baby rattle- how to

basic rattle, quick and fun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Vaughn13/10/2009 21:11:34
92 forum posts
34 photos
Hi all

thought i''d try my hand at a basic how to, maybe for some of the new turners. if you follow the photo''s in my album, you''ll see 1. the blank, 2. the blank cut into three pieces, with a section hollowed out on the drill presss.3. the blank reassembled, with careful attention paid to re-aligning the grain, and after peppercorns were put in to create the sound.4. rough turned, and i decided to burn lines in with wire, to disguise the glue lines.5. the finished product, 4 inches by 1.5 inches, which is accepted by the US dept of safety as large enough not to be a choking hazard for the wee ''uns! hope you find it interesting, i have three pregnant friends right now, and needed an idea for a gift!
Tommy mc glynn 113/10/2009 22:09:48
291 forum posts
1 photos
vavghn
 A nice babys rattle looks like the right size for a babby hand. and a nice eacy to flow how to. you have been busy , In the work shop that is
Derek Lane14/10/2009 12:44:38
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I like it. nice and simple yet serves it purpose. A good little how to Vaughn
Sparky14/10/2009 14:39:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos
  1. the blank

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. the blank cut into three pieces, with a section hollowed out on the drill press.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. the blank reassembled, with careful attention paid to re-aligning the grain, and after peppercorns were put in to create the sound.

4. rough turned, and i decided to burn lines in with wire, to disguise the glue lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 5. the finished product, 4 inches by 1.5 inches, which is accepted by the US dept of safety as large enough not to be a choking hazard for the wee ''uns!

==================================================

An excellent 'How to' Vaughn, 
thanks for sharing mate.

Marc

Alan T.14/10/2009 18:54:26
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Vaughn,
                  Nice one ,like it a lot. You didn't indicate whether you were making three and which timbers would be suitable as inevitably they will get tasted if not chewed.  Well done.   Alan  T.
Ralph Harvey14/10/2009 22:20:20
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Vaughn

Thats a great little rattle, well done with the "how to"

Ralph
Vaughn19/10/2009 10:44:15
92 forum posts
34 photos
hi alan

i used Kiaat, which is non toxic, and i used food safe oil to shine it up. not really sure which wood is best suited, i went with a close grain to make it nice and smooth. i will be making more, the one in the photo's was very well received.

thanks to all for the kind comments as always!
Dave Atkinson19/10/2009 13:03:14
672 forum posts
115 photos
a great how to Vaughn

cheers Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact