By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

CheapRandom orbital sanders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tony bevis09/09/2009 20:30:38
83 forum posts
32 photos
Im looking to buy a (cheap), should'nt say that ,Non expensive random orbital sander as all my sanding for years for my pyrography has been by hand.I love hand sanding but it dosent love me any more.
Ive spent to much on tools lately,bandsaw come to mind so im thinking of a Draper expert, has anyone come across one,it came out quite well  for the money in a magazine test i read resently..............Tony
Ron Davis10/09/2009 18:12:14
1611 forum posts
201 photos
Mine a  Bosch, great tool if a bit heavy.
I do envy pyrographers, I have the tool but it is rarely used

Ron
tony bevis10/09/2009 20:34:11
83 forum posts
32 photos
Hi  Ron   Had  a look at the Bosch this afternoon it is a bit heavy ,going to Yandles show on saturday so will have a look there.  Im lucky my other half is a full time crafter so is happy to spend a few hours there and in the craft shop.
Ok about the pyro tool ,I know the feeling I have wood working tools I would love to use more  but the pyro keeps me busy and I love it...........tony
Olly Parry-Jones10/09/2009 22:40:31
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Are you looking for a machine with a 5" or 6" diameter base?

The smaller, 5" sanders are surprisingly versatile and I personally find the 6" sanders are little more 'wild' and difficult to control, particularly on narrow stuff. I have a 5" Bosch ROS (around £75) and rate it very highly. Whatever you go for, the finish should be excellent.
Big Al11/09/2009 07:40:09
1593 forum posts
73 photos
I own a dewalt 5" ROS, lovely machine. What you have to bear in mind is the sanding disc's. I recently bought some cheap sanding disc's from an ebay seller, they seemed very cheap and I now know why, they are rubbish, and I wont be buying them again. They are made by a company called silverline.

Al 
Ron Davis11/09/2009 18:41:13
1611 forum posts
201 photos
I got mine from Screwfix, no problems there

Ron
tony bevis11/09/2009 20:20:28
83 forum posts
32 photos
I think a 5'' one will be quite ok for my use a the moment and ok about the discs AL I will keep away from them .Ok about srewfix Ron if i cant find what im looking for at
Yandles show tomorow  i think thats where ill end up. I hope they have some sycamore left its not good to go on the last day...........tony
Ron Davis12/09/2009 18:09:20
1611 forum posts
201 photos
I will look it up for you probably tommorrow,they are in abrasiv
Ron

Olly Parry-Jones12/09/2009 20:19:05
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Yeah, I've also made the mistake of buying cheap abrasives before and it really isn't worth trying to save a few pennies like that! At the moment, I prefer to use the perforated Hermes discs from Axminster. I think they are a little dearer than the standard red or yellow (aluminium oxide) discs but they seem to last longer before they become clogged. Abranet is supposed to be 'the dog's wotsits' but the initial investment is rather expensive. Whatever you go for, using good dust extraction (vacuum) will also help to prolong the life of any discs.
tony bevis15/09/2009 20:29:03
83 forum posts
32 photos
Hi guys I bought the Draper expert as money money was tight and it works well so im pleased with it.I was short on timber so had to buy a  a few sycamore boardes as well so stocked up now.............Tony

Edited By tony bevis on 15/09/2009 20:44:25

stacy johnna28/11/2019 12:07:31
2 forum posts

As I would like to think you should attempt Bosch 120-V 6-Inch ROS65VC-6 Sander. Highlights two residue assortment frameworks including a microfilter dust canister with the incorporated paper channel and screw-off top and a vacuum hose association with wind stream control giving clients a wreck free place of work.

The Bosch ROS65VC 6 Sander gives flexibility to quick stock expulsion and additionally a smooth, well-mixed completion. The instrument's indispensable cushion hosing stopping mechanism was intended to diminish whirl marks. I would exceptionally suggest purchasing this! in the wake of perusing this review on Random Orbital Sanders utilized this to speed up the process and it ended up incredible!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact