By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

how to start up? what machines recomended

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

paul wetherell19/06/2009 11:30:59
1 forum posts
alright you lot, iv been in and out of carpentry a number of years out of my apprentiship. now i have a garage or workshop as i like to call it (or second home) im really spending all my time in it and love having the bug of addiction.
in many ways still learning but feel convident! basiclyi want to set up...im not to good on the £££ front but my girl will help! sooo
how do i get started? where do i get £££ + who from in this climate! and what machinery.??? its all so fantasticly expensive...house size garage... i need it all planner thicknesser, table/pannel saw, mortiser, routertable/or spinndel????ahahgh ideas and advice on buisness set up cheers waspy

handy mandy19/06/2009 11:47:06
62 forum posts
36 photos
i only have a small sellection of tools but some of them are from my local ad-mag paper,you can usually save a few quid doing it that way.and because you have to go to there house to fetch them ,you can see them in working order.hope this helps you save ££££.mandy 
Big Al19/06/2009 19:24:16
1604 forum posts
73 photos
It really depends on what you already have, what you intend to make, where you live, are you willing/able to travel for your purchase's, budget and finally are you looking at buying new, second hand or a mixture of both. 

You mention business set up, what sort of thing have you got in mind?

Ebay is a good place to start for second hand machinery, before looking at new stuff on ebay research the machinery and see if it is a good deal or not. Quite often I have come across new machinery, and other items such as glue on ebay only to discover that it is cheaper from a dealer, such as axminster or D&M tools.

Al 
Olly Parry-Jones19/06/2009 22:12:27
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I agree with Al's point in that it really all depends on what you want to do.

For example. if you're looking to make furniture then you could make your own router table from 18mm MDF as opposed to investing in a spindle moulder, which would be better-suited to larger scaled joinery work. If space is restricted then, most of your table saw work could be done with a combination of bandsaw and sliding mitre saw/radial arm saw.

Planer/thicknessers or separate planers and thicknessers (ideally; if you have the space!) are essential, in my opinion. You'll save money instead of paying for PAR all the time and you'll have so much more 'control' over the timber you buy and what you choose to do with it.

You'll generally find that a lot of the older second-hand gear available on sites like eBay will be better built than the cheap Chinese imports you can buy new today.
Joe O 320/06/2009 01:33:42
203 forum posts
Paul,
Firstly welcome to the forum. What you need to buy depends on your budget and what area of woodworking you are interested in. Then fill in your member profile because then members who might be familiar with your area  could advise you on what to buy and where to get what you are after.
Joe. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact