By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cabin Bed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daniel21/09/2009 16:22:18
20 forum posts
I'm going to build a cabin bed for one of my offspring..

For the bedsides, I would like to use birch ply, and will sand and finish it using varnish, i.e. keeping it as natural as possible. What timber would people suggest for the bed legs to compliment the ply?

Thanks

Daniel
Delete21/09/2009 17:46:25
575 forum posts
Daniel

The Ply when varnished will yellow up a little. A redwood possibly  would give a good contrast (Sapele or Mahogony if not too pricey)and add some richness to the project.

Roger
Andy Bell21/09/2009 20:48:10
156 forum posts
43 photos
Though I'd best point out to avoid confusion - Birch ply will be just a bit lighter in colour to "redwood" (pine),  I'm sure Rodger meant a red wood.
Have you considered using a dye on softwood legs to give a contrast.

I used birch ply for my spiral stair treads, the edges finish well, much better than standard ply.

Andy
Big Al22/09/2009 06:21:56
1596 forum posts
73 photos
Maple, sycamore or white ash would work well with the birch ply, with the maple being the closest match to the ply.

Al 
Daniel22/09/2009 13:53:05
20 forum posts
Thanks for the replies.. I've just come across this place in brighton, which offer reclaimed timber, so I'm going to take a look and see what I can find. - www.woodrecycling.org.uk 

Daniel
Delete25/09/2009 19:59:58
575 forum posts
I did mean A dark Redwood aas a contrast I have found trying to match things is often so hard. So celebrate the contrast and make it a feature.

Roger

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact