By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Natural Edge Goblets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Atkinson31/07/2009 10:25:51
672 forum posts
115 photos
Been promising to do this for a while and now I've got a "ROUNDTUIT"!
1. Select your log – about 6 to 8 inches long and about 2 to 3 inches diameter.  Make sure the pith is off centre and doesn’t cross the centre line between the ends, otherwise it’s bound to cross the stem and your goblet will break.  I don’t know what this wood was but it has some interesting colour and a worrying crack across the middle! 

2. Here’s the piece mounted between centres.

3. It’s a little out of balance so start the lathe at between 500 and 1000 rpm.

4.  I use a spindle roughing gouge to take the edges off and get it mainly in balance.  Sometimes I use a half inch bowl gouge to take off the edges. 

5.  Having taken off the edges I start to roughly shape the bowl part of the goblet.  Leave about 6 – 8 mm of the natural edge showing so you have enough of the edge left to refine the edge of the bowl in the next stage.

6. Now’s the time put a chucking point on the headstock end of the log.  I have a supernova chuck and the jaw profile is straight with a small dovetail right at the end.  (Yes, it made quite a bang when I caught the chuck jaw!- it was some time ago though!!)  

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:41:49

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:43:03

Dave Atkinson31/07/2009 10:31:48
672 forum posts
115 photos
7.  I’ve finished the initial shaping of the bowl part.  Leave the bulk of the log in place for now as this will reduce the tendency for the log to vibrate as you hollow out the bowl of the goblet.

8.  Ready to go on the inside of the bowl.

9.  Using a 3/8” spindle gouge i bored a hole down the timber to the required depth – about 1.5 to 2 inches.

10.  Using a spindle gouge, or a ¼” bowl gouge I use a pull cut from the centre towards the edge.  I find that although this cut is with the grain it tends to leave some tear out especially on timber like this which was a little soft.

11.  To improve the finish I use a ¼” bowl gouge with the wings ground back and make a finishing cut from the edge to the middle.  The best way to do this is to get the bevel rubbing somewhere about and inch from the edge but without a cut.  Move the tool outwards until it just clears the edge.  Raise th handle slightly and work your way back in.  This will take a small cut and the bevel will rub and you won’t get a catch – takes a steady hand a bit of practise – but it gives a great cut. 

12.  Here you can make out the better finish on the outside edge compared to the inside having used the “downhill” cut.

Dave Atkinson31/07/2009 10:36:36
672 forum posts
115 photos

13. Sanding down through the grits and the application of melamine lacquer results in a good finish.  That crack was still there by the way and I filled it with superglue before I sanded and it did the trick.>>

> 14. I have made a small wooden end for my revolving centre as this gives better support to the goblet when I finish the end piece. >

I put some kitchen towel between the wood and the centre and this prevents any marking.

15. Now it’s a simple matter of shaping the outside to match the inside.  Keep an eye on the thickness or you’ll have a pretty, but useless, funnel!  You can see here the presentation of the tool to start the cut. (white balance all wrong – sorry!)>>

16. When you get to this stage sand and finish the bowl. 

17. Now work your way from the base of the bowl towards the base, finishing as you go.   

Dave Atkinson31/07/2009 10:40:56
672 forum posts
115 photos
18. Here I’m using my skew chisel on the stem.  Note how I support the stem with my forefinger under the rest.  The skew is one of my favourite tools for this job and as long as it’s sharp it works well and behaves itself!

19. All done now – just got to undercut the base and part it off.  Get ready to catch it!

20. Here’s the base – needs a bit of sanding yet.

21. All done.  I finished the edge with a pyrograph tool to give it a bit of texture as the bark came off.  I created an ogee shape on the base which I wasn’t very happy with – but I sold it recently at a club demo so it just goes to show some people like what we don’t.  Having said that I think a cove shape on the foot looks best. 

Just goes to show what you can make from a piece of firewood.

22. Here’s another couple of examples done in Yew – the one on the left is a bit thick.  Again I‘ve textured and burnt the edge. 

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:44:52

Ralph Harvey31/07/2009 12:15:50
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Dave

A great "how to" well explained and a very nice end product

well done

Ralph
Joe O 331/07/2009 14:53:54
203 forum posts
Dave,
Magnificent!
Joe.
Oddjob31/07/2009 15:49:09
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Brilliant stuff Dave

Another "How To" for the archives.

You make it seem very easy but I know from sad experience that such slim stems can be a nightmare to do.  If the pith doesn't wreck the job then the whip does!

Working your way down the stem and finishing as you go is a new one on me.  I'll give it a go.  I've still got some nice yew around.

Richard
Wolfie31/07/2009 16:30:58
406 forum posts
76 photos
Excelent how to Dave, well done. I must try it sometim 

Ian
Alan T.31/07/2009 17:24:28
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Dave , I can only agree with what the other chaps have said.  Splendid how to.  Alan T.
Sparky31/07/2009 19:36:49
7631 forum posts
22 photos
What a brilliant 'How to'.

This is something I've wanted to try but didn't have the foggiest how to do it.....now I do.

Thanks very much Dave and as Richard mentioned, one for the archives.

Marc
Dave Atkinson31/07/2009 21:16:20
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks for your comments guys - my success rate with these is getting better only about 1 im 4 go in the bin!

Richard, bringing up the tail centre very gently until it just starts to spin greatly reduces the whip.

Thanks again guys - looking forward to seeing some pics.  

Cheers Dave 

Doug01/08/2009 12:49:50
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Great run through Dave.

I`ll give it a go when i finally get some lathe time & post the results.

Best wishes.

Baz
Dave Atkinson02/08/2009 08:03:02
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks Baz

I look forward to seeing the pics.  Hope all is well with you.  

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 02/08/2009 08:03:12

Mark Sutton02/08/2009 13:58:05
193 forum posts
59 photos
Brilliant Guide Dave

Goblets are my favourite item to turn.
Dave Atkinson03/08/2009 09:25:20
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks for your kind comment Mark
Cheers Dave 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact