By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chisels V. Health & Safety

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug15/05/2008 21:51:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I`ve been to fetch some steel today, a huge 40'high gantry was being dissasembled. I asked where my steel was & was shown, i was then told i`d have to wear a hard hat.

Now bearing in mind the crane was removing the top most 32' x 16" x 6" rsj`s i asked H&S guy if he could tell me exactly what good the hard hat would do if the rsj dropped from 40'.

He still hadn`t got an answer by the time i left, fully loaded. Its still making me smile 6 hours later.

Scrit23/05/2008 20:35:00
16 forum posts

Baz

It's obvious to me that you're completely unaware that hard hats are made from the worlds strongest material, even the carbon fibre monocoques taht F1 racing teams can't hold a candle to it. Were the Empire State building were to fall on the hard hat it would survive. Amazing, but true. Unfortunately you'd still be flattened...........

Scrit

Olly Parry-Jones24/05/2008 14:10:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Yeah, I think they put one inside a caravan on Braniac once, blew the 'van up and the hardhat was one of the few things which survived in tact!
derek willis24/05/2008 14:31:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Johnstone's Safety is near here, and when we built their new ware house some years ago, I became quite familiar with the management, and witnessed some of the stringent tests on the safety helmets they wre moulding, hard to believe what they did to them and they still stood up.

Derek. 

Bob22/04/2008 17:12:00
85 forum posts

Having decided to go to night school to learn to do some joints properly, I was told that you shouldn't use the palm of your hand, as a half way stage between hand paring and a mallet; apparently this can cause a 'pulse' of blood to your heart and can cause a heart attack.

This is the first I have heard of this, is this right?

David J22/04/2008 17:52:00
28 forum posts

Gosh, I've never heard that one before.

Woodworker22/04/2008 17:59:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Blimey, things have changed since I was at college! Never heard anything along those lines Bob.
Rob Johnson22/04/2008 18:17:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Heart attack! No! But it can cause a lot of pain, to the base of your thumb.

In 25+ years in the trade have  never seen someone drop down with a H/A by giving the chisel a little extra umph. However I have had a very sore palm that lasted several days!

So it is best to use a mallet or hammer or monkey wrench in preference to your hand, as tempting as it may be, when said mallet is 1/4 mile away in boot of car due to rubbish parking rules in LONDON,(Grrrrrr).

(alternatively use the hand of someone you really don't like and hope for the worst )

wood magnet22/04/2008 18:58:00
69 forum posts
5 photos
Sounds like a load of rubbish to me Bob, or is that why parents/teachers/coppers cant give kids a slap nowadays, in case it causes a blood clot to the heart.
Big Al22/04/2008 21:07:00
1599 forum posts
73 photos
The lunatics have taken over the asylum!
Andy King22/04/2008 21:13:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Sounds to me like the only clots here are the jobsworths who get paid to come up with these ridiculous notions!

What about other situations where your hands strike things? Olga Korbut would have conked out halfway through her first routine in the olympics!

cheers,

andy

Mike Garnham22/04/2008 21:31:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

.....and a cricket ball hitting my hands at 80 or 90 MPH about 300 times a day for twenty years surely would have been a bit worse than helping a chisel along a bit! I've never heard such tosh......

Mike 

Andy King22/04/2008 21:49:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

You're lucky to be alive Mike!!!

cheers,

Andy

OldHand23/04/2008 09:09:00
11 forum posts

A few months ago, rec.woodworking carried a report from a tradesman carver who has suffered severe damage to his hand from a lifetime's use (I think) of the base of his thumb to strike the gouge handle.

I guess that using the palm could do even more damage, and be quite painful.

Olly Parry-Jones23/04/2008 13:53:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I'm guilty of doing this quite often, although my hear is still beating at a regular rate.

Did anyone see the Ben Huggins series when they used to show it on Discovery Real Time on Sky? I remember he used to an offcut of oak as a mallet!

I'd say it's much worse to use a hammer (not the side of the head) where you'll either splt the chisel handle or miss and really hurt yourself!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact