By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

July Edition of "The Woodworker"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek willis18/06/2008 09:02:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I have an Electra Beckam 150 that I have had for about ten years, (it has now been upgraded to the 155) and I can say it will cut perfectly everytime logs up to 150mm,  veneers of down to 1mm and anything else in between, this machine is the same as the Record and many other makes, as they are all based on the same orignal parts, and is a well tried and trusted design, having been around for a long time.

Derek. 

Olly Parry-Jones18/06/2008 10:57:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Ralph, how often do you think you'll be looking to cut do a depth of 150mm? Depending on where you look, a 14" bandsaw can have a maximum cutting height of anything from 180mm to around 220mm. If you're looking to cut 6" deep on a regular basis, therefore working the saw close to its maximum capacities, then you'd probably be better off going for something bigger again, like a 16"-er!

If it's only for the occasional bit of veneer of bowl blank then you'll probably be fine with a 14" machine.

sparky wrote (see)
I do like the Axminsters TS-200 as it looks a good solid machine even Fox 200mm at Rutlands looks great but at £400 is way to high for my budget. Again with Charnwoods.

Sparky, don't get me wrong; the Kity original is priced at £400+ but all the others are no more than £300. Unless you're planning on buying a load of extras, of course...

In the January issue of Woodworker however, Gordon Warr gave the Woodstar ST10 table saw 4 out of 5 for both value and performance. It looks like a powerful saw for its size with a 2,000w motor (!!!). To quote Gordon:

"The ST10 handles ripping and bevel cutting with ease, although the 24-tooth blade doesn't give optimum results when cutting and the motor is a bit noisy. This is a compacy portable saw with commendable capacity - ideal for the hobbyist woodworker with restricted workshop space - and is very good value for money."

He also mentions that the rip fence "cam-locks firmly onto a tough front rail.

Andy King18/06/2008 11:30:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Ralph,

Wheel size is also a factor on the throat capacity.

Allowing for the fact the blade is travelling inside the throat on the upstroke, the bandwheel diameter will affect the overall distance you can push between it and the downstroke side of the blade, so wider wheels give wider throat capacity.

cheers,

Andy

Sparky18/06/2008 13:51:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Olly

Cheers for that.

I was going by the price shown on the links you supplied.........

I'll be searching the net to see whats around with the prices and that give me some time to save..........

if, however, I see one with fluffy dice hanging from the mitre then I'll pay whatever they ask!

Thanks again

Marc

Ralph Harvey18/06/2008 14:46:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Thanks all, I will on the whole be cutting nothing bigger than 100mm but on the odd occasion i will need it to cut branches and burrs which could be bigger,

It apears from your comments that i need to look for something like the Electra Beckam that Derek has,

Based on the prices i have seen, it will need to be second hand so just need to find one cheap enough first

Ralph

Olly Parry-Jones18/06/2008 18:30:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Yep, it often pays, particularly with bandsaws, to buy something slightly bigger than the size you think you need. That way, you won't be kicking yourself six-months down the line.
Mike Garnham18/06/2008 19:12:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Ralph,

mine is an Axminster 350.......not sold any more, but they still have all the parts etc.....look out for one of those on eBay or elsewhere.

Mike 

Ralph Harvey18/06/2008 19:45:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Mike, Olly

Thanks i will keep an eye out.

Bought one of them cheap and nasty ones from Aldi, big mistake but couldn't afford anything else at the time !

Still cuts ok.... well as long as you only cut timber up to 20 - 35mm or thick veneer !!!  won't make that mistake again.

Ralph

Woodworker18/06/2008 21:15:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Mike Garnham wrote (see)
......then congratulations Ben........and hope it works out really well for you. Presumably you are retaining your role here on GW?
Absolutely Mike, no changes planned here!

sparky wrote (see)
I think this is his baby Mike and doubt he would turn over the controls to anyone!
You've hit the nail on the head Marc.
Ralph Harvey18/06/2008 21:20:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Ben

Glad to hear it, I haven't been here long but long enough to realize how important your role is and how serious you take it.

Ralph

Mike Garnham18/06/2008 21:22:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Good news.......!
Doug18/06/2008 21:23:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Ben Plewes wrote
You've hit the nail on the head Marc.

No pun intended??????? LOL
Woodworker18/06/2008 22:12:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Cheers guys. Baz, I couldn't resist that one!
Sparky18/06/2008 22:50:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I always thought you did it the other way

No wonder there are bigger holes left after I've got the nail in and it takes flippin ages to do it!

Olly Parry-Jones21/06/2008 11:46:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Going back to the magazine then... One critisism I've seen elsewhere is of the amount of woodturning featured, particulalrly in this current issue. Clearly, some people don't notice the "& Woodturner" sub-title on the front cover!

I thought Alan Holtham's article was benefitial to all kinds of woodworkers, not only the 'turner. As for Ian Wilkie's light pulls, okay, so the more experienced wood turner would perhaps like to see something more challenging but it's a good way to use up offcuts and, from the beginner's perspective, they're fairly easy to turn and they'll give someone that all-important confidence and familiarity at the lathe to tackle something larger.

All magazines seem to get stick for featuring "simple" projects like this but I feel they are very important to getting people in to woodworking and helping them to progress. Even F&C is having to "dumb things down" a little under their new editor, so it seems.

Is Andy Standing registered on the forums or is he available to e-mail? I was interested to read his thought on the Charnwood planer-thicknesser as I have the identical machine from Axminster. I have found one major fault with the design of this machine but I'm not clear on what he meant by "the occasional wobbly knob"? I'd be interested to hear more from him.

I like the fact that you keep your reviews brief as I'm sure there are plenty of readers who are only looking for a score out of five and the pro's and con's at the end. On the other hand, I really like Andy King's reviews in Good Wood and the extent and depth to which he explores and tests many machines and tools...  

All magazines have one problem though and it's something that can't be helped - you only get a couple of hours to 'play' with new products and so aren't going to be aware any long-term problems, especially with cheaper machines (belts slipping, chains wearing, adjustments moving, etc.) That's where I find the internet, and forums like this, invaluable so you can get a second opinion from someone who's been using a certain piece of kit for a substantial amount of time.

I haven't read through the Bosch and Festool articles yet but I like the look of the magazine overall. I used to avoid after Magicalia bought both mags. as I didn't think you'd be able to keep it so different to reading Good Wood - but you do a very good job and I'm happy subscribing to both publications. 

Ben, and anyone else reading this, I hope you find some of it useful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact