By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

bottle stoppers

bottle stoppers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
T.allan Jones05/05/2008 22:11:00
82 forum posts
8 photos

I've just completed these few stoppers/dibbers and honey dipper. and have thoroughly enjoyed this new experience. As a raw beginner I have made some faults. I made these items from an old bar stool with four legs. I haven't decided on the finish either stain or varnish but i have used some beeswax on a few. The sawdust seems to give them a nice shiny finish which shows the wood off.
Ralph Harvey05/05/2008 23:34:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Its a great idea to reuse an old bar stool, and they look great. as to the finish i would steer clear of stain as it is likely to leech into what ever the stopper is in,

Try sanding sealer whilst turning apply with a rag then cut back with 0000 wire wool, followed by a wax stick from liberon, or mix your own with some of the beeswax.

What have you got planned for the top of the stool, look forward to seeing it in the future

Ralph

Rob Johnson14/05/2008 02:28:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

A nice variety. For contact with food or drink I would suggest Olive oil as a finish or pure beeswax. Some waxes contain additives that will taint or worse. There are some other finishes for items to be in contact with foodstuffs but not having used them cannot comment on the usability of them.

Have always fancied a set of Chess piece stoppers..... but the wine never lasts long enough ( evaporation, I call it  )

Rob

Woodworker14/05/2008 11:47:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Tung oil would be an ideal finish too. It's highly resilient and non toxic, so ok for jobs around the kitchen. Tung oil is sometimes referred to as China wood oil but it's the same thing ~ both are pressed from the tung nut.
George Arnold16/05/2008 21:29:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

You don't have to worry to much as nothing touches the stopper it will be used on part empty bottles so unless they are laid  down nothing touches the contents. I prefer to use the Optic  corks in Synthetic rubber you can get them in black or white, I have got them from Peter Child on www.peterchild.co.uk I see they only have black at the moment I was going to see if the local firm that supplies bar equipment done them any cheaper, enjoy your wood turning.

George

Dave Atkinson20/05/2008 11:31:00
672 forum posts
115 photos

The first thing I ever made - a set of skittles for the kids was made from the legs of an old bar table I "rescued" from a skip.  I think it's great making things form recycled materials , especialy when you're just starting.

It saves making expensive firewood, and Ive made/make loads of that).  When I make bottle stoppers I glue some dowel into the blank (to reduce wastage of good wood) and use the rubber stoppers like George.  Then I just finish the top in whatever I have to hand. 

Like Rob I don't have much call for stoppers though - it always seem to evporate somewhere!!

Cheers Dave

T.allan Jones20/05/2008 14:53:00
82 forum posts
8 photos

Hi  Dave

yes I've got some super sawdust and I've discovered that it's good for drying out green wood thats been reduced to nearly the object of your desire. I've also, like you, decided to use dowels for the bottle stoppers to save on wood and save some of the guess work on the size of the dowel inorder to fit the cork more effectively. Thanks everybody for the comments and good luck to you all in your endeavours

T.allan Jones05/05/2008 22:11:00
82 forum posts
8 photos

I've just completed these few stoppers/dibbers and honey dipper. and have thoroughly enjoyed this new experience. As a raw beginner I have made some faults. I made these items from an old bar stool with four legs. I haven't decided on the finish either stain or varnish but i have used some beeswax on a few. The sawdust seems to give them a nice shiny finish which shows the wood off.
Ralph Harvey05/05/2008 23:34:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Its a great idea to reuse an old bar stool, and they look great. as to the finish i would steer clear of stain as it is likely to leech into what ever the stopper is in,

Try sanding sealer whilst turning apply with a rag then cut back with 0000 wire wool, followed by a wax stick from liberon, or mix your own with some of the beeswax.

What have you got planned for the top of the stool, look forward to seeing it in the future

Ralph

Rob Johnson14/05/2008 02:28:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

A nice variety. For contact with food or drink I would suggest Olive oil as a finish or pure beeswax. Some waxes contain additives that will taint or worse. There are some other finishes for items to be in contact with foodstuffs but not having used them cannot comment on the usability of them.

Have always fancied a set of Chess piece stoppers..... but the wine never lasts long enough ( evaporation, I call it  )

Rob

Woodworker14/05/2008 11:47:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Tung oil would be an ideal finish too. It's highly resilient and non toxic, so ok for jobs around the kitchen. Tung oil is sometimes referred to as China wood oil but it's the same thing ~ both are pressed from the tung nut.
George Arnold16/05/2008 21:29:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

You don't have to worry to much as nothing touches the stopper it will be used on part empty bottles so unless they are laid  down nothing touches the contents. I prefer to use the Optic  corks in Synthetic rubber you can get them in black or white, I have got them from Peter Child on www.peterchild.co.uk I see they only have black at the moment I was going to see if the local firm that supplies bar equipment done them any cheaper, enjoy your wood turning.

George

Dave Atkinson20/05/2008 11:31:00
672 forum posts
115 photos

The first thing I ever made - a set of skittles for the kids was made from the legs of an old bar table I "rescued" from a skip.  I think it's great making things form recycled materials , especialy when you're just starting.

It saves making expensive firewood, and Ive made/make loads of that).  When I make bottle stoppers I glue some dowel into the blank (to reduce wastage of good wood) and use the rubber stoppers like George.  Then I just finish the top in whatever I have to hand. 

Like Rob I don't have much call for stoppers though - it always seem to evporate somewhere!!

Cheers Dave

T.allan Jones20/05/2008 14:53:00
82 forum posts
8 photos

Hi  Dave

yes I've got some super sawdust and I've discovered that it's good for drying out green wood thats been reduced to nearly the object of your desire. I've also, like you, decided to use dowels for the bottle stoppers to save on wood and save some of the guess work on the size of the dowel inorder to fit the cork more effectively. Thanks everybody for the comments and good luck to you all in your endeavours

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact