By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

mitre saws

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
handy mandy28/06/2009 21:55:45
62 forum posts
36 photos
just wondered if anyone had ever had any trouble with there guard on there mitre saw .forgot to ask when i joined this website because about 5 weeks ago the guard on my mitre saw dropped down while in use causing the guard to shatter and cause quite alot of damage to my left hand had to go back to the jigsaw.2 and a half hours of surgery later and lost top of one finger,disfigured another 3 would put a picture on but dont want to upset anyone.just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with there guards.mandy
Sparky28/06/2009 22:09:51
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mandy, sorry to hear of your trouble. 
What mitre saw is it?

If its new'ish (within a year) go back to where you bought it for an exchange of refund

Have you any pictures?

Marc
handy mandy28/06/2009 22:10:32
62 forum posts
36 photos
whats worse is the response i got from people like"well women and power tools don't mix" what a load of rubbish. 2 years i have had the saw and it just happens,accidents that is.i would appreciate any thoughts you might have on the matter.the guard was plastic.mandy
handy mandy28/06/2009 22:13:46
62 forum posts
36 photos
it was argos's own make(challenge),my first ever mitre saw.i've had it about 2 years.is it right when they say you get what you pay for.it cost me £50.mandy
handy mandy28/06/2009 22:14:29
62 forum posts
36 photos
did you mean picture of my hand or mitre saw.mandy
Sparky28/06/2009 22:15:49
7631 forum posts
22 photos
The spring may have come loose which holds it over the blade and you may have just let it slip............still not nice having parts of your body removed
Sparky28/06/2009 22:19:12
7631 forum posts
22 photos
No, the saw ...........dont want to see deformed fingers at this time of night!

I dont think Argos would do anything after all this time.......usually the warranty is 12 months for their machines..........

Marc
handy mandy28/06/2009 22:19:40
62 forum posts
36 photos
i'm not bothered about that,would have to loose my hand to stop me working with wood.mandy
John Kinch29/06/2009 19:11:18
206 forum posts
91 photos
Mandy, I believe statutory rights entitle you to 2 years warranty. Besides they have sold you a dangerous tool which may contravene standard health and safety regulations. Take it back to Argos and kick up a stink, they are usually fair with replacements. If you don't try you don't know. Show them the injury.
     John Kinch.

Ron Davis29/06/2009 20:33:30
1619 forum posts
201 photos
The saw is clearly not fit for purpose, so try the Sale of Goods act, and also your local Trading Standards Office

Ron
Eric Harvey 130/06/2009 16:17:35
221 forum posts
81 photos
Hi mandy,

I would try what Ron and John say,but only if there was no damage(ie:from being roughed up,dropped etc.) and to the ones that say women and power tools don`t mix,tell them to pull their heads in and start living in the real world.Hope you heal up soon and as best as possible,Regards,

Eric

Edited By Eric Harvey 1 on 30/06/2009 16:18:30

Ralph Harvey30/06/2009 22:35:55
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Mandy

I agree they do say you get what you pay for but you payed for it to work ! kick up a stink and get it replaced, i have through necesaty bought cheap brands too but they still have be safe, show them your fingers and threaten to claim damages ?

As for the lost and damaged appendages i did a similar thing to my thumb last year, didnt loose mine, hurt like hell and still slightly numb, but it works

Ralph
Tommy mc glynn 130/06/2009 23:03:25
291 forum posts
1 photos
 mandy
 who says women and power tools don't mix. women are better dirvers than most men ( out from me lol) wemen all ways read manuls not like us men we think we know better.
 i think when buy any power tool let you man or women you should have do some corse on that tool. hope your back in the workshop soon
Joe O 301/07/2009 01:02:09
203 forum posts
Mandy,
Belated welcome to the forum, complements on your fine workpersonship and sorry about your accident.
I would say send a detailed letter to the company (registered if necessary) giving them full details of exactly what happened to you and see what response you get.
Then if you are not satisfied you should contact Trading Standards and/or Citizens advice to find out your rights.
Regards
Joe.
handy mandy01/07/2009 06:38:42
62 forum posts
36 photos
thanks for all your suggestions.myfriend who also does alot of would work(man) said i shouldn't mess about and just put a claim in with one of those companies that work with a no win no fee.but i dont know what to do.am i wasting my time doing that or shall i just go straight to the souce.what does everyone think????????? your oppinions would help. thanks mandy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact