By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Best finish for Ash

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy King19/05/2008 12:13:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Blimey Derek, that's a new experience for me, actually getting something right!!!

cheers,

Andy

Mike Garnham19/05/2008 12:33:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Displaying my ignorance here.......

.....what is the difference between a lacquer and a varnish?

I have used a clear water-based varnish a few times, and it does just as Andy said......starts milky, then dries perfectly clear. It just isn't as glossy as a PU varnish.

Mike 

derek willis19/05/2008 12:58:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike,

I am probably going to be proved wrong, but, as far as I can see, nothing!

Derek. 

derek willis19/05/2008 13:02:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Added to this, got 4 1 litre cans of satin acrylic in the workshop, an ironmongers was closing down in Witney, I went in on their last day and bought all they had of Sadolinn Acrylic Satin, for £2:00 a can, not £15:00, god knows when I'll ever use it up, but at £2:00 what else could I do?

Derek. 

Woodworker19/05/2008 13:07:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
A trip to the local Axminster is required to source a water based finish I think. Thanks for the info Andy and Derek. Mike G; my understanding is that, technically, lacquers and varnishes are very similar, they both involve dissolving a resin in a liquid for applying on wood to form a hard clear surface. Traditionaly lacquer would include shellac so it's a more specialized term. Anything not including shellac would be termed a varnish. However, in workshops I've spent time in varnishes apply to products that are brushed on whereas lacquers refer to two-part and spray on products.
derek willis19/05/2008 13:14:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

There you are I knew we'd find out!!!!!

D. 

derek willis19/05/2008 13:30:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Ben,

Would you be able to include shellac in a water based material, I wouldn't have thouht so, but like I said I'm probably wrong again!!!!

Just looked at my tins, Polyurethane Acxrylic Satin Varnish with Teflon added, priced at £14:99 litre, I must say when I used some on a few things last year it finished ver well.

Derek. 

Woodworker19/05/2008 13:39:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Derek, I was referring to the origins of the two terms because it's interesting to know where they came from. As far as I can make out the current meaning of varnish and lacquer are now in the hands of various finishing manufacturers marketing departments!
Mike Garnham19/05/2008 13:51:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Ben....very interesting.

I know I have said before that I will one day go on a David Charlesworth course....but much more useful would be a really good course on finishing. I would love to spend some time with someone who knew what he was talking about, trying all the available stuff on all sorts of wood. 

Woodworker18/05/2008 18:40:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

I'm just about to finish my latest project in English Ash and wonder if anyone can suggest some good finishes. At the moment I'm planning on using sanding sealer and wax. I've tried linseed oil in the past but it turns Ash quite yellow, which I'm not keen on.

Any suggestions?

Doug18/05/2008 19:16:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Ben.

I seem to remember someone, i think it was Big Al recommending a Ronseal product, something like furniture oil.

I just tried putting it in the keyword search, but it says the facility isn`t working.

Baz.

Mike Garnham18/05/2008 19:33:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Ben,

I've done loads of furniture (and doors) in ash, and generally used Danish oil. However, I would advise you not to do this. In going back to take photos for the gallery, I was disappointed to find how yellow everything had gone.

To keep it blonde, I am planning to try Rustins Plastic Coat on my next ash furniture, starting soon. Derek says that it doesn't have to give a thick plasticcy gloss finish if you don't want it to, because it can be thinned down, and it can be rubbed to make it more matt. Apparently it doesn't yellow over time.

I think your sanding sealer and wax plan would work well....the only difficulty will be seeing where you have waxed and where you haven't. I doubt whether it will highlight the grain as well as an oil does, unfortunately.

What have you made?

Mike

Woodworker18/05/2008 20:30:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick to the sanding sealer / beeswax plan but still very interested to find alternatives ~ I've got quite a bit of Ash at the moment. Mike, it's a simple set of dovetailed shelves. Just finishing off the dovetails now. Hope to get it glued up later tonight and finished tomorrow.
Mike Riley18/05/2008 23:25:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
Ben I hate the way Ash turns yellow when oiled, makes it look dirty and just generally nasty. I have been told (but haven't tried it) that you can bleach Ash first and then oil it which has the overall result of returning it to its natural colour. Alternately I seem to recall Andy King mentioning a product back in the mists of time, ask him there's an chance that he might remember unless I was dreaming it. Cheers Mike
Doug19/05/2008 05:57:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Ben.

Mike Riley`s right it was Andy King, he recommended water based laquer for ash, i even e-mailed Andy for more information about it, Doh my memory.

Both Chestnut & Behlen sell it, have a word with Andy, & if possible could you post your results, i`ve still not made the ash bed i wanted to know about the laquer for.

Now i just need to find that book i bought on improving my memory.............Where did i put it????????????????

Cheers all   Baz.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact