Hello, newbie here

A little advice required

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Noble10/07/2009 22:21:26
4 forum posts
Hello everybody,
This is my ffirst post here on this forum,
At the ripe old age of 36 I finally have a decent size workshop, it will soon be time to "rig it out" I have a few things to tidy up ffirst...

The question,,,,,,,,,,,,, what should I be looking at doing, I have pretty much a clean slate to work with here, any advice / tip's or suggestions are welcome.

How should I go about rigging it up for , what are the main things to consider?? I have a pit for my car in the floor, so I need to work around repairing the car occassionaly, but most of the time I can have it set up for project's.

Also what are the essential machines to have?/ I have several already but looking to get more LOL
jay 110/07/2009 22:44:46
72 forum posts
6 photos
hello robert what machines have you got saves people if you tell us
Robert Noble10/07/2009 23:07:04
4 forum posts
I have a small thicknesser, bench planer, table saw, mitre saw, router's, biscuit jointer..moticer and usual drill's, planer, circular saw etc...

I am looking at getting a Pillar drill, bandsaw and a router table. Ideally i want a lathe come time.
It is more the lay out, I like to keep thing's tidy and organised, also looking for ways to make use of bench for various tool's, maybe a "cut out" that can be adapted to take several tool's using a template for the board the tool is bolted on ???
jay 110/07/2009 23:48:09
72 forum posts
6 photos
a band saw is great bit of kit i have a sip 12 inch it will cut thicker than a bench saw and blades are cheap try and get one as near as one horse power as you can it will nearly do every thing you want rutlands are doing a sale they have a router table i think its adakota i have one there not bad i have it on the wall and some tools you will not want to lift all the time to put them on the bench my morticer you can convert to a pillar drill take  a look at your instructions and if you have not got them go onsome tool sites with the same moticer might be able to tell you if you can convert it
Ralph Harvey11/07/2009 00:04:57
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Robert

Welcome to the forum, the first question has got to be, what do you want to make ? are you interested in producing furniture or turning items maybe a combination of all ?

Ralph
Robert Noble12/07/2009 15:02:45
4 forum posts
Thank's for reply guy's,
Jay, I think I can get attachment's for my morticer to convert to drill, I need to check though.
Ralph, I intend to make whatever come's to mind really, I just get an idea then go with it. I have plans to make some interior furniture, but first I want to get my garage organised with bench and work station's, I like some of the new yankee stuff, anyone know where i can get some plan's??

Also what is best way to get rust off cast iron table's ?? And can you get replacement dust extraction bag's for a SIP , the mice has got to miy top one while saw was in the shed, it is one of those "inflatable one's" ??
Sparky12/07/2009 18:52:39
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Robert
Welcome to you mate.

If you browse other members albums, you may get some ideas for future projects

If you fill in your profile you will be able to place your likes, dislikes, experience in woodworking, tools and even fill up your album with projects you've made as many members wont read this thread and miss out knowing you......

Cheers
Marc
Olly Parry-Jones12/07/2009 22:13:30
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Robert, welcome to the forum.

Before you begin filling your space with shiny new toys, I reckon it's worth looking at the lighting in your workshop. If it's dark in there, you may want to consider painting the walls white now, which would be a whole lot easier without loads of tools and wood in your way!

Insulation? Is the roof water-tight? These are all things I wish I'd considered before I started sliding down 'The Slope'...!
Derek Lane13/07/2009 18:56:21
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
As OPJ said above workshop first. Get to know the tools you have and make some small things. You will soon find out the tools you will need first, build up the workshop slowly. And of course look on here for idea's, ask questions as you come to  them some one will be able to help
Robert Noble13/07/2009 20:20:54
4 forum posts
The garage is fully kitted out with lights and the wall's are plaster boarded (painted magnolia) I have about 15' x 22' to work with, so not an issue with space if I get it right.

My first task is to get benche's / work surfaces prepared then go from there....

My tool's are rusty with being in the shed, what is the best way to clean cast iron?? apart from elbow grease, any chemical's around??
Ged Meager13/07/2009 20:37:59
222 forum posts
Robert glad tosee you here on the forum  As for lay out think about how you work and plan your machine layout around that. One very big word of caution and that is if you floor is unevenie car pit be very carfull about machine layout dont want you tripping or stumbling and woops only 9 fingers left yours GED MEAGER

Edited By Ged Meager on 13/07/2009 20:39:33

Derek Lane13/07/2009 20:43:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Try >>here< for help with rust problems

Edited By Derek Lane on 13/07/2009 20:47:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact