By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Good Woodworking issue 203

Your thoughts?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug30/06/2008 09:53:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

The old Midlands show was run, i think by Nexus, the magazine publishers.

There were some very good prizes to be won so this might be why enteries were high, in both number & quality.

The show wasn`t run last year, so i went for the first (& last) time to the Ally Pally, & was very dissapointed.

I can`t say what this years Midlands show will be like, i hope i won`t be dissapointed. I`ve been told it`s being run by the same people who do Harrowgate show, which is said to be excellent. Only time will tell.

Baz

Mike Garnham30/06/2008 09:53:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

......further to my previous.........

David Savage's chairs here have only half a dozen or so joins in them. I am no more interested in the the construction of the joints than I am in this years tractor production figures from Kazakhstan.........don't tell me how me made these...........tell me why they look as they do. What was their inspiration, their genesis, their design evolution?

Furthermore, can someone tell me why I am on GW when I should be designing a house? The answer, I'm afraid, is implicit in the question!

Olly Parry-Jones30/06/2008 10:44:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Mike, if you want to see some 'inspirational' furniture then the one in Cheltenham towards the end of August is supposed to be one of the best around. I'm guessing it's too far for you to travel but, if you were in the area, it sounds like it would be worth a visit.

You also asked how the two magazines were different from one another... Well, as I've only recently started reading Woodworker, I don't think I can answer that. Plus, they've a new editor in Ralph Laughton, so that could all well change anyway.

Feel free to comment or correct me if anyone thinks I'm wrong here, but Woodworker seems to have a focus on projects and techniques while Good Wood is willing to go further in to Design and Inspiration?

Mike Garnham30/06/2008 10:58:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Olly,

with holiday plans just beginning to evolve, Cheltenham in late August isn't impossible.... 

Olly Parry-Jones30/06/2008 11:08:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Mike, here's the link.
Mike Garnham30/06/2008 11:16:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks Olly.
Mike Riley30/06/2008 11:21:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
There's also Westonbirt coming up at the end of August Mike. http://www.classichandtools.com/ Cheers Mike
Woodworker30/06/2008 11:28:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi guys, I know it's relevant to this thread but it would be a good idea to post any info on upcoming exhibitions in the 'Woodworking Exhibitions' folder too, to stimulate debate and get more members enthusiastic about going. Cheers, Ben
Mike Garnham30/06/2008 11:35:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Cheers Mike, much appreciated.....the 2 could fit in well together. Now, if there just happened to be a Running show nearby at the same time, my wife would be easily persuadable!!!

Hey Ben, you're back! Where have you been?

Mike 

Woodworker30/06/2008 11:42:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Mike, I've had a few days away but I'm back now and firing on all cylinders. Looks like I've got a bit of catching up to do. Ben
Ralph Harvey30/06/2008 22:07:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Baz

I remember the good old days when there were masses of competitions at the Midlands show, it was well worth a visit if only to see that. this year it dosn't look like there are any competitions according to the running order posted on the link at the other thread ?

Mike I agree to a point the emfasis is too much on the tool rather than what the person can achieve, i like to see a way of doing something rather than a way to do a project ? if that makes sense, i like to be inspired to use a technique to create something of my own.

As to the point of GWW's way of "publishing" there interest in this site. as i said earlier the Section they print bears no real relevance to what is going on other than a brief attempt at humour, that would not make me even read it again let alone go to the site to see what it's all about. and to say

"I can't see that it needs more space and I don't think there's anything much there to get heated over. Worse has been posted here."

I could go as far as to say i would prefer to see the section removed and give the space to a more relevent readers question or a tip on how to do something.

Everyone is entitled to there own oppinion this is mine that is yours so be it.

Ralph

Andy King02/07/2008 22:59:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Guys,

I've been a bit snowed under with mag stuff for the last week or so (deadlines!)

Anyway, just read through the postings here, and I think the idea of the small section on the Get Woodworking forum printed in Goodwood is much the same as is being discussed here, with some posters not reading magazines, the same may be said for the magazine readers who don't visit forums.

The idea, I would think, (though don't quote me on it, I don't do the editorial bits!) is to try and get mag readers to become forum active, and although not so likely, the occasional forum user buying the mag(s).

Content for projects, whether aspirational/inspirational or otherwise is always difficult, much the same as other mag content, trying to keep all readers or potential readers happy is always tricky.

Adjusting the balance towards one end alienates the other, and can lose readers, and it's often the case that American mags or furniture and cabinetmaking are discussed as they way to go.

Budgets for American mags are huge by comparison to UK ones, with an average of 100k plus readers and a staff of at least ten or more per mag. Here, both Woodworker and Goodwood run with only two or three full time editorial staff per magazine.

Furniture and cabinet is a very focussed mag, but has nowhere near the readership levels of Woodworker and Goodwood, and to try and go down that route would leave one or both in peril I would imagine, and there is a need for general woodworking that covers or touches more bases, which is where both our mags sit, albeit from different angles and approaches.

I hope by me writing this doesn't upset anyone, it's not my intention, it's just to try and clarify what i believe is the magazines positions. Even so, no doubt the posting have been read and noted at HQ, and i'm always happy to listen help and offer advice whenever I can, so feel free to post here or email me directly. Enail probably better if it's important,as it's all to easy to miss a posting on a busy forum!

andy.king3@btconnect.com or andy.king@magicalia.com the magicalia one is tempermental as it has to be e-routed through our server, so the BT one is often quicker and more reliable.

Oh yes Olly, I said Darren Lucozade!

Now a quick question for Ben -

why does my home computer (PC) keep making paragraphs when I hit the return instead of simply starting directly below? (like in this posting)

cheers,

Andy

Ralph Harvey02/07/2008 23:14:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Andy

Thanks for the response ,and i can appreciate that as the content of the magazine is concerned it is essential to follow a proven method, which will not suit all the people all the time, but as you say the budget wont allow,

However the issue of the this site, to encourage readers to view the site and site members to possibly purchase the mags, i don't see how it works when the mention in the mag has very little reference to the "woodwork" on the site, a couple of jokes and the names of a few members would not encourage me to look further! and as this thread has mentioned earlier the few who posted there comment who did buy the mag have said they would probably not next month.

I am sorry if this is negative feedback and i realise your hands are tied budget wise but if you want to encourage readers to view the site show them or explain to them how it will help them.!

Ralph

Andy King03/07/2008 10:00:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Ralph,

That's fair comment - but I think the idea may be to intrigue a non-forum reader to maybe take a peek and then remain and post. The other side of it is to indicate that although there is obviously woodwork there is also humour, so again, maybe a hook. Goodwood follows similar lines, hopefully offering good woodworking advice when required, but still able to show a little bit of humour or lightheartedness to keep it from being sterile.

cheers

Andy

Olly Parry-Jones03/07/2008 11:12:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
There is also a full-page advert for this site, I think it's just before Andy starts talking about his new toys. Got to be honest though, I didn't even notice it first time round! I have seen it before in Woodworker, but I wonder how someone who's not already signed up would approach it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact