Comment on forum membership

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug02/09/2009 21:19:32
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Ralph Harvey on 02/09/2009 21:12:53:
Derek

I thought it was compulsary to be an idiot, ?

Ralph

I resemble that comment

Baz
Woodworker02/09/2009 21:21:07
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Well, the newsletter issue is a mystery. I'll get the elves on the case.

There seems to be various sub threads running though this thread now. Might be worth starting a new thread or two to keep this one on topic. 

Cheers,
Ben 
Sparky02/09/2009 21:21:51
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by baz on 02/09/2009 21:09:29:

Posted by sparky on 02/09/2009 20:49:38:
And I thought it was only me not loved

Its a conspiracy

Baz

That was all supposed to be in bold, but that don`t work either

Yes it did mate

Woodworker02/09/2009 21:30:39
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi all, I've started a new thread regarding the newsletter issue in 'Feedback and Suggestions'. Could anyone not receiving the newsletters post there please? This will give our technical elves something to work with in fixing the problem...

Doug02/09/2009 21:35:54
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by sparky on 02/09/2009 21:21:51:
Posted by baz on 02/09/2009 21:09:29:

Posted by sparky on 02/09/2009 20:49:38:
And I thought it was only me not loved

Its a conspiracy

Baz

That was all supposed to be in bold, but that don`t work either

Yes it did mate

Does that mean i`ve got to go down to Hampshire ever time i want to write something in bold print

Baz
Wolfie02/09/2009 22:16:56
406 forum posts
76 photos
Just thought I'd stick my oar in here. his is the only forum I have taken part in and I was very apprenhesive about uploading photos to display my amateur attempts at furniture making. Everyone has been very welcoming and I think it is really good to get an honest feedback.
      I must say that I do tend to use the forum to try and get answers to problems that I have had and so far have had them solved! I also would tend to read a lot more than participate.
Many thanks to you Marc for the work you do, it is appreciated and I hope that this site goes from strength to strength.

cheers   Ian
Sparky02/09/2009 22:29:15
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ian
This was the same as I felt when I started on here but, once the first step is taken, all the rest falls into place and your then part of the family

Also, thank you, its appreciated.

Marc  
Ron Davis03/09/2009 19:26:04
1614 forum posts
201 photos
People must be shy, it is so easy to post, and once you get the method, post pix

I have had lots of help, Sparky among others, and offered advice, no one knows it all!

Ron
George Arnold05/09/2009 21:20:28
1834 forum posts
191 photos
800 viewings and 52 replies and most of these are from the same forum members. that reply on a normal posting, I have not checked but I think there is no more than about 12 different people as most seem to have replied more than the once, How do you get people to partisipate?  there is an old saying," you can take a horse to water but yo can't make it drink".

George
Ralph Harvey05/09/2009 23:14:45
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Well Put George.

Ralph
steve h05/09/2009 23:31:48
403 forum posts
128 photos

Well , well well, as my dear old grandpa used to say (he was the woodworker) this is creating a bit of a rumpus!  My first subscription was to Get Woodworking, - about 2 ½ years ago, and I am still cr%p, but improving.  From day one I have sought knowledge from my peers and posted most eagerly to begin with.  I did feel, many moons ago that there was some ‘purist feel’ although a lot of the guys helped enormously and I was ever and indeed I still am ever grateful for their advice (sorry DI’YER)

I thought the magazine was there / is an ‘information pack for the new, the current and the wise to pass on knowledge, products etc etc, to those with a passion for the sport of wood shaving – in its various guises!

I also subscribe now to alternative sites, but very much as an observer, participating occasionally, as my American is pretty poor!

My passion is to learn what many of you guys do in your sleep, getting constantly frustrated trying to find information across a plethora of sites, although I have always come back to GW!

I am sure that there are a lot of people out there,  (age group perhaps) many of them not ready for the online forum experience, or just to afraid to put their ahead above the parapet, as they feel that they have either or neither the qualifications, experience or skills that many of you have.

But – you are a very friendly helpful bunch, and I realise that there are some that post frequently and consistently (thankfully) – many of us mortals often sit back and smile, laugh, gesticulate, and curse whilst reading posts, without the (written)  involvement.

It is a great experience to get involved in the site, share the all joviality, and experience the richness of experience that many of you have to share.

Switch from diesel to electricity, get more videos on, get some member discounts of participating sponsors, and get the literary team more involved in posting on the web site & contributing to the whole experience!>>

Did someone else mention that the only person doing any work here was Sparky? – It is nice to hear (electronically) the sound of the voices of Andy and the like, it is positive to hear your comments rather than just seeing your smiling face whilst advertising another manufacturer’s products!  Only teasing Andy – must be really hard looking at all those new toys! 

I think my consultation is complete – getting out of the chair – cured! – I hope I don’t get as crazy as you lot!

sad sam06/09/2009 11:02:47
597 forum posts
234 photos
good morning all
what is the site that you say andy king is contributing to and how do i get on it
sadsam
Big Al06/09/2009 13:21:36
1599 forum posts
73 photos
Well, I viewed this subject before I went on holiday, and now I am back I thought that I would add my comments. I have often looked at other forums, and found them nowhere as easy to use as this one. Yes there were some problems when the site changed its platform, and I also have noticed the down turn in posts, threads and also pictures.

Lately there has been a lot of turning pictures in the gallery, which when you look at the woodturning topic, hardly any activity happens within that topic. Also quite a few new members have been asking the same old questions, basically they are just starting out, they have x amount for budget, what should I buy. And some of the more established members have been a bit off with them. Perhaps there should be a place on the site with in-partial advice and reviews on machinery and tool purchases for different budgets.

There also seems a problem with some members who regularly make comments that are atrocious with their spelling. We can all make the odd mistake, but why oh why don't these people use the spell checker that is built into their browser. This is the one issue for me that really bugs me.

I don't usually buy the magazines as over the year's they have to some extent repeated themselves, and so I don't visit this site for a free read. I like to look at other members pictures of their projects, give constructive criticisms when asked for, and offer help and advice if I can. And yes I usually visit the site at least 2 times a day.

It's good that this thread has had so many replies', especially from the magazines contributor's.

Al 
Olly Parry-Jones06/09/2009 17:02:27
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Posted by Big Al on 06/09/2009 13:21:36:
Also quite a few new members have been asking the same old questions, basically they are just starting out, they have x amount for budget, what should I buy. And some of the more established members have been a bit off with them. Perhaps there should be a place on the site with in-partial advice and reviews on machinery and tool purchases for different budgets.

Hi Al, I think you're on to something here as this is something all forums appear to suffer from on a regular basis. There is, of course, already a Reviews section but I reckon some basic, additional advice for beginners (covering each machine) could fit in there somewhere.

The main problem there, as I see it, is that if the information provided is 'too good' then it could mean some would bypass the forum altogether if they've already found all the answers they were looking for.

It would certainly save a lot of the monotony regular visitors must feel, if something can be done.
Ron Davis06/09/2009 17:09:23
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Well said Big Al. the only point I would disagree with is the comment on spelling. Yes well slip up occasionally, and yes some peoples' posts take a little deciphering, but have you considered that there may be an underlying problem, dyslexia, poor education, childhood illness, to name just three. The fact that some one who has a genuine problem with literacy can post is good for them.

I can usually get the gist of what is said, and what more do we need. When you look at some of their pictures you can also see they are craftsmen and women, producing good examples of woodwork.

Sorry to sound of about this but we do need to welcome everyone  and as to the spellchecker, what spellchecker, Bens advice is to use the Google one

Ron

PS I had to edit this as I failed to take my own advice and read it before posting!

Edited By Ron Davis on 06/09/2009 17:11:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact