By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Finish for a small beech jewelery box

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Blondy_UK02/09/2009 14:16:29
39 forum posts
10 photos
hi can any one suggest a nice finish for a small jewelery box made from beech, it is first thing that i have completed using any wood other than MDF or chipboard since leaving school 25 years ago. At school i think we used shellac on some small pine table but upon leaving school i went into vehicle repairs and welding so not really had to use wood finishes. Paul
Cedric Wheeler02/09/2009 15:32:21
148 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Paul
I don't think that you can beat a good wax finish as this will enhance the grain and bring out the natural beauty of the wood. However if you want a very durable finish a melamine lacquer would give that.  You will find a good range of finishes available from from Axminster.

Cedric 
Woodworker02/09/2009 16:12:43
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Paul,

I would agree with Cedric. A coat of shellac sanding sealer followed by a bit of elbow grease with some beeswax polish will give you a lovely finish.
Derek Lane02/09/2009 17:00:18
3206 forum posts
990 photos
I'm in the process of completing a jewelry box and have use cellulose sander sealer and bees wax finish is good
Woodworker02/09/2009 17:06:13
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Good point Derek. There's no particular need to use shellac sanding sealer – cellulose, spirit or acrylic sanding sealer will all do a good job.
Sparky02/09/2009 19:19:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Paul
I would love to see the box in the 'before' and 'after' stage.
Nothing better than to see more albums being uploaded

Marc
Ron Davis02/09/2009 20:02:43
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Paul, I agree wit all the above, if you go the sealer and wax method then Bri Wax, Bison Chstnut or several ather brands of paste wax is ok. When I apply the wak, I use cheap kitchen scourers tp apply as this denibs the sealer as you apply it. Many people use 0000 wire wool, but be careful with oak as it will stain

Ron
Blondy_UK02/09/2009 23:13:57
39 forum posts
10 photos
Thanks for the replies, i will look further into the use of sanding sealer and wax, before posting the question on here i had thought of using Rustins danish oil but then i dont really know anything about wood finishes. I still have some Colouron neutral coloured wax left over from a small unit that i made from beech covered chipboard some years back, as for pictures Marc, i'm not really confident with the idea of posting photo's of my first attempt of woodworking on here. Saying that, if the wife doesn't laugh at it when i give it to her then i may think again. I will take some pics anyway. thanks again.

Paul
dennis wake02/09/2009 23:53:02
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi all
  Marc i think you could be on to something ther with the befor and after idea.  we all take photos of our products so y dont we start taking photos from befor we do our finishes. this may give a good indication of what the difrent finishes look like on difrent woods.we are all wanting to try difrent finishes but donot want to spoil the hard work we put in to them.we may be able to add the befor and after to a seporat album so every one can see the efect on difrent woods and then we may experiment for the better.

sorry Paul not ignoring u i have tryed sand sealer and then patenerd it with beeswax as the rest have toled you it dose look good .hope every thing finishes the way you want it to. her indoors likes it then you have hit on the right finish any way.
dennis 

Edited By dennis wake on 02/09/2009 23:57:41

Olly Parry-Jones03/09/2009 19:10:10
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I can highly recommend Chestnut's Wood Wax 22, which is available from Axminster and a few other sources. One application is all it takes and the finish really speaks for itself. I find it's ideal for smaller items like boxes.
Blondy_UK14/09/2009 08:08:42
39 forum posts
10 photos
I have been looking in the normal diy stores but cant seem to find any sanding sealer, i have seen it at online stores but does anyone know where it can be purchased instore?
thanks Paul.
Alan T.14/09/2009 10:18:58
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Blondy,
                          Try Homebase.     Alan  T.
Derek Lane14/09/2009 11:13:39
3206 forum posts
990 photos

Alan

I'll go with that too

Paul

Try some of your local timber merchants
Ron Davis14/09/2009 17:57:19
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Try the bigger B&Q, my local one doent stock it but the ipswich one does.

You could also try Chestnuts web site for a local stockist

Ron
Blondy_UK14/09/2009 20:11:32
39 forum posts
10 photos
Thanks Alan, i have looked in the local Homebase but couldn't see any sanding sealer, what brand would they stocked and is it kept with the varnish and danish oil?

Same again with B&Q Ron, what would i be looking for in store as the assistants walking about in my local didn't seem to know what i was looking for.
Paul.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact