By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wood working clubs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Phillips15/05/2008 21:34:00
22 forum posts

Hello all,

As you will see from my profile I have recently returned to woodworking and in particular wood turning does any one local to Tewkesbury know of any woodworking or wood turning clubs in the area? My workshop area is at the front of the garage and I have had about three people wander up the drive for a chat and see what I am doing on the lathe in the last six months, some just wander past and stare ( I must stop wearing a dress when I am turning wood - ha ha)

Anyway if you know of anything please let me know.

Many Thanks

Clive 

Rob Johnson15/05/2008 22:06:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Welcome Clive, I am sure some one will happen along with some help on the clubs local to you. Im in the wrong part of the country so the best I can offer is to ask your local turning goods supplier or wood yard to see if they know of anyone local to you.

Some wood lathe suppliers hold turning days or seminars, just talking to local woodturners has great benefits.

There are some very good woodturning members on this site who are happy to help answer questions. ( Not forgetting the Begginers guide to turning on the home page)

Regards Rob

Clive Phillips16/05/2008 22:49:00
22 forum posts

Rob,

Thanks for your help, you are right talking to other woodturners does help. The one thing I appear to be short of in this neck of the woods is a wood yard, would you beleive the nearest to me is over 40 miles away. Anyway once again thanks for your help

Best Wishes

Clive

derek willis18/05/2008 14:37:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Clive, I live in Milton-U-Wychwood, West Oxon. As for woodyards, how about,Wessex Timber at Langney Gloucester, or, Actreo Hardwoods at Cleobury Mortimer, Worcs. Both of these advertise in The Woodworker magazine.

Derek. 

derek willis18/05/2008 14:45:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Clive,

I punched into google Timber supplies tewkesbury, and I came up with ten results, then a further ten more, these are not 40 miles away, but in and around TTewkesbury and Gloucester.

Hope this helps.

Derek. 

derek willis18/05/2008 16:13:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

/sites/5/images/member_albums/5487/ScreenShot002_%28600_x_480%29.jpg

Clive here is the page with tensuppliers.

Derek.

Mike Garnham18/05/2008 16:25:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Whoa Derek!!!!!!

That's a bit computer-savvy, isn't it!!! 

How on earth did you manage to get a screen shot onto this site? OK, it would have been a bit better if it was readable, but thats just being picky!

Mike 

derek willis18/05/2008 17:03:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike,

I just thought about it after I put it on, I could have cropped it and made it clearer, but after thoughts are all well and good.

So, I took a screenshot, opened it into a photo programme and converted it into a jpeg. then I resized it and put it in here, just as i did my pixresizer, a few weeks ago. 

Derek. 

Terry Porter18/05/2008 17:42:00
16 forum posts

Hi Clive,

Go to The Association of Woodturners of Great Britain (AWGB) website, and they have a list of all the local clubs in Britain which are part of the Association, and which is a splendid orgaisation for woodturners.

Happy turning

Terry

Clive Phillips19/05/2008 22:36:00
22 forum posts

Derek,

Thanks for your help, I did contact Wessex Timber but was put off by the price and the quantity. I had to buy, considering I had only just started. Since then I have had a number of friends only too glad to get rid of bits of hardwood just to tidy out their sheds, this will eventually come to and end. I know that you can buy bowl blanks from Axminster and Yandles. My firend told me about a log which was up by the roundabout near us, so off I walk one evening (this thing was supposed to be about 3 foot by 6" diameter. It was 5 foot by 8" and it was heavy. I still don;t know what wood it actually is but it was very heavy to carry home which I did ( 1/2 mile). The next day I looked at and found worm holes in it. undetered I sawed a chunk off, split in half , drew a circle on each half and gave it to my friend to put on his bandsaw, hey presto he got a tuned bowl with character, I got a bowl with an integral candle stick. Who says you can't fit and enough exercise woodturning.

Talk to you soon

Clive

Clive Phillips19/05/2008 22:37:00
22 forum posts

Hi Terry,

Thanks I will try them too.

Clive

derek willis20/05/2008 08:38:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Clive,

That's the way to do it, I have often picked up or scrounged large chunks, one can always find a way to deal with it.

Derek. 

Dave Atkinson20/05/2008 11:59:00
672 forum posts
115 photos

Hi Clive

If you go to http://www.woodturners.co.uk/ (the AWGB website) and follow the link to Branches you will see there are at least three within easy reach of you - Forest of Dean, Herefordshire and possibly the Worcestshire branch.

As far as timber goes, if you fancy a day out try visiting Yandles in Martock, which is about a couple of hours from you, just outside Yeovil.  They have a great selection of timber and 2 open days/shows each year which are well worth a visit.  They also have a coffee shop etc and it's a great part of the world to visit.  Their website is http://www.yandles.co.uk/

Good luck Dave

Delete20/05/2008 23:09:00
575 forum posts

Clive

I have just seen your post. I assume that peoples interest will be caused if they think you are dong a Turn as Pantomime Dame this year!!

Clive Phillips15/05/2008 21:34:00
22 forum posts

Hello all,

As you will see from my profile I have recently returned to woodworking and in particular wood turning does any one local to Tewkesbury know of any woodworking or wood turning clubs in the area? My workshop area is at the front of the garage and I have had about three people wander up the drive for a chat and see what I am doing on the lathe in the last six months, some just wander past and stare ( I must stop wearing a dress when I am turning wood - ha ha)

Anyway if you know of anything please let me know.

Many Thanks

Clive 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact