By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wickes "professional" sander now useless

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Farnell05/11/2009 10:17:45
18 forum posts
18 photos
I have a Wickes professional detail sander with triangular backing pad 110mm across, sold in most of their stores.  The hook and loop ("velcro") backing pad has worn bald and Wickes say they are unable to supply a replacement.  So my 40 odd quid investment is now useless.  Apparently the tool (and the backing pads) are made by Draper who, according to Wickes, have been much less than helpful when they inquired on my behalf about supplying a replacement. 

The important lesson is not to buy a sander until you know how freely available are the replacement pads!!

Does anyone know where any of these backing pads might be hiding somewhere in the supply chain.
Sparky05/11/2009 13:42:07
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Peter
Why not try getting some velcro, cutting it to shape and stick that on the sander with some strong glue (carpet glue would be best as it sticks to anything)..........

Marc
Big Al05/11/2009 15:13:58
1598 forum posts
73 photos
My first random orbital sander was a makita, and the velcro base wore out a couple of times before the sander expired its wish to operate any more. I was always able to get replacement pads from an independent tool shop, so it maybe worth taking your sander along to a dealer that can obtain spare parts. If it is made by draper then you should be able to get a new base for it.

Al 
Ron Davis05/11/2009 16:23:07
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Try Axminster, they had self adhesive velcro

Ron
Delete08/11/2009 18:43:31
575 forum posts
This is a problem with hook and loop pads on lots of machines. Some years I was using a lot of sanding sheets and found the hooks gave up the ghost after about a dozen sheets.  My solution was th sand away the remains of the hooks. I then bought self adhesive pads. The machine I was using had air holes for the dust collection the pads I could buy did not have the holes. I made a jig out of ply with holes in the right places and used a machine screw and hammer to cut the holes. It takes me 5 minutes to cut  a load of discs and the machine is still going strong. I now would not bother with hook and loop always self adhesive for me
In the case of a Delta style sander it is easy enough to get rolls of adhesive Sanding material and easy to cut to size and shape.

Edited By Roger B on 08/11/2009 18:46:06

Peter Farnell12/11/2009 22:31:09
18 forum posts
18 photos
Many thanks to all those who've been so helpful.  Some great ideas....
Peter Ing 127/01/2010 19:35:35
7 forum posts
Hello Peter

I know this is a late response but I have only recently joined the forums I only hope you have not scrapped your tool

I assume you are talking about the 200 W detail sander which is grey in colour. If so I may be able to assist.I have an older but identical model and like you had the same unhelpful response from Wickes.

However they are wrong that Draper make the proffesional range of tools they are made by the German company KRESS.

Draper only market them in the UK. However they can supply spares via one of their agents. I Dont know where you live in the country but the one they sent me to was SYMBLES tel 01923 - 467676 I bought a couple of them a few months ago and they were £8.20 each + postage.

If you get no response from SYMBLES speak to Draper Direct on 02380 494344 I found them very helpful

You would think Wickes would supply these as it is a wear part I am sure we are not the only ones with this sander and it would be good revenue for them and more convenient for us owners

Good luck and let me know how you get on

John o' G13/02/2013 12:18:32
1 forum posts

I have a Wicks Eccentric 250w sander (grey 125mm eight holes) with hook and loop pad which also wore out. Dewalt do a 125mm model with similar pad, so ordered pad from -FIXIT POWER TOOLS

5 Llewelyn Road

Colwyn Bay LL29 9AP

United Kingdom

sales@powertoolvault.co.uk

part number "DeWALT 151281-06 DT3600 Pad for DW421 DW423 D26453 Random Orbit Sanders" cost £15.08 + £3 postage.

The only difference is the 3 screw hole alignment, so removed old pad and used as a template and placed it back to back, aligning the eight large holes. I then used a refill of a pen to draw three circles through the three holes in the old pad. Then drilled three new holes in new pad, then with bigger bit drilled the rubber to accommodate the screw heads, then smoothed over any burs with a soldering iron, replaced screws and all works perfect.

Good luck to all-Regards

John.

Andy Stratford07/09/2016 11:06:01
1 forum posts

You can still get the sanders pads for the Wickes 200w detail sander from the guys below for £8.90. My pad lasted a long time I think I have had the sander for 10 years.

Edited By Derek Lane on 07/09/2016 16:39:09

The link you supplied did not go to the pads so removed it. please try again with the correct link

Edited By Derek Lane on 07/09/2016 16:40:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact