By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cedric's bandsaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Sparky20/09/2009 21:50:01
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Cedric

Is this one of those ''Move once and get a hernia'' models?

I bet this has seen some work in its life.

Marc
Cedric Wheeler20/09/2009 22:31:33
145 forum posts
25 photos
Hi Marc

You are nearly right except this was get my son to move it for me, the hernia will come later when I try and move it round my workshop!

My first job is to get some big strong wheels for it!

Cedric
Sparky21/09/2009 02:10:35
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Cedric
It may be better to make up a lockable wheeled frame for it.

Marc
Alan T.21/09/2009 08:08:29
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Cedric,
                   Marc already said it really. There are some some wheels with kick down locks available.  Cheers  Alan T.
Oddjob21/09/2009 09:36:06
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Marc

The new avatar has given you away!  I can see now that you are really Lord Lucan.

Richard
Delete21/09/2009 17:34:36
575 forum posts
Hi Cedric

All my machines are on wheeled based.  I make them from two sheets of 12 mm ply glued together . I buy from Axminster their large (100 mm ) locking castor wheels.  I always make the base large enough to give stability if the item is tall as well as heavey.
the 24 mm ply I end up with is strong enough to take even a large Minimax Band Saw.

regards

Roger
Cedric Wheeler21/09/2009 20:40:22
145 forum posts
25 photos
Thanks chaps for all your replies. I will be going to buy somw wheels this week and will get locking ones I think. I am still hoping that someone will have had or heard of this machine. It has a Hoover 1/2hp motor which I think is original so is likely to be a British made machine possibly around the 1950's?

Cedric
Graeme Pearson22/02/2014 11:51:57
1 forum posts

Cedric

I also have a Willow Bandsaw. Did you get a supplier for the rubber bands for 9 inch wheels?

Graeme

Cedric Wheeler23/02/2014 21:41:23
145 forum posts
25 photos

Hi Graeme

I made my own bands from 3mm thick rubber sheet that has a cotton core so that it doesn't stretch. I cut strips the right width and slightly longer than the circumference of the wheels and then glued them on with contact adhesive. Overlap the ends then cut through both layers with a sharp Stanley knife so that you get a perfect join. I then crowned the wheels by sticking 60grit paper on a small block of wood and while running the machine, sand the belts to get them slightly higher in the middle. It doesn't have to be very much but will then make it easier to get your blades to run true. You can do the driven wheel before putting on a blade but have to run with a blade on for the other two wheels, just keep your fingers out of the way of the blade!

My machine has been running successfully now for over three years and I use it regularly.

Cedric

SAFETY NOTICE: Woodworking is a potentially dangerous activity. Methods of work described or pictured by forum members should be judged by the individual woodworker for safety at all times. Please ensure you are familiar with your tools, research the relevant guidelines on safety and always make sure you are adequately protected when working with power tools and machinery.

Edited By Steven on 06/03/2014 11:36:15

Les Batten29/03/2019 17:18:34
1 forum posts

Hi Cedric, I know your post is a few years old but just found it whilst searching for stuff made by Willow Tools.

I was an apprentice at Willow Tools West Molesey Surrey from 1966 to 1971 and spent many hours building the bandsaws and various other small machines that Willow produced. They were also toolmakers and engineers to major companies like Vickers, Hawker Siddeley, amongst many others.

I don’t believe your bandsaw was originally made as it looks in the photo, the Hoover motor used to sit at the left hand corner and the drive belt ran horizontally. The frame was cast alloy, made by another local company and the cover was fibre glass, again made elsewhere. Usually the saw was bolted to a bench by the customers.

When I was 18 I was sent to Dublin for the RDS Spring Show where Willow had a stand displaying all their products Nice to see one of the saws still going, brings back good memories .

Hope this is of interest regards Les Batten

Cedric Wheeler10/04/2019 14:22:55
145 forum posts
25 photos

Hello Les

Thank you for your interesting post. I still have this machine & use it regularly.

I think that my machine predates your time there as it is all cast aluminium except for the saw table that is cast iron.

It also has a Burman modified motorcycle gearbox on it giving two speeds, one of which is slow enough that it can be used to cut aluminium or hard plastic.

The gearbox is grease filled not oil and I understand that this box was first made in 1936 & changed to oil filled in 1951 which more or less dates my machine. As you say this may be a modification ex factory.

Do you know when this saw was first made by Willow?

Regards

Cedric

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact