By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

July Edition of "The Woodworker"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodworker16/06/2008 23:41:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Sparky, I'll look through the archive and get back to you on that one. Is it bench top table saws you're after in particular? Any specific models? Ralph, Mike; I'm excited about the new role, it's a move I felt I needed to make. I'll still have lots of involvement on WW and the ironic thing is that more of it will be visible i.e. on the printed page. It's great from a personal perspective because I'll be spending more time in the workshop, writing features and getting out & about with camera in hand. Ralph Laughton will be taking on the role of editor which I'm thrilled about. Ralph and I share the same enthusiasm for woodwork and I think he'll do a great job. I've certainly enjoyed working with him since getting him back on board for the Joining without Joints series. I'll announce the change in a more official capacity a bit later in the week. Just running a bit short on time at the mo ~ nothing new there then Cheers all, Ben
Sparky17/06/2008 02:41:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Ben

Yes, bench top/stand.

I was looking at;

RYOBI ETS-1526 240V TABLE SAW 10IN + (SC, SL & AL - Not sure what the difference is between them)

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/images/tb/35114_thumb.jpg

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/images/tb/35113_thumb.jpg

SEALEY TABLE SAW 10

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/images/sealey/TS10SEW_thumb.jpg

Woodstar ST10L Table Saw 10 INCH

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/images/upload/st10l_thumb.jpg

DRAPER 254mm 230V TABLE SAW

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/images/draper/72713_BTS252on_stand_thumb.jpg

These were just a few I've looked at but I know there is many more...........but its this type I will be after.

Thanks Ben.

Marc 

Mike Garnham17/06/2008 07:39:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
......then congratulations Ben........and hope it works out really well for you. Presumably you are retaining your role here on GW?
Sparky17/06/2008 07:46:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I think this is his baby Mike and doubt he would turn over the controls to anyone!
Olly Parry-Jones17/06/2008 10:05:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Sparky, I don't think I've read any comments from someone who's been happy with a £200 table saw purchase. I used to own one myself (Fox, identical to Axminster and one of the Ryobi's) and it was noisy, inaccurate, the riving knife (splitter, actually) moves from side to side and gets in the way of the timber... I was glad to sell it for £70 nearly two-years later!

At the very least, I think you should be looking to spend a bit more on a modern clone of the Kity 419, which is a very popular model. Axminster do one, as do Rutlands and also Charnwood. They'll only cut 2" deep but feature a quiet induction motor, sliding table/carriage and offer a good width of ripping capacity you won't get with a cheaper saw.

Axminster offer the best price (£280) but you'll get a longer warranty with either of the other two. My opinions here are based on the comments I've read in Good Woodworking in the past and also from people who've purchased these machines on UKW.

Hope this helps.

Ben, congratulations on the new job/role. Looking forward to hearing more about it. 

Ralph Harvey17/06/2008 16:39:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Marc

The trouble with those saws is they are on the whole made from the same basic frame ?

They all have the same faults and to a certain degree the same good points, in most cases they are imported and the standard is set by the company importing who will decide how good a finish they have.

I have had a cheap one my brother gave me and it has the same faults Olly remarks on, only difference was that because of the cheap plastic blade guard, (the yellow bit in the  second picture down) when a piece of timber snatched out of my hands it went streight through the guard and snapped a casting, the saw is now a pile of scrap,

I realize this is an exceptional circumstance but the underlying faults are still there, i can not speak for all saws but look at how simmilar some of the cheaper ones are. !

Sparky17/06/2008 19:13:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Olly & Ralph

Thankyou both, really appreciate your comments there, a great help.

My main problem would be space and this was why I bought the Wolf Master cut,

http://www.wolfcraft.de/workarea/supplier/sWolfcraft/documents/200/6165000.jpg

But, the fence is crap so I use a length of wood clamped between the vice and fence to get a 'straight' cut and the mitre is really loose between the channel (I most probably got the Friday 4pm version!). This is OK until I need to cut larger materials which I will be needing for a couple of projects at a later date. The good thing about this is it folds up really well.

I do like the Axminsters TS-200 as it looks a good solid machine even Fox 200mm at Rutlands looks great but at £400 is way to high for my budget. Again with Charnwoods.

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/products/600822_xl.jpg

Thanks very much for the links and it gives me more of an insight to other models.As the saying goes, "want to produce quality goods buy quality goods"Marc
Doug17/06/2008 19:58:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Marc what size timber/ sheets are you wanting to cut?

Most of the saws mentioned are fairy limited in cutting capacities.

Doug17/06/2008 20:12:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Marc

If its depth of cut you want there`s a bandsaw at £45 in the classifieds.

Or if it`s trees you want to put through it i`ve still got that huge wadkin bandsaw, you`d just have to empty your shed first.

Baz

Sparky17/06/2008 20:22:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Baz

Many thanks for that mate. Looks like something I need but, he's not taking messages (why do they do that!). I've left post and now awaiting.......

Thanks again.

Marc

Doug17/06/2008 20:31:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

What size of material are you looking to cut.

Baz

Ralph Harvey17/06/2008 20:48:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Baz

You seem to know about machines, what in your oppinion is the best "cheaper" Bandsaw, that will cut 150mm in height, or do i need to pay more,

Don't realy have a budget but need to work out what i will need.

Ralph

Sparky17/06/2008 20:59:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Baz

Table saw wise would be around 3-5" and bandsaw wise would be around 6-10" (ideal for logs).

Have you one ready for me to collect ?

Doug17/06/2008 21:34:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Ralph.

I`ve just bought the Record BS300X www.recordpower.co.uk  The X has the treadle leg stand great if you need to move it around, also 3 extra blades & is suposed to take a 3/4 blade, though i`ve not tried that yet.

Got mine from www.dm-tools.co.uk  Record seemed to give the most for the money.

Sparky.

I was offered a flip type chop/table saw a while a go, Elu/dewalt type you might have to stretch your budget a little, not much, i can enquire if you want.

Baz

Mike Garnham17/06/2008 22:01:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Ralph,

I got a really decent machine on eBay for £150........and there were lots to choose from. To cut 6 inches you really need to be considering a machine with wheels of at least 14" diameter, and they are fairly pricey new. Do a bit of research, but you should be able to find something that is surprisingly good for surprisingly little money if you buy second hand.

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact