By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The wonderful Tormek grinder

In channel gouges....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The Tormek Grinder

The Tormek Grinder

Allan Fyfe of Lethenty Mill Furniture takes a lighthearted look at the virtues of the Tormek Grinder

John Blackie08/07/2009 14:54:06
40 forum posts
2 photos
I think everyone must have one in their shed (workshop) and don''t use it judging by the number which come up on ebay all the time and which often sell for not much money.

The only jig I now look for is one which will take care of in channel or is it "canal" gouges.  Getting a fine edge on these is a topic everyone seems to avoid.
Dave Atkinson08/07/2009 19:17:58
672 forum posts
115 photos
I have a tormek and love it.  I replaced the old wheel a while ago with the black one and it's fab.  Not sure what a "canal" gouge is.

Cheers Dave 
Alan T.08/07/2009 20:07:59
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello John,
                        I too have a Tormek (the smaller model) and wouldn't be without it. Haven't heard of a canal gouge either.  Alan  T.
jay 110/07/2009 20:51:15
72 forum posts
6 photos
hello john ihave the tormek 1206 the same as alan one wood not swop it for the world only complaint i have the stone is very soft i use it for all my carving tools and the house knifes have to say so easy to set up and use i think i have that jig your talking about don t use very much have not done to much carving this year so know need to get it out do all the plane blades and any thing i can get my hands on when i use the grinder
Alan T.11/07/2009 09:25:05
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Jay,
                   As you say the Tormek stones wear very quickly and are expensive to replace.
 I have replaced mine with a pattern replica which is much harder but I cannot trace or remember where I bought it. If I come across the invoice I'll pass it on. There is another alternative marketed by T& J Tools see info@t-jtools.co.uk which is a diamond coated wheel which presumably would last a lifetime. Just another thought to help your wheels last longer, the bar tool rest on the Tormek is available as a spare part and I have fitted one of these to my dry grinder which means I can do the tool shaping on this using the Tormek  tool holders and then then transfer to the wet system to get the finished article. The dry crystalline stone does the hard work quicker and costs a lot less.Cheers  Alan T 
Merlyn1418/10/2009 11:19:02
1 forum posts
Gouges - In-cannel or out-cannel gouges are gouges with the bevel on the inside or outside respectively. May be too late with the advice but typically to sharpen an in-cannel gouge use a slip stone or even better use a piece of dowel the same radius as the inside of the bevel and wrap coarse through to fine grades wet n' dry paper around the dowel. Use light oil such as 3-in-one. You can sort out any major edge damage this way then get a razor edge. Geoffrey
Delete19/10/2009 22:08:35
575 forum posts
I refused to buy a Tormek on the grounds of Price and the Sales staff at the Axminster Show some years ago. I hasten to add it was not the Tormek Demonstrator / Salesman or the Axminster people. It was the Importers. I was doing a comparison with Tormek and the Scheppach Tiger. Having been told I should compare like with like and the Tiger was nothing like the Tormek. My research showed there was verry little diferance. Colour of paint was about the most noticible differance. A lot of my machines are Yellow so the Tiger matches. It cost half what Tormek wanted. Great machine and the Tormek Jigs fit .
Mike Collins24/10/2009 10:04:54
1 forum posts
I bought several secondhand in-cannel gouges some years ago and finally admitted defeat.    Ashley Isles will sharpen tools for a fiver each, including p&p or their own tools for free, plus p&p.   Well worth the money.
I bought the red  wet grinder from Axminster before the price rocketed.   Great tool.
Mike C. 
Ged Meager21/11/2009 22:46:37
222 forum posts
I've had a Tormek for anumber of years and I thnk they do a great job certainly takes away a lot of elbow grease whe regrinding plane chisels etc but one major drawback is that I find it difficultto grind my plane iron square often en up  like madame gulitine  but if you have the jigs which are bloody expesive sharpening turning tool is bril .
GED
steve h23/11/2009 10:02:31
403 forum posts
128 photos
Following much thought, I recently purchased the Tormek T7 and was instantly rewarded with chisels and plane irons that cut like never before.  As a hobbyist I have little skill in honing without the aid of jigs, but I was amazed at sharpness and the ease of how it was achieved - OK it is very expensive, but with a 5 year warranty, I thought I could not go wrong!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact