By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

planer jig 2.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug15/06/2008 14:49:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Excellent work Marc.

Have you given it a test run yet, Olly will be worrying about the blade guard!!!

Good to see on this one you can control the shavings, though a little sorry to see you haven`t managed to incorporate the Alpen box in the re-modeling

Well done my friend

Cheers Baz.

Sparky15/06/2008 15:21:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Baz

Thanks mate.

I've given it a go with this table I'm making for my daughter..........runs a lot smoother and flatter than the other one.........mind you, it was a Black & Decker!

I am also sorry to tell you that I ran out of the Alpen cardboard due to templates (there great for that you know!

I also have stuck on that tape you gave me and I doubt very much if I'll need any wax now!

Thanks again.

Marc

Ivor the engine15/06/2008 15:35:00
270 forum posts
46 photos

Hi! Marc,

A good bit of work there inventivness that's what i like to see i bet you enjoyed making that,

By the way are you left or right handed only from what i make out from your pic you work from left to right and thinking about it planers come the same hand i think so if you are left handed it might make a difference had not thought about it before as i am right handed,

Hope it works ok,

Ivor.

Sparky15/06/2008 15:42:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Ivor

Thanks mate.

I did mate, I just converted the other one I had to fit the Bosch.........just a new top.

I'm ambidextrous but mainly right. I run the wood left to right on this jig. Didn't even think of doing it the other way!

Works great thanks.

Marc

derek willis15/06/2008 16:27:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sparky,

I see you've mentioned tape, is it that slip tape, Becausd i got a roll ears ago and didn't thinnk a lot of it, still have most.

Derek. 

Olly Parry-Jones15/06/2008 16:47:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

On my Axminster planer thicknesser you can actually position the fence on either side of the machine, so it's suitable for lefties as well as the rest of us "normal" folk.

Looking forward to seeing how your table turns out Sparky, but with an 85mm width of cut you'll either be using up a lot of scrap pieces or it's gonna be a very small piece of furniture!

derek willis15/06/2008 17:00:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I made a similar one a few years back, also a thicknesser to take a portable plane, (a Bosch as well), the idea was not original but from Good Woodworking as was the thicknesser, both performed very well if you only wanted little pieces.

Derek. 

Olly Parry-Jones15/06/2008 17:10:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Derek, you've just reached 1,000 posts - congratulations!

...Go on, give us a smile! You must be happy?!?

derek willis15/06/2008 17:21:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles
WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug15/06/2008 17:32:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Sparky.

You do realise with the addition of that tape you will now be able to fry your eggs & bacon on it  LOL.

You`ll be worn out before that planer is  well made.

Cheers Baz.

Sparky15/06/2008 18:11:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Derek

Yes mate, I think that's what its called. Baz sent me some and I've used it on my shooting board (where the plane lays in its side), under the fences for my router station and I find it works very well.

Olly

I just stand on the other side and it works for lefties like that!

Regarding the scrap, I have a very large bin bag tucked up underneath to catch it all

Baz

I managed to tie a bungee strap to the wood so it returns for another pass over the planer again! ......

Thanks again guys

Marc

Mike Garnham15/06/2008 23:37:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Marc,

Damned good idea, and a jump on from your mock-up. Is your planer stuck in this contraption permanently, or can you get it out reasonably quicly if you need to?

Mike

Sparky16/06/2008 03:08:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Mike

Thanks mate

The planer can come out by lifting the table top off.

Just this minute finished a pencil case. Had the plan for ages but managed to get it done as well as the film. 6 can fit inside when shut.

Right, off to read some more............crikey, look at the time!...........so much of my father's day whiskey!!

Cheers

Marc

Mike Garnham16/06/2008 07:31:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Sparky,

thats a big pencil case..........who are the other 5 in there with you?

Pencil case big enough for you to lie in...........active in the middle of the night........

-

-

Where's the garlic? Sparky's turned in Dracula!!!! 

Sparky16/06/2008 12:31:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Now that is weird. I didn't write that!  

Someone has added that section to the post! 

I haven't even seen a pencil case!! 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact