By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oil & Toil

Colouring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Face02/09/2009 21:43:20
8 forum posts
Guys
I'm sure someone is going to be able to help me with this and apologies if it's a bit of a thick question.
Almost all of my projects are in oak or ash. My problem is the finish!
I use Danish oil normally but this seems to darken the wood which is the last thing I want, can any of you give me some advice on the best way of finishing the timber to get a smooth to the touch finish that has little or no effect on the natural colour of the timber itself - I've scrapped more that one peice of work simply because the finish wasn't what I had anticipated (not nice on the pocket with the price of oak and ash being what it is).
I've tried a 50/50 oil and white spirit mix but the results were disappointing to say the least.
Am I missing something obvious here.

Paul 
Face02/09/2009 21:45:09
8 forum posts
Sorry I think I've posted this in the wrong section but can't work out how to move it.

Paul
Doug02/09/2009 21:56:45
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Paul.

Though i`m yet to give it a go, i`ve heard very good reports of acrylic lacquer, they don`t give the yellowing associated with Danish oil.

Baz
dennis wake02/09/2009 23:29:22
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Paul
    have you tryed a libarel coating of sand sealer and then buff of with a bees wax to finish. the other one i have tryed on other wood is a plastic coat  finish by rustins, this all depends on the size of the itom as the larger it is the harder the coating is to do to a good finish.
 good luck with which ever you do deside on dooing and dont forget to post the outcome in the album.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 02/09/2009 23:36:56

Olly Parry-Jones03/09/2009 19:07:41
2776 forum posts
636 photos
If you'd prefer to stick with an oil finish though, Osmo do a range of 'PolyX' hardwax oils. They do darken the timber; just, not quite as much as Danish Oil seems to. Rutlands are one of the online stockists I know of. Otherwise, you might be able to find a local stockist via. Osmo's site.
Ron Davis03/09/2009 19:20:53
1618 forum posts
201 photos
You could read Ben's article in the Woodworker, which i recieved today

Ron
Face03/09/2009 20:27:55
8 forum posts

Thanks guys
Think I'll probably try the sanding sealer and the laquer on a couple of scraps and see what the result is like. I've used the laquer before, only thing was the number of coats got up to about 5 before I got a fairly decent finsh and sheen - maybe a combination of the two might help with the sealer stopping the timber soaking up too much.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact