By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Simon Forrest's gallery of fine craftmanship

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky01/06/2009 19:50:32
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I've just had the pleasure of browsing Simon Forrest's albums and I find myself in awe of his work.
Even though he is a professional its gratifying that he has taken the time to upload his images.

For your perusal >> His albums <<

Very nice work Simon and thankyou for your gallery of inspiration.

Marc

Edited By sparky on 01/06/2009 19:51:29

Simon Forrest01/06/2009 20:14:42
16 forum posts
29 photos
 Thanks for those kind words, it is nice to have ones work appreciated, and who better to truly appreciate it than fellow woodworkers. I shall load more projects as they occur, but am just in the process of moving house so may be a bit quiet in the cabinet dept. but quite busy in the joinery shop....new workshop...french doors....decking....window frames.. the full monty!

Edited By Simon Forrest on 01/06/2009 20:20:05

Sparky01/06/2009 20:33:12
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Simon

Welcome to this site's forum.

My pleasure mate, you have some very fine work.

Sounds like your going to be having a lot of fun in the coming weeks/months!

I look forward to seeing the next instalments!

Again, well done
Marc

PS, Thanks very much. Of course you can make that chest of drawers, I'd like to see how long it takes you with the acquired machinery..........I bet you beat my 279 odd hours!
Joe O 301/06/2009 20:57:52
203 forum posts
Hi Simon,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with everything Sparky said.  some very fine pieces. Well done and keep up the good work.
Joe.
Doug01/06/2009 21:19:18
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi & welcome Simon.

Your albums show some fine workmanship, well done.

I look forward to seeing more of your projects in time.

Cheers.

Baz 
Toothy01/06/2009 21:26:41
458 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Simon and welcome to our forum

I love your work and look foeward to seeing more in the future

Toothy
Alan T.02/06/2009 08:08:40
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello & welcome Simon,
                                              Can I echo all that has been said. Good design and execution
of same. Question? Are the fluted pillars produced on a CNC lathe  or with a router.
 Lok forward to seeing more of your work.    Cheers   Alan  T.
Simon Forrest02/06/2009 10:13:26
16 forum posts
29 photos
Once again, thanks for all your kind words!.......in response to your question alan, the pillars I made on my record (CL5?) lathe (both the bed and the desk). Only the tops and bottoms were cut in the usual manner (with a shew chisel) and the main body of each pillar was cut using the router on a guide box while the wood is still in the lathe, this way, each one is identical to another, care is needed though as the router method tends to be a bit rough in finish, but it is quick and accurate, much sanding is required afterwards. The flutes are then cut in the same set up with the addition of an indexing chuck and a small round nosed cutter in the router, this is where it can all easily go wrong! for the bed head and foot pillars I had several that didnt come up to scratch, the answer of course is to make plenty of spare ones just in case! It has to be said that this part of the work was very labour intensive and I was really glad to have finished them all, but as u can see all the effort was well worth it in the end.
P J03/06/2009 14:06:12
889 forum posts
103 photos
Hi Simon, Yes welcome to the forum.
 Your work is truly professional (love the 4 Poster Bed). It good when you can make a career out of something you obviously enjoy. The rest of us do it for an enjoy able hobby.
I don't think I could stand the preasher of Biulding something on time and within a cost that people are prepard to pay. Looks like you've cracked it !
P J
Derek Lane03/06/2009 17:50:43
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
As already said welcome to the forum. Excellent work in your album
Oddjob03/06/2009 18:59:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Welcome Simon

I would like to add  my thanks for the privelege of viewing your album - some beautiful craftsmanship there.

Richard
George Arnold03/06/2009 20:39:12
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sorry Guys
I did not realise this thread was running when I posted about Simons four poster, or I would have added my congratulation here, it is truly a portrait of a real craftsman.
George
Simon Forrest03/06/2009 21:08:40
16 forum posts
29 photos
Once again, many thanks chaps for your kind appreciation............in answer to PJs posting, you got to bear in mind that the vast majority of my work is general joinery, the really nice stuff is mostly for me and I make it over long periods of time inbetween my bread and butter stuff, to be honest, I dont think  Id be up to really fine work all the time!
P J04/06/2009 02:17:08
889 forum posts
103 photos
To do this kind of work out of your garden shed well I'm Impressed !
So the question is how big is it ? Your Garden Shed that is. And do you run you business out of it as well ?
P J
Simon Forrest04/06/2009 10:18:44
16 forum posts
29 photos
Hi PJ,  my garden workshop is 16x12 and purpose built for the job, its made from double skinned OSB with fearther edge cladding. It is a bit small for my purposes but i have learned (as u all will have!) that kepping it tidy and generally well laid out is the key, plus, my main machines are all on wheels (bench saw, bandsaw and thicknesser) so they can all be moved out of the way when done with. Next week, im moving to a new house and there I am planning to build another wooden workshop, this time it will be 20x16 plus an extra bit tacked onto the side to soley house the planer thicknesser and my lathe. I shall load some photos of my current workshop and photos of the new one as it comes into being......cant wait!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact