By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to fit parquet flooring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Mills18/08/2009 13:44:05
9 forum posts
I'm about to fit parquet flooring for the first time. I know I have to glue the blocks to the floor but do I have to glue them to each other?

Can anyone help
Sparky18/08/2009 17:54:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi David
What type of Parquet tiles are they........like these?

If so, I think you just glue the floor but, hopefully someone else who know more will comment later when they sign on.

Marc
Doug18/08/2009 21:19:29
3415 forum posts
35 photos
David.

I can only go on what i`ve taken out, they are not glued together just to the floor, usually in the case with concrete floors with bitumen. (Sparky knows all about that )

I would imagine each block being indepentent of each other allows for expansion & contraction.

Hope this is of use.

Baz
Ron Davis19/08/2009 19:18:37
1619 forum posts
201 photos
If you have bitumen down now, get it up!, it will stain and the stain will travll through most surfaces, I ended up tiling my bath room.

You do not say what sort of flooring you will be laying it on, and how level it is,

You could contact the makers of the parquet assuming you are not planning three months in the shed making bit yourself!

Ron

Joe O 319/08/2009 20:24:33
203 forum posts
David,
If you  have any makers  labels or instructions see do they recomend particular adhesives.. When you solve that i would  find the center of the room and thusget 4 quarters and mark and follow thos  lines as you lay them one quarter at a time. leave any that have to be cut til later.
Hope this  helps.
Joe.
tony bevis19/08/2009 21:57:11
83 forum posts
32 photos
Remember to leave an expantion gap round the outside of the floor under the skirting sometimes filled with cork or foam ......Tony
Delete20/08/2009 11:40:34
575 forum posts
50 or 60 years ago Parquet flooring was a quality produce with the wood being some decent thickness. The builders in those days used a Bitumen to set the blocks in. Today with thin strips of what I consider as fire wood Rons comment is probably very good.
Let us know how it goes
David Mills24/08/2009 15:39:59
9 forum posts
Thanks for the help everyone. They are the traditional look parquet approc 200*65mm. Half of the floor is ply over floorboard and hald is asphalt. As far as I can gather I need to prime the floor using stuff recomended by the adhesive manufacturer, and glue the blocks to the floor and not together.

I post a photo in a couple of months (its a big floor)

Sparky24/08/2009 16:04:26
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Look forward to seeing it Dave. Good luck

Marc
Ron Davis24/08/2009 19:35:53
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Sad I know, but I do watch DIY SOS sometimes, in a recent Sky repeat they relaid some original parquet with a white flooring adhesive. Hopefully, knowing DIY SOS it was not plaster!

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact