35 photos
Ben Plewes wrote
You've hit the nail on the head Marc.

No pun intended??????? LOL
Woodworker18/06/2008 22:12:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Cheers guys. Baz, I couldn't resist that one!
Sparky18/06/2008 22:50:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I always thought you did it the other way

No wonder there are bigger holes left after I've got the nail in and it takes flippin ages to do it!

Olly Parry-Jones21/06/2008 11:46:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Going back to the magazine then... One critisism I've seen elsewhere is of the amount of woodturning featured, particulalrly in this current issue. Clearly, some people don't notice the "& Woodturner" sub-title on the front cover!

I thought Alan Holtham's article was benefitial to all kinds of woodworkers, not only the 'turner. As for Ian Wilkie's light pulls, okay, so the more experienced wood turner would perhaps like to see something more challenging but it's a good way to use up offcuts and, from the beginner's perspective, they're fairly easy to turn and they'll give someone that all-important confidence and familiarity at the lathe to tackle something larger.

All magazines seem to get stick for featuring "simple" projects like this but I feel they are very important to getting people in to woodworking and helping them to progress. Even F&C is having to "dumb things down" a little under their new editor, so it seems.

Is Andy Standing registered on the forums or is he available to e-mail? I was interested to read his thought on the Charnwood planer-thicknesser as I have the identical machine from Axminster. I have found one major fault with the design of this machine but I'm not clear on what he meant by "the occasional wobbly knob"? I'd be interested to hear more from him.

I like the fact that you keep your reviews brief as I'm sure there are plenty of readers who are only looking for a score out of five and the pro's and con's at the end. On the other hand, I really like Andy King's reviews in Good Wood and the extent and depth to which he explores and tests many machines and tools...  

All magazines have one problem though and it's something that can't be helped - you only get a couple of hours to 'play' with new products and so aren't going to be aware any long-term problems, especially with cheaper machines (belts slipping, chains wearing, adjustments moving, etc.) That's where I find the internet, and forums like this, invaluable so you can get a second opinion from someone who's been using a certain piece of kit for a substantial amount of time.

I haven't read through the Bosch and Festool articles yet but I like the look of the magazine overall. I used to avoid after Magicalia bought both mags. as I didn't think you'd be able to keep it so different to reading Good Wood - but you do a very good job and I'm happy subscribing to both publications. 

Ben, and anyone else reading this, I hope you find some of it useful.

Denis Solomon25/06/2008 23:03:00
11 forum posts

I was disappointed by your opening aricles in the Hand vs. Machine series in the July 2008 Woodworker. The first article, as was to be expected, contained material on mortise and tenon joint cutting that exists in many magazine articles and woodworking manuals.  Fair enough.  But I thought the second would be a compendium of techniques for cutting mortise and tenon joints with different machines, most or all of which the average woodworker would possess -  bandsaw, table saw (with or without jigs), router and router table, mortiser attachment on planer or radial arm saw, etc., etc. - information that rarely if ever appears in a single article.  Instead I found a description of the Trend mortise and tenon jig.  Any reader who doesn't have this jig will be none the wiser for this article, and anybody who has one presumably already knows how to use it.  The article was not about cutting joints by machine - it was about cutting joints on A machine.

Denis Solomon

Monticelli d'Ongina

Italy

warren gruhl26/06/2008 03:02:00
536 forum posts
59 photos
http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/7848/TS3660_2_Final.jpg

this is the ridig table saw comes with 1and 1/2 motor 30" rip and mirco fence the fence is very good on this saw you can give it a little push and it will slide right a crossthe table

Denis Solomon27/06/2008 08:27:00
11 forum posts
I'm new to the forum, but I don't understand what Warren's post has to do with mine.
Mike Garnham27/06/2008 08:31:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Denis,

I think Warren has posted in the wrong place.

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact