By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hello everyone, I'm Lindsay!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
lindsay harrison08/09/2009 22:05:50
11 forum posts
Hi all, I'm Lindsay. I'm totally new to woodwork but have just been bitten by the bug after finishing a house for my chickens. I enjoyed doing it so much that I'm desparate to do more. Unfortunately my enthusiasm is not matched by my skill! I'm really interested in making things like rabbit hutches, garden benches, house signs, kennels etc. I'd really like to do some training but my local colleges only seem to offer 2 year carpentry courses. I'm sure you used to be able to get short courses for home DIY to learn about basic tools and things. Does anyone know of any local (herts) or residential training courses that cover the sort of skills I need? Can anyone offer me any other advice for getting started with woodwork? Many thanks!
Ralph Harvey08/09/2009 23:47:26
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Hi Lindsay and welcome to the site.

First things first, where abouts are you, i am sure there might be something in your area so if you fill in your profile  someone might be able to help

Ralph
lindsay harrison09/09/2009 01:27:50
11 forum posts
Thanks Ralph! I live on the herts/beds border near the M1. Lindsay.
Doug09/09/2009 07:04:11
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Lindsay & welcome to the forum.

A good place to look for short courses is the back pages of the woodworking magazines.

Best of luck.

Baz
Woodie09/09/2009 09:29:36
103 forum posts
12 photos
Lindsay
Welcome.  If you are willing to travel then there is a very good instructor in Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire that I have been to.  He no longer advertises in GW but I have his details should you want them.  It would appear that I am not too far from you, about 5 miles north of Luton.
Let me know
John
lindsay harrison09/09/2009 13:23:31
11 forum posts
Hi Baz! Looking in woodworking magazines sounds like a great idea. None in my local shop, just went to look, so I'll order one online. Can you suggest a specific one?

Hi John, yes You're not far away at all! I would consider travelling, especially to Herefordshire/shropshire as I love it and have a cottage I can stay in in Knighton. Ross might be a bit far from Knighton, I can't remember. I'll look it up.

Thanks all!
Alan T.09/09/2009 14:25:20
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Lindsay,
                       Welcome to the site and may your participation in woodworking be long and fruitful.    Cheers   Alan  T.
Sparky09/09/2009 15:25:27
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Lindsay and welcome to this site's forum.

If ever you need inspiration, look through the albums on here and your be drooling.........not all are hard to do or build but, if you see something from a member, just ask for a bit of help, were all very friendly here.

If you fill in your profile with a bit about your experiences, the members can get an idea of what you can do and please post your projects in your library.

Marc

Edited By sparky on 09/09/2009 18:22:28

Derek Lane09/09/2009 18:11:51
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Lindsey
  Welcome to the site. If you have no joy with courses then there is always the local Library and of course the help from members on here
Ron Davis09/09/2009 19:42:17
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Lindsay
 welcome to the forum

You could try looking for a local woodworking club. try Google

Ron
lindsay harrison09/09/2009 20:53:51
11 forum posts
Local woodworking club, didn't know there were such things! What a good idea, I'm on it!
lindsay harrison09/09/2009 20:59:47
11 forum posts
No joy on Google . Anyone know if west herts/beds borders has a woodworking club? Thanks!
Woodie10/09/2009 08:22:29
103 forum posts
12 photos
Lindsay

I know that Bedford Saw, Bedford, run a Saturday morning woodturning club, but this is probably not what you want.  You must be encouraged by the amount of interest that you have generated amongst us woodies, hope you find something.
John
Dave Atkinson10/09/2009 15:05:48
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Lindsay - welcome.

As well as magazines there are loads of good introductory books that might help.  There is  Collins complete woodworkers manual (£21 on amazon) and collins woodworking for beginners (from 3.70 on amazon)

You would find any of the woodworking mags useful - Good Woodworkiong, The Woodworker and the one from the competition (Woodworking plans and projects but I didnlt meantion it on here!

Then you can always ask us lot as well
Cheers Dave 
lindsay harrison11/09/2009 21:36:12
11 forum posts
Thank you John and Dave. This really is a lovely friendly forum. I have bought a copy of the collins book for beginners from ebay for £3, bargain! It has really good reviews. Can't wait to get it!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact