By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Phone Sales

Phone sales of The Woodworker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Jordan18/09/2009 20:30:15
166 forum posts
17 photos
On Thursday this week I took a phone call from a gentleman who told me he had my number from the subscription list of Good Woodworking, he then tried to sell me a subscription to The Woodworker for about 17 pounds.
I feel that most woodworkers tend to subscribe to one magazine only, since both titles are owned by the same group this dosn't look to me like the brightest plan!
However, if you are a subscriber to The Woodworker you now have a target price!!  
Mike
Ralph Harvey18/09/2009 20:35:01
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Mike

What worries me is why they feel the need to call to sell the subscription, i have my own pollicy

"if i want it i will look for it ! i never buy from anyone who tries to push something on me! "

Ralph
Sparky18/09/2009 21:42:10
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mike, thats almost half price!

I would advise to NEVER give out any details of your bank account to subscribe until you have ALL their details to hand AND, you can verify it by looking in the magazine production page (usually on the right hand side of a page, The Woodworker = usually on the contents page (5), Good Woodworking = usually on the Q&As (page 25 - 27'ish)...........ask them to call you back after a short period of time and while your disconnected use the 1471 and write that number down and check against those numbers in the magazines.

Also ask what else comes free..........no harm in asking is there

Marc

Mike Jordan18/09/2009 23:07:28
166 forum posts
17 photos
Ralph
I can agree completely with your policy, if they are harrassing you, its only fair to take the micky!

Marc 
Quite right! I wouldn't part with any info over the phone or internet, if the offer is genuine, I still can't see the sense in it. Winning a subscriber at half price when he or she was paying a full subscription isn't good business. I can only put this down to some over zealous salesman.
Has anybody else had the offer I wonder?
Mike
Sparky18/09/2009 23:13:04
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I know one thing Mike, they never phoned me up asking if they could half my subscription fees!!
Alan T.19/09/2009 09:40:49
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Marc,
                Are you fancying the role of caped crusader now. Big improvement on the paper bag.   Cheers   Alan T.
Sparky19/09/2009 10:28:59
7631 forum posts
22 photos
He he, The caped crusader or Captain chaos!!

Thanks Alan

Edited By sparky on 19/09/2009 18:17:29

Alan Lappin21/09/2009 15:34:19
13 forum posts
Hi Mike

I had the phone call early last week, the offer was a years subscription for a £1.00 per copy.

I told him to put it in writing and send it to me, nothing yet

Alan
Ron Davis21/09/2009 18:56:15
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Sounds dodgy to me, the fact that two of us have had the call and have been quoted different prices is suspicious in itself.

The question to put to Ben is, how did they get the numbers, and what can he do about it?

I hope they are not selling them on, I think that is against the data protection act, and even more worrying, have they hacked into the computers

I think we should be told

Ron
Mike Jordan21/09/2009 22:39:13
166 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Alan
I seem to recall that a pound a copy was mentioned in the call I had, I'll admit I didn't listen that carefully since I am allergic to idiots who ring trying to sell anything by phone!
If it isnt some sort of scam attempt, it must rate as the worst thought out sales move ever, trying to nick subscribers from a magazine in the same group.
How many others have been contacted I wonder!
Mike
Woodworker22/09/2009 11:41:50
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi all, I've been told that this is a genuine offer. I've asked that someone from the subscription department post on this thread so you can resolve your questions. In the mean time please email Heather Morrison with any queries:

Her email address is: heather.morrison@myhobbystore.com
Clare Hiscock22/09/2009 11:47:10
69 forum posts
10 photos
I can confirm that this is a genuine offer. The way it works is if you are a subscriber to one of these 2 magazines you will be offered the opportunity to subscribe to the one you are not subscribed to for £1 per issue which is £13 for a year.

Please do contact Heather with any queries heather.morrison@myhobbystore.com

Kind Regards

Clare

Event Sales
Sparky22/09/2009 12:20:39
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I wonder if this works for Practical Woodworking too ?

Marc
Clare Hiscock22/09/2009 12:38:12
69 forum posts
10 photos
I'm afraid it doesn't apply to Practical Woodworking.

Thanks

Clare
Sparky22/09/2009 12:40:30
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Crikey Clare your quick!!

You spying again

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact