By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Working with template guides

Getting much more from your router with greater safety

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Template Tom17/10/2009 10:48:45
35 forum posts
42 photos
I have visited a number of forums to see if there is any interest in the use of the Template Guides (Guide bushes) I would be interested in the success others are having with the guides. I use them extensively as I consider their use adds greater safety awareness with the use of the router. So safe I taught people who have vision impairment and in some instances totally blind how to use the router
Oddjob17/10/2009 14:23:08
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Tom

This is a bit of an odd question.  Use of guide bushes is vital for many router applications.  You either have success with using them or you do not use the router - simple as that I think.

Richard
Ivor the engine17/10/2009 15:35:53
270 forum posts
46 photos
Tom,  Can you go into more detail, with may be some pics,

Ivor.
Template Tom18/10/2009 04:56:54
35 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Oddjob on 17/10/2009 14:23:08:
Tom

This is a bit of an odd question.  Use of guide bushes is vital for many router applications.  You either have success with using them or you do not use the router - simple as that I think.

Richard

Richard

From my experience demonstrating at a number of wood shows over the years I had come to the conclusion that not many router users actually use the guides unless they were working with a 'Male' template to reproduce the same article over and over again, or maybe routing dovetails or finger joints, and in some instances routing trenches (Dadoes) I would be interested in the success you have personally with the use of the guides and any others who may find their way to this thread.

There is more to using the router than we think. I certainly found that out when I was refurbishing executive aircraft when I had my Cabinet making  business before I retired. Prior to that time I spent 30 years teaching the art of woodwork in our High schools in Scotland 10 years and  here in Western Australia 20 years. When I first was introduced to the router it was placed in the router table as like all other users that is where it was said it should go. Over all those years I was wrong and so are the others who did what I have done. There is a forum where it is suggested that 90% of all routing operations can be performed with the router in the router table. I can produce numerous project material that is not suitable for producing in the table mode. 

I was interested in what others are doing with the use of the guides

Tom

Template Tom18/10/2009 05:03:38
35 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Ivor the engine on 17/10/2009 15:35:53:
Tom,  Can you go into more detail, with may be some pics,

Ivor.
 Where would you like me to begin post a question on the use of the guides I could be of help to you
Tom
Ivor the engine18/10/2009 11:50:51
270 forum posts
46 photos
Hi! Tom,
  Thank you for your PM,
 Give me a little time to reply as i am going over a book i have "Techniques of Routing by Jim Phillips" which contains "Routing aids and templates"  i have only had a router for 25 years, have done a bit with templates making up doors as i was a kitchen fitter and have seen jigs for routing of spindles,and understand that a router is or was made for free hand work not in a table and thus making it more versatile tool,

As i said give me a bit of time and i will get back to you,

The most interesting post i have seen in a long time,

Take care,

Ivor.

PS Where abouts in Australia are you as i have friends out there.

Mike Jordan18/10/2009 18:55:41
160 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Tom
Your post interested me, since your experience of router use is exactly the opposite of mine. I didn't meet one until the mid sixties when i joined a firm that had a one horsepower machine of italian make, Centec by name. These lasted about 12 to 18 months in fairly hard use and were always used with a machine mounted fence, a template and guide bush, or a bearing guided cutter. The machines prime function was to trench stair strings, (really heavy work)
 I didn't see a router table in use until the router became cheap enough for everyone to own. I still don't own a router table but frequently  invert the machine and use a piece of ply as a working surface when rounding over edges etc on small pieces.
I'm fortunate in owning a spindle moulder which replaces most of the functions of the router/ table set up. The router has revolutionised all sorts of woodworking jobs but still remains a nasty noisy dusty but totally invaluable brute!
I usually cut trenches with a guide bush and template or simply using the flat side of the router base against a straight edge. The following pics show a few templates and a device to mount the router on a radial arm saw. Hope this helps.
Mike

Edited By Mike Jordan on 18/10/2009 19:01:09

Template Tom19/10/2009 01:21:35
35 forum posts
42 photos
Thank you Mike for your reply and I see from your second pic is the first router table I ever used. Like you i had some experience in a large woodworking area where spindle  moulders were in use and during lunch times you found out who had been using them by looking at there hands. Like today there are more accidents with the router in the table use than in the hand held position. I suppose that is understandable as more routers are used in the table. I have developed these techniques with a hand held router for that particular reason to add greater safety with the router. I have conducted router workshops and professional development for a number of teachers and professional woodworkers. But what I have devoted my efforts on is the person who has limited experience with the router to ensure they are using it with greater safety. Many of the articles I have seen written  where the process was completed in the table mode I would  change it to the hand held position. I have stated that everyone will get more from their router if they take it out of the table on some occasion for certain processes.Now that I know how to submit pics I will add a few more to my album.
Tom
Template Tom19/10/2009 01:26:05
35 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Ivor the engine on 18/10/2009 11:50:51:
Hi! Tom,
  Thank you for your PM,
 Give me a little time to reply as i am going over a book i have "Techniques of Routing by Jim Phillips" which contains "Routing aids and templates"  i have only had a router for 25 years, have done a bit with templates making up doors as i was a kitchen fitter and have seen jigs for routing of spindles,and understand that a router is or was made for free hand work not in a table and thus making it more versatile tool,

As i said give me a bit of time and i will get back to you,

The most interesting post i have seen in a long time,

Take care,

Ivor.

Ivor that book would be a great place to start it will get us asking 'why that way' and not in the table. Look forward to your next posting.

Sunny Perth in Western Australia been here 43 years coming from Scotland

Tom

PS Where abouts in Australia are you as i have friends out there.

Template Tom19/10/2009 09:42:33
35 forum posts
42 photos
One of the projects I produced a number of years ago was a small wine Table with three legs. Setting out the initial design I decided that it would be safer to use the router in the plunge mode instead of the conventional method of using a bearing cutter in the router table.I have added pics to my album illustrating the design and the templates used. Today I set out to produce the same legs using my new techniques I have just developed and hope to have results soon.
Tom
Sparky19/10/2009 20:17:49
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Tom

As your asking the where-a-bouts of members, if you fill in your profile (link found on the left hand side under 'My Account').

By doing this, people will be able to get to know more about you as some may not read this thread.

You can find out about the others by clicking on their names next to the comments.

Cheers

Marc
Template Tom21/10/2009 06:36:30
35 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by sparky on 19/10/2009 20:17:49:
Hi Tom

As your asking the where-a-bouts of members, if you fill in your profile (link found on the left hand side under 'My Account').

By doing this, people will be able to get to know more about you as some may not read this thread.

You can find out about the others by clicking on their names next to the comments.

Cheers

Marc

Marc

I am really interested in members who may use the template guides and what sort of projects they produce with the use of the guides. Looking through members photos There are few projects completed with the use of the guides.

Once upon a time I was able to purchase two Routing magazines I know the 'Routing ' Mag was disbanded for want of a better word. Personally I think it was due to the lack of new and exciting projects as we were getting them repeated using the same old method that people have been using for years. Not sure if 'The Router' is still available. I have written a number of articles on routing which I was going to publish in book form but due to the high cost I ended up producing a CD-ROM where people could download the information and print their own copy. If 'The Router' mag is still in existence I would like to offer my article to try and bring some more interest into the use of the router 

Reading through earlier postings I noticed there was some concern re the drop of in members and the number of postings, again this could be as someone said "All we get is the same old material" and therefore they loose interest.

Tom

Sparky21/10/2009 21:31:08
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Tom

I cant see a problem with you writing a couple of articles for this site. As you say, there are plenty of woodworkers who use routers and I for one would love to know more tips & tricks.

Start writing!

Marc
Template Tom22/10/2009 11:02:28
35 forum posts
42 photos
Trying to create some interest with the router. 
Above is a simple leg for a small table we have to ask ourselves "Where do we Begin"?
Taking a look at the pics I have presented will show the method I had selected, that is to prepare two 'Female 'Templates instead of the conventional method of working with a 'Male' template. Also I chose not to use the router in the table but in the handheld position. For Safety reasons. Today I also upgraded a method I have been using for years to introduce another feature to the design of the leg. I will post some pics of the final results showing a variety of designs should there be any interest in the method I have adopted. It does involve the 40mm template guides in fact most of my projects are produced with the aid of the 40mm Guide.
Tom
Template Tom23/10/2009 10:02:04
35 forum posts
42 photos
Here are the samples I produced yesterday I tried a few ideas re the design on the side if the leg and came up with this one material is pine for the trial
Tom

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact