By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Going Down?

Comment on forum membership

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Malc06/09/2009 18:51:08
411 forum posts
63 photos
I'm not concerned about spelling. When you see the work turned out by some people who struggle with spelling what does it matter.
I am sad however that the site has declined over the last few months due to the lack of postings and I dont think that it is down to technicalities like spellcheckers. I have to say that I am as much to blame as anybody. After a while you do get tired of saying (or reading) the same stuff over and over again. I am also not happy about the subscriber only content. You may say "subcribe then" but in my experience magazines suffer from the same maladies as this forum. What goes around comes around. How many times has the technique for cutting a mortice and tenon been described in the magazine, I dont know because I dont read it but I bet it comes around on a regular basis.
I still enjoy the friendliness of this forum and I will be hanging around even though I may not contribute very much unless something comes up that sparks my interest.
Please dont get me wrong I am thankful to this site and its members for all the help that I have received. Sadly I do not have any answers and I do not know what will perk this forum up, I just hope that it happens.
Regards,
Malc.
On reading back I think my thoughts are rather jumbled (no, have not had a drink) but decided to leave it and hope that my thoughts come through.
Sparky06/09/2009 19:07:07
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Going on Al's and Olly's comment, I had thought about a 'How to' to use hand tools properly for the magazines but, could be done here as well. This of course can be said of power tools too.

Even using a plane correctly would give somebody satisfaction rather than a chore whereas there blade isnt correctly sharpened.........or going against the grain.........

Just a thought

Marc
Ron Davis07/09/2009 14:03:33
1614 forum posts
201 photos
I have been using the same planes for years, old friends now! However I learned more from Andy's article on fttling than I ever did before, I think we need both mags and the forum, both have a lot too ffer.

On the subscribers only theme, you have to buy the mags, and the site is free and paid for from the money we pay for the mags, plus ads of course. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Ron
Big Al07/09/2009 18:35:00
1599 forum posts
73 photos
I am not too worried about the subscribers only section. Subscribers directly support the magazines and its good to see that they get something back for their support. If any other member isn't happy about it, and they buy one of the magazines on a regular basis, then it's simple, subscribe.

I have subscribed in the past, about 7 years ago I think, and the only advantage's were that it was sent directly to me and it worked out a bit cheaper than buying it from a news agent. 

With regards to spell checkers, I use safari to browse the web, and both the PC and mac versions have a spell checker built in. If I offended anyone with my comment regarding spelling, then I am sorry as I did not intend to offend anyone.

Al 
George Arnold07/09/2009 19:59:06
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I agree with Ron about spelling and grammar, no one should be afraid to post an article on the site because  they are not good at spelling, we have had some excellent projects posted on this site, when the spelling has not been up to scratch, we  must not put people off  from posting and showing what they are making and how they have achieved it.that's what it's all about ,exchanging ideas, most of us work on our own  so it is good to see what other people are getting up to.
 I must agree with comments about Sparky he has done a brilliant job , always ready to help sorting out any problems we have with the site, thanks Sparky you have done a grand job .
 So any body who feels their spelling is not up to scratch do not be afraid to post and show us what you can do with your hands!
 So come on you non posters have a say , join in ,the more the merrier.

George
Sparky07/09/2009 22:19:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
This forum is about woodworking and the peoples love of the stuff.

Please keep it this way..............

Marc

----------------------------------------------------------------

George
Thank you mate

Marc

Woodworker08/09/2009 19:25:10
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Well said Marc.

I think this thread has run long enough now so I'm locking it to the archive...

Edited By Ben Plewes on 08/09/2009 19:26:37

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact