Listen up all you Woodturners...

Our Turning Competition is Back!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodworker01/10/2009 11:16:48
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Out turning competition is making a comeback at the Get Woodworking Live exhibition next March... 

I've posted a news story on the home page. Click here for more details.

Edited By Ben Plewes on 01/10/2009 11:17:46

Sparky01/10/2009 14:25:33
7631 forum posts
22 photos
If thats not an invite for Ralph, Baz, Dave A, George, Dennis, Alan T, Derek, Ron, Richard (Oddjob), Sad Sam, Vaughn, Cedric, Alan (Four Wheeler), Robert, Michael, Wolfie, Alistair, Mark, Big Ian, and a few others I don't know what is!!

Come on lads, all of you are great at turning so this would be good time to mingle.....

Tickets still available >> HERE <<

Marc
Derek Lane01/10/2009 18:27:08
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Sparky

I'm definitely not that good
Sparky01/10/2009 18:39:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Derek

I think you under estimate your skill..........cant hurt by trying mate.

Marc
Dave Atkinson01/10/2009 18:43:52
672 forum posts
115 photos
Derek

Why not?  I used to think that but turning something for a contest and actually seeing it out there is a great thrill, even if you don't get placed.

And like Marc says I think you under-estimate yourself.

Let's go for it

Cheers Dave
George Arnold01/10/2009 19:27:25
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I suppose the reason we don't enter is a negative attitude ," we might fail" it's difficult  to go down the competition route for most of us when you see  the standard of some of the entries in these competitions..

George
Alan T.01/10/2009 20:21:35
1033 forum posts
98 photos
That sounds interesting. Never entered anything like this nor even thought to do so.Nothing ventured nothing gained applies I suppose. Look forward to learning more.  Alan  T. 
Ron Davis01/10/2009 20:24:38
1606 forum posts
201 photos
There is some debate in the new Bury St Edmunds Woodturning club about competitions, some think that it will dicourage the non winners. My own view is that when we turn for a competition we make that extra bit of effort knowing that it will be judged by someone. I see it as a way of improving our skills, and ambition
  I suppose I will now have to enter, do we get a free entry if we do?

Ron
Sparky01/10/2009 20:33:53
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Alan & Ron.
Great attitudes lads.

More details are to follow Ron

Marc
dennis wake01/10/2009 23:16:39
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
enterd a compertition a few years ago and got third ( do not stert your applades just yet there were only 3 entrys in it.). i would be intarested in entering but i am un able to get down there. will there be a posability of entering by post . could we maybe if entrents willing auction of the entrys and donate the prosiedes to the show charety .all i would be interested in is to be told what it went for and what the charety was. i would be happy to do that.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 01/10/2009 23:19:56

Dave Atkinson02/10/2009 10:54:45
672 forum posts
115 photos
Ron

well done setting up the new club.  At our club we have two competitions each month - turners and advanced.  There are different subjects for each month with the turners being slightly different to the advanced.  At each meeting about 6 people who haven't entered are asked to judge them.  We give each entry a number.  Points are awarded for 1st 2nd and 3rd and a point for entering.  then we have a league table.  It's all for fun, no critiques.

If you want more detail about teh scoring I'll find out.  Sometimes we get a certificate (if the member who arranges it all remembers to bring them!

Competitions are like raffles - if you don't enter you can;t win - I say let's give it a whirl.
I hope we can post entries as i can't get to London to bring mine.

Cheers Dave

Ron Davis02/10/2009 17:18:29
1606 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks Dave, I reckon competitions will be in order later, we are still finding our feet here. If they survive my quiz this month we will look at it after christmas. Help with scoring would be great, if you have anything on the computer perhaps you could PM them. I dont know if the PM system allows  attachments if not I will give you the club email address

Thanks again, always some one willing to help out on the forum

Ron
Mark Sutton02/10/2009 19:18:42
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi

Its been a while since last on, day job keeping me busy.
I wouldn`t mind entering, but it is a long way for me living the Highlands, not that i am being negative in anyway, i Love competitions
Ralph Harvey02/10/2009 23:30:47
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Well its exactly what i have been waiting for ! i will definatelly be entering,

There are a lot of great and experienced turners out there, but dont let that put you off there is often categories for novice and experienced turners? and as has been said you are all better than you think !

Good luck to all who enter

Ralph
Alan T.03/10/2009 09:32:38
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Ben,
                  Can I echo the queries by others about whether or not it will be possible to enter the competition without attending the exhibition. As a non driver that would be impossible for me.  Alan  T.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact