By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

ships wheel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
robert dignam18/09/2009 08:39:09
194 forum posts
134 photos
hi does any one have or know where i could get some plans for a ships wheel thanks in advance        robert
Dave Atkinson18/09/2009 08:59:04
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Robert

Have a look at this:

also if you Google Ships wheel plans there seem to be lots of useful links

cheers Dave

Edited By sparky on 18/09/2009 18:50:22

Mike Jordan18/09/2009 09:39:23
166 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Robert
Ive only ever made one of these, It's made of iroko and fitted to my narrowboat as a secondary steering position.

I used a similar method to the one Dave has given you. The differences being that I tenoned the spokes into the centre hub, dispenced with the dowels between the circular sements and spokes,  after the spokes,hub,and segments had been glued together, I let in a circular piece of ply to either side of the wheel and then covered this with the circular outer trim. The ply and outer trim were glued and screwed in place to make a solid job.  A circle of brass would have looked better but at a cost!. Regretably you can see wheels made in quality hardwood selling in the chandlers at low prices,taiwan triumphs again. They are an interesting thing to make providing you don't need to turn a profit. Best of luck with the project, if any of the about is as clear as mud please let me know.
Mike 
robert dignam19/09/2009 11:02:40
194 forum posts
134 photos
firstly thanks dave for the link and mike nice looking wheel ,im looking to make a wheel as a ornament  i was in my mothers house the other day and there was a ships wheel on the wall that used to belong to my late father who had boats most of his life this was taken off the last boat he owned when i saw it  i thought i would like to have a go at making one myself thank you both for your help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact