By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Good Woodworking issue 203

Your thoughts?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Olly Parry-Jones28/06/2008 09:58:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I'm a bit surprised to see no-one else has already decided to start discussing the latest issue (I assume that's why they put it up as a news article!) As with many of the recent issues, I find the articles to be very well written and well worth a read. Very interesting to read how two people have gotten in to woodwork from other backgrounds; product design and graphic design, as I've always felt destined to heard down that route myself. A great tribute to the late John Brown, though I'm sorry to say he was a bit before my time with the magazine. They've been critisised in recent issues for being too "arty" but it looks like they're trying to stear away from that now to suit what the readers want to see. I enjoyed most of the projects featured this issue but felt the "three-hour" Tile Top Coffee Table looked a little out of place... I'm all for beginner's projects, of course, but I think it may have been better suited to The Woodworker, where Ralph has recently explored Pocket Screwing systems...? So, if you've read issue 203 and want to make you're voice heard (well, read, actually...), this is probably the best place to do it!
Sparky28/06/2008 12:33:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I'm interested into who writes up about this site's forum.......I'm still annoyed at deformation of character!

Other than that........not bad I thought.......still havent read it all yet..........

Marc 

Ralph Harvey28/06/2008 14:08:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Marc

I dont know who writes the site site bit, but the silly little bit tucked at the bottom of the page realy dosn't do the site much justice, how about some real news about the site. What i read would'nt make me want to go have a look !

Ralph

Sparky28/06/2008 15:18:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I'll second that mate.........

I wonder if I could sue for slander!

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9797/jebsthinkaboutitde3.gif

George Arnold28/06/2008 17:44:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Sparky

Not a chance, Your remarks can only be taken as good humour                                     The write up on the table says three hours in one place and 360 minutes in another?  Unless things have changed since I went to school 3 hours has only 180 mins,?

I liked the article on boxes using a very simple tool kit the boxes looked excellent, why does'nt the  Good Woodworking include the projects from this site in it, it's the only magazine I take, and I,'m not rushing out to buy another.

What do you think of the offer on the Tormek grinder in the Brimark catalogue, I would rather have £50 off than another carving knife! I know the actual value to them is not the £50 that would be the retail price.

George

Sparky28/06/2008 17:54:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6189/jebswinkhk2.gif

Regarding Tormek, I like my India oil stone to much

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9601/jebsthumbsupnk3.gif

Doug28/06/2008 17:59:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Sparky

What is the write up like, i don`t buy Good woodworking, what have you found offencive.

Bit in the dark, please enlighten.

Baz

George Arnold28/06/2008 18:55:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Baz

There was nothing for Sparky to take offence at , it just alluded to the fact that Sparky had promised not to take the mickey, as if he would and the fact he passed comment on the delights on the last two front covers of the mag, ie two delightful ladies who where working in wood,

George

Ralph Harvey28/06/2008 20:05:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

George

I must admit I bought the Magazine (and probably wont next month) but it still threw me as to the meaning of the statement,? now it makes sense.

Perhaps we should start a thread with what we want in the small slot allotted to this site in the magazine, Might improve it ?.

Ralph

Olly Parry-Jones28/06/2008 20:44:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I asked Andy about this the other day and while he somehow managed to avoid answering my question and instead ramble on about something else (only joking Andy, I know you're probably reading this!! ), Mike Riley reckons it's either Jon Bentman or Darren "Mercedes", as Andy puts it.

My money's on Jon or maybe even Dave Roberts... I'm probably about the same age as Darren, so I don't think he quite has to right to refer to me as "young"...!

As I mentioned to Andy also, it would be nice to see some of these guys on here from time to time.

Sparky, it won't end there... I had the same treatment last month and now I'm getting "bowled out" by Mike or something!

Sparky28/06/2008 21:12:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Is Ben on holiday?...........hes been very quite of late
Olly Parry-Jones28/06/2008 21:17:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I'd guess he's out being busy with his new role in the magazine, though he I don't often see him posting during the weekends. He did mention he was down in Devon fitting a kitchen for someone a few weeks ago, which I would've thought is all done with by now... That still doesn't explain why he still hasn't uploaded any photo's yet though!

Or, maybe he's the one secretly filling in the Green Box in Good Woodworking and he's trying to keep a very low profile....

Ralph Harvey28/06/2008 21:18:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Funny you say that Olly i met Dave in tesco last month and he mentioned he "watched the site as part of his job" so you might be right there.

Ralph

Sparky28/06/2008 21:33:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mmmm interesting...............
Mike Garnham28/06/2008 21:45:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Who are all these people?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact