shows a square cut to the leg at the hinge and the photo shows a sloping cut. I assume it would be better with a sloping cut  with a slight differnce in the slope angle between the two components in order to exagerate slightly thepinching effect agains t the faces of the saw.

Thanks again 

Gareth
Oddjob18/11/2009 12:46:32
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Andy

Gareth is fortunate to have a copy of issue 159.  Unfortunately mine don't go back that bfar and the archive only goes back to 18 I think.  I would be good if you could scan and post it as you offer above.
Thanks in anticipation.

Richard
Andy King18/11/2009 20:08:32
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

OK Richard, hopefully these should be clickable to show full size if needed. (I think the on line archive is only back to when Good Woodworking was bought from Future publishing. There were no online archives made in the Future days)
Gareth, you are right, the shoulder should slope, it was back in the days of John Lander our illustrator at Future Publishing and he didn't follow my initial sketch correctly.

Cheers,
Andy

Andy King18/11/2009 20:09:50
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
well there was a scan of some words as well a minute ago! Don't know what happened there! second time lucky...

Edited By Andy King on 18/11/2009 20:10:27

Ron Davis18/11/2009 20:14:21
1606 forum posts
201 photos
Back in the days when my Dad was a chippy, he had a frame for sharpening saws. The frame was like Andy's but the top bars (That hold the saw) had a sloping cut near each endwhich matched a vee in the frame. To tighten the saw you just tapped the bars in and the vee gave a wedge action.

Ron
Andy King18/11/2009 22:02:58
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
hi Ron,

Yep, i've made a few that way as well, it was the way I was shown either at college or on of the old guys on site. The main problem, even when drilling a relief hole was that over the course of time, the wedging action would eventually start to split the uprights. Setting a saw to the right height for filing was maybe a tad more tricky as well.
This one eliminates any chance of splitting, plus you simply slacken the wingnuts and the saw slips in easily and can be positioned for height very easily.

cheers,
Andy
Oddjob19/11/2009 11:59:50
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Thanks Andy

All is now clear.

Richard
Gareth Lewis20/11/2009 17:33:09
5 forum posts
Thanks Andy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact