By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sparky's Trinket Box

Made from oak and mahognay offcuts for Christmas!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Olly Parry-Jones04/11/2009 08:20:46
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Marc,

Very nice work, I really like it. At your current rate, you''ll have all your Christmas presents sorted by the end of November!

Are those hand-cut dovetails?

Looking at this next picture...

Please, don''t tell me you''ve left pozi screws on there?!?

Look forward to seeing the next Christmas present!

Olly.

robert dignam04/11/2009 09:05:02
194 forum posts
134 photos
hi sparky very nice very nice indeed
Big Al04/11/2009 10:09:14
1604 forum posts
73 photos
It's very different, you certainly have a mind for design. I do like the box, however I do have a criticism, and that is I dont like the way that you have fitted the hinges.

Al 
Dave Atkinson04/11/2009 13:38:33
672 forum posts
115 photos
Nice piece of work marc

Cheers Dave
Alan T.04/11/2009 16:25:53
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Marc,
                   Very nice mate. Trouble is the recipient will want some trinkets to put in it. Expensive?  Alan  T.
Derek Lane04/11/2009 16:46:30
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Great box and design. I agree with Big Al about the hinges and the use of pozi screws
Ralph Harvey04/11/2009 22:05:02
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

I like it, the handle is a little unusual bet it was fiddly to mould ? and i must agree with the hinge problem, but they are on the back and out of sight,

look forward to the next one, what shape will that be ? a diamond maybe ?

Ralph 
Sparky04/11/2009 22:07:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Olly
Thanks mate.
I'm on number two for Christmas now........the last (triangular box) is for mother's birthday this month so, I had to do that first didnt I

Yes, all hand cut dovetails.........I'm really enjoying cutting them and its nice to use different woods.
Yes I know there pozis, the flat heads that came with the hinges are (excuse the language) crap!........fitting the first screw and it sheared off so, I had to drill that out and place pozis until I get some decent brass screws.
Thanks again mate.

Hi Robert.
Thanks to you too

Hi Al.
 Cheers mate.
I'm certainly trying to get the cogs working in the head for these boxes!
Regarding the hinges. I had a problem in sourcing hinges for the lid design and these seem to fit perfectly...

even though the lid is slightly opened in this shot, they fitted nicely under the lip of the lid. I do however know they should be the other way around but, I just fancied having it this way. I appreciate your comments though Al, thanks mate.

Hi Dave
Cheers mate.

Hi Alan
I'm glad these boxes are going to my daughters and even happier that they have plenty of jewellery to fit inside.......just!
Thanks mate

Hi Derek
 Cheers mate.
Hopefully the explanation above will answer your criticism.
Again, appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Marc

Sparky04/11/2009 22:18:49
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph

Thank you mate.
The knob was fun to do. I cut and planed the basic shape and then held the knob at certain angles and then planed each edge. The middle design was meant to have a light coloured wood with the Mahogany plug placed in the middle of that.......well, the light wood (some offcut that Mike Garnham passed to me) was so brittle that when I came to cut the hole, it just broke apart so, I stuck the plug in, waited for it to dry and then used a larger plug cutter and twisted it around by hand until the wood came out and left a smooth grove........coloured the groove black and then used epoxy resin to fill the gap.........It didn't come out to bad but, I will change the way I did it in the future...........

Thanks again.

Marc
Oddjob04/11/2009 22:27:46
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Marc

It hurts me to criticise any of your wonderful work but you really have spoiled this beautifully made box with the hinges.  It would have looked better if they had been nicely let in to the box and lid.  However,  you didn't really need anything special - just small brass butts let in conventionally on the box top edge and a little in from the edge of the lid.  O'K - the lid would then only open to vertical but why would you want it to fold back?

Sorry to criticise my friend but we know that you, unlike me, can do better.

Richard
Sparky04/11/2009 22:49:24
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Richard
Thank you for your comment my friend.

I did try out various hinges and these were the only ones I had that made the lid open the way it does. If I had used 'normal' butt hinges, the lid wouldn't have been lifted away from the groove set in the lid which fits the box sides (If you understand what I'm trying to say )

The lid sits over the edges of the sides and the hinge lifts it nicely up and over the edges.

Yes I could of set the hinges in the wood but, I still wouldn't be able to get the lid to lift up and over the lips.

Still, its something I'm learning and having help from you all makes it a lot easier to do.

Appreciate all of your comments.

Cheers

Marc
Doug05/11/2009 18:34:08
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I like it Marc.

I can fully understand your problem with the hinges & the rebate in the lid, i was surprised to see the rebate when i first looked at the box in your album.

Perhaps next time, don`t bother with the rebate & use a standard butt hinge.

All a learning curve my friend, if we never made a mistake, we would never make anything.

Cheers.

Baz  
Big Al05/11/2009 19:51:39
1604 forum posts
73 photos
The day that we dont make a mistake is the day that we will be able to walk on water.

Al 
George Arnold05/11/2009 20:35:55
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sparky
That is an excellent piece of work, the dove tails look perfect, I agree about the hinges and screws, is it not possible to let the hinges in under the lid.
 George
steve h05/11/2009 22:55:04
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi Sparky,>>

>>

Just love boxes like that, I really like the reverse symmetry of the lid and base and then the contrasting reflection of wood types in the feet and the handle, I would have been very pleased to have made a piece like that!>>

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact