By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Amazing what they can do with a little wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ralph Harvey04/07/2009 20:51:25
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Found this in my little storage shed, Whilst i apreciate the effort they put into making it, I would much rather they did it somewhere else

Any idea how i get rid of it ? some of the bits in the shed are needed and the little sods wont let me near it. !

Ralph
Derek Lane04/07/2009 21:56:25
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Ralph

There is a spray you can get that will dissolve the nest just can't remember the name. If I can i will post it here. Try the garden centres most likely place to look
Sparky04/07/2009 23:53:16
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Now you know why your shed was so cramped!

What ever you do to it, do it at night, there dormant then.

I also remember that spray Derek but, for the life of me I cant remember its name either .........Ah, Nippon........the same for ants. >> here <<

Here is a  few other places that sell different repellents.

big ian05/07/2009 10:34:25
49 forum posts
26 photos
Ralph
i had to remove one last year . my technique you may say was a little mad but it worked well for me and i didnt get stung. As Sparky said wait until dark then climb up with a bin bag ,place the bag around the nest and nik it off at the top. its then up 2 you wot you do with them.
Ron Davis05/07/2009 14:52:40
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Leave it a while if you can, wait till next month when the queens have flown the nest, after that the workers are simply a pest.

It is not always recognised how much they help the gardener, they prey on all sorts of insects to feed their young and the grubs give sugary substance which feeds the adults. Once next years queens have left the nest the old queen dies and hence a generation of wasps with no food, your picnic and fruit bowl will do nicely! It is not till August they becom a nuicance

Ron

It is about wood work, they built wooden houses long before we did!

Edited By Ron Davis on 05/07/2009 14:53:09

Delete05/07/2009 23:13:24
575 forum posts
As it appears to be a wasp nest you can get the local council pest officer to come and deal with it.
On the other hand I have used White spirit to get rid of this type of pest. "They dont like it up them".
Oddjob06/07/2009 22:34:11
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I once had one of these, about the size on a ternnis ball, in my hedge.  I found it when I sliced it through with my hedge-cutter.  That upset the little devils - hundreds of them all over me in seconds!  I was stung about 20 times.  Fortunately my system doesn't react to wasp stings very badly (no sense - no feeling they say) so the pain didn't last for long.

Richard
Ralph Harvey07/07/2009 16:42:11
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Richard

I have no intention of getting too close to these little sods, the nest is already a little bigger than a tenis ball about half the size again.

I have opted for a "safer" sollution, the council man is coming out tommorow to deal with it. £25 and thats 1/2 price,!! but at least i dont need to get too close at all.

Looking forward to getting some timber out of the shed too get on with the next project

Thanks all

Ralph
George Arnold07/07/2009 17:07:16
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Ralph
Glad you have found a salution to your wasp nest, have you studied a nest up clpse(empty of course) they are a wonderful piece of work, it's amazing that only the queens survive the winter, the difference between wasps and bees stinging ,bees can only sting once as their stings are barbed and stay in the victim ,wasps on the other hand can sting more than once.
Nippon would have done the trick if you had been brave enough, or silly enough, depending on your point of view to  get close enough to spray  them.
 If I am in the workshop in the spring and a queen wasp flies in I have a tin of spray and  I blast it, every one killed is one less nest to plague you this time of the year.

George  
Sparky07/07/2009 21:46:41
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ron
I see your having the easy way of life

It may well be worth the £25 to get to your wood but, I do hope you realize that once a nest is occupied, there are another 3 hiding somewhere!!!

Only joking mate, hope to see some woodworking very soon.
Marc
Ralph Harvey07/07/2009 22:41:52
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
George

I think i will be getting some of that Nippon spray for future use.

Marc

The new hollowing tool arived today, so now i want to play but i cant get the wood out to practice on.

Ralph
Sparky07/07/2009 23:29:03
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ouch!

Stay calm Ralph, your be using it by Thursday

Marc
Ralph Harvey08/07/2009 22:17:11
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

The man from the council has been &  they have gone now,

Unusual method used in this case, he was all ready to zap them with some insecticide but then opted for the black bag and little stick method,

they are by now being frozen in his office and soon will be preserved with hair sprey before finally being used as a visual aid for schools.

well at least they are not in my shed

Ralph

Derek Lane08/07/2009 22:46:30
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Glad the problem is sorted, now you can get in the shed
Joe O 309/07/2009 00:33:13
203 forum posts
Ralph,
Seems the Great man Sparky was right after all
Posted by sparky on 07/07/2009 23:29:03:
Ouch!

Stay calm Ralph, your be using it by Thursday

Marc

Joe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact