By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router table

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Blondy_UK09/06/2009 08:30:48
39 forum posts
10 photos
hi, i've be looking at building a router table for some time now, the one i have decided on requires 2 pieces of 18mm MDF or 18mm ply laminated together then covered either side with melamine or formica to protect the surface. does anyone have any ideas where this can be obtained or have any other ideas of covering the table top? 

I tend to do plenty of research before starting a project so i am in no hurry but i like to know where i can get what i need and to try and work out any problems i might have before i comit. 
Thanks Paul.
Olly Parry-Jones09/06/2009 08:59:04
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Paul,

If you're anywhere near Bristol, I could recommend a supplier where I bought a sheet of White Formica (10'x4') for only £30. They don't deliver outside the city though.

Apparently, Formica sheets can also be ordered through your local builders merchant... I think someone suggested Jewsons, recently.

Another source you may wan to try, as I assume you're only after a relatively small amount to cover the top, would be local kitchen fitters and shop fitters - they'll often have offcuts that would otherwise end up in the skip.
Sparky09/06/2009 17:21:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Olly
This is what happens when members don't fill in their profiles, no one can give local information to help them out.............Lets hope they do, so we can

Marc
George Arnold09/06/2009 19:18:22
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Paul
Why don't you use kitchin work top? that's all ready covered. just a thought
George
Blondy_UK09/06/2009 19:41:59
39 forum posts
10 photos
Thanks for the replies, my details are filled in with my location but i cant see anything in the profile page that asks for town, only country. i will look again at my details/ profile and see where I'm going wrong.

I have thought about kitchen worktop but the bottom of them is not covered with the same material and i have read that both top and bottom needs to be covered so the table stays flat and stable. But if worktop is acceptable then i will use that, it would save gluing to pieces of 18mm together then having to cover it.
thanks again Paul
George Arnold09/06/2009 19:53:32
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Paul
 That is correct with formica, but you do not use the same formica on both sides, you use a ballance sheet this is like formica without the finish, and it is cheaper. if you used a work top and are  worried about the problem of movement, you only need to cover the under side , you should get a short piece of top ,
 from a kichin fitter enough for your table.
George
Alan T.09/06/2009 20:01:14
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Paul,
                     Forgive my ignorance but why does it need to be covered both sides.  Alan T.

Blondy_UK09/06/2009 20:01:38
39 forum posts
10 photos
Thanks George, if using kitchen top would the bottom need to be covered, and if so what would you recommend?
Blondy_UK09/06/2009 20:08:19
39 forum posts
10 photos
Sorry Alan your post appeared after i posted mine, (not too fast at typing me). Worktop that i have used looks as though it has some sort of brown paper on the bottom, maybe i am wrong but if i can use worktop without it warping over time then that would be an ideal solution for me.
Paul.
Oddjob09/06/2009 20:51:12
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I think that the covering you see on the underside of worktop material provides all the 'balance' needed.  Otherwise worktops would warp in use - they are designed to be used in damp conditions.

Richard
Blondy_UK10/06/2009 07:46:26
39 forum posts
10 photos
That's settled then, worktop it is. i'll be on the lookout for some offcuts, they have them in the local B&Q sometimes.
Thanks Oddjob.
Delete02/08/2009 19:00:18
575 forum posts
The solution I used for my Router Table was to get some White Melamine Board from one of the DIY sheds. it was about 12 to 15 mm thick.  Using a Hand Electric Plane I cut the Melaming off one side then cut the sheet in two to give me two pieces of the size I required. I then glued the two raw sides together this gave me a sheet of Malamine board about 25 mm thick. I then glued an Oak edge to the board. This was similar to the one Made by Norm in his Routed table project some years ago .
The good thing about the Melamine is is is very smooth so the work slides easily over it. It will also take a pencil mark which can then be washed off.
Olly Parry-Jones03/08/2009 08:49:46
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Freecycle can also be a good source of kitchen worktop and general sheet material offcuts, at no cost, as long as you get there first!
Blondy_UK14/09/2009 08:04:45
39 forum posts
10 photos
Still havn't made my router table, as i have no table insert yet i thought of getting this Dakota Table http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/routing/router-tables/DK2009/deluxe-full-size-router-table

Any thoughts or advice on these tables.
Thanks for looking, Paul
John Kinch14/09/2009 11:00:48
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi Blondy, I bought a DK2009 from Rutlands earlier this year. It's excellent. I fitted shelving below for additional storage space. If you do buy it, you'll need to router a strip off the table top each side before you fix the two rules to the top or the rules will not be flush to the work top and cause problems when trying to slide long lengths acroo the table. The dust extracion is good and using a hoover type vac in the router itself at the same time you will have very little dust.
     Remember the featherboards shown in the picture do not come with it and are a bit pricey to buy. Best to make your own.

John Kinch.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact