By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

reclaimed oak panneling c/w woodworm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Bell21/08/2009 14:01:59
156 forum posts
43 photos
Hi Folks,
It's been a while since I've been on as one big renovation project has been taking up all my time.  However I've just aquired the oak panneling from a church just before it was demolished, the plan is to re-work it to fit my front room, building it around the chimney breast  and adding cupboards at the sides.

The panneling has got  worm in parts the worst I'll cut out but I'm planning to treat all the rest of it with a Borax solution. Then I'll be storing them in the front room until I get round to starting, could be upto 12 months.

I am concerned about introducing an infestation in to my house.  Does anyone spot any weakness to my Plan?

Cheers
Andy
Tony Allen21/08/2009 15:28:25
12 forum posts
The only "weakness" i can see in your Plan is in choosing to clad your walls in wood. But there you are, it's all a matter of taste.
Andy Bell21/08/2009 16:43:05
156 forum posts
43 photos
I think i was about 10 years old when I said thats what I wanted as a reaction to modern interiors at the time I think I was Tudor influenced. I'll be the first to admit my tastes in some areas are alternative leaning to the "Gothic". 
I sketched a rough idea about 15 years ago.

Now I've got these pannels it will be up to door height instead of dado as in this sketch. The oval mirror might end up on a sliding pannel to hide a flat screen telly. With leather chesterfields and a real fire, something like will be spot on. That's if I ever get chance to sit down and enjoy it.

All in best possible taste
Andy
Delete21/08/2009 18:11:58
575 forum posts
Personally I would treat everythins as soon as the wood gets within 5 miles of the workshop and burn anything which is not being kept. I dont know about the preparation you suggest . I would consult Rentokill and see what their Web site says. The last thing you want is worm or beetel
Mike Jordan21/08/2009 20:12:39
160 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Andy
I believe the current theory is that the moisture levels in a modern house with cavity walls, central heating and good insulation are to low for woodworm to survive for long. Older houses with solid walls and a higher moisture level leave you with two choices. You can treat the worms and inhale the chemical fumes for years, or risk them scoffing their way into everything in sight. After seeing the damage done to older houses  I would be very wary of introducing anything with woodworm in it.
You can buy quite a lot of new oak for the cost of a professional woodworm  treatment!
Sorry if I sound like a prophet of doom, but I do wonder, if the treatment kills woodworm efficiently, what are the possible long term effects on woodworkers?
Regards
Mike

Cedric Wheeler22/08/2009 15:45:24
153 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Andy
I would use a good proprietory brand of worm killer,but it may not necessarily be active anyway.

One trick that I have used in the past is to put the treatmnet in with a hypodermic syringe direct into the holes. Using this method you make sure that you force it right in as the worm wont be sitting on the surface waiting for you to clobber it!
Regards

Cedric
Tommy mc glynn 122/08/2009 22:38:02
291 forum posts
1 photos
hi andy
 just one thing on your plan on putting your tv over the fireplace. if it is going to be a real fire don't put your tv over it. i done it in my sitting room and six mounts later the tv is in the bin. the heat from a fire is not good for lcd tv.
Ron Davis23/08/2009 18:16:53
1613 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Cedric, injecting the poison directly in to the hole will put it deep into the wood, but the bug will be long gone as these are flight holes where the adult beetle has left to find anothe piece of somenes treaured antique to chew on

Ron
Andy Bell24/08/2009 12:24:39
156 forum posts
43 photos
Thanks for all your coments, I'm a little less confident now. However I'll try and convince myself.

Aparently beetles need a moisture level over 12% to survive. Although my house isn't modern It is heated and dry. Where its going against external walls, moisture condensation could be problem. I could insulate behind it. I wonder what 12% moisture content is like and what levels are in the room at the moment, do I need to buy a meter?

Borax, I've read, is safe for humans with no fumes. Its a water soluable mineral salt, the beetles are suposed to die when they ingest wood that has been treated. The info I've read on this is all from the sellers of Borax on the internet, I would like some independent confirmation but at the moment I'm take it on trust.

TV over the fire place, I'd not considered the heat problem, I'll have a re-think about that.

Andy 
Delete25/08/2009 10:20:08
575 forum posts
The way to get over the problem of cooking the TV over the fireplace. is fit a mantle which opens. Inside put a roll up screen. Have a Projector in a cooler part of the room perhaps ceiling mounted. That way you get a large flat screen without causing it to fail due to heat.
Andy Bell25/08/2009 14:00:29
156 forum posts
43 photos
Nice one Roger,
I think that could be the perfect solution.
Cheers
Andy
Andy Bell17/09/2009 11:46:40
156 forum posts
43 photos
A quick update, I bought 1kg of Borax £17.95 enough to make up 10 litres. With a few drops of washing up liquid it soaks in easily. I can see on the surface crystals have formed. The solution sould have soaked into all the nooks and cranies and I should get two cracks at the little beggers. Once as they emerge as adults and a second time if any eggs hatch and the little un's start nibbling in. On top of that the humidity level should be too low for them.

I've treated half the pannels so far and transfered them to the living room for storage untill I get round to doing something more with them.

Joe O 317/09/2009 12:08:30
203 forum posts
Hi Andy,
Nice to see you back on the forum again.
I like the look of those panels.
Hope things work out well for you.
Joe.
Andy Bell21/09/2009 20:00:23
156 forum posts
43 photos
Yes the worm is active, I've knocked out "holy" pannels and cut off any really bad bits.
I had a dig around in one of the plywood pannels and found this...

As far as I can tell it's the larvae of a common furniture beatle. By the way its next to a pin head  not a nail.

I feel an experiment with the Borax coming on 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact