By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Vaugns home made tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Ron Davis07/10/2009 20:13:49
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Some really good stuff here Vaugn, I will definitely copy the bowl jaws.

How did you make the carbide tips? they look to be really usefull.

Good photos

Ron
Vaughn07/10/2009 20:30:08
92 forum posts
34 photos
hi ron

the carbide tips are store bought. i just cut a length of square bar, and tapped a thread into it to hold the tip tight. the nice thing about the tips is you can rotate them, and use all the sides before it is truly blunt. i've had the one in the photo for a year, and it's not blunt yet.

the bowl jaw was really easy to make. i cut it to fit the maximum swing on my lathe, and cut six grooves with the router. i made some indents just to help with centering the bowls. the hold downs are 1/4 inch by 2 inch bolts with butterfly nuts, and small doorstops. it works really well, but watch the knuckles!

cheers
vaughn
Sparky07/10/2009 20:46:03
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Vaughn
This is something I may be able to make. Its simple and all the parts can be found in my shed......somewhere.

I noticed in this image............

The wood looks slightly pulled out rather than scraped, is this from the tool or just the type of wood.................awkward grain?

Marc

Alan T.08/10/2009 08:51:42
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Vaughn,
                       Like the cole type chuck, much better than mine which just uses woodscrews. Not too sure about the gouge though, looks like it would take an awful lot of sanding to finish the bowl off if that if that is the surface using the tool produces.  Cheers   Alan  T. 

Edited By Alan T. on 08/10/2009 08:52:23

Vaughn08/10/2009 12:44:17
92 forum posts
34 photos
Hi Marc and Alan

The surface produced is much better than this. the picture was taken while roughing, and i was using it very aggresively. also, the wood, bluegum/eucalyptus was rock hard. i couldn't get shavings with any of my gouges, only dust. that said, it does work alot better on wet wood. i also use a round cutter, which seems to leave a smoother edge. the makers of the "original" market theirs as a "serious wood removal" tool.

cheers
vaughn
George Arnold08/10/2009 19:34:29
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Vaughn
 I had a close up look at your pictures and must agree with the others ref the finish of the tool, like the bowl chuck for reverse turning, I have a set of cole jaws I got when I purchased another lathe, but have yet to use them.

George 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact