By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chisels V. Health & Safety

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delete24/04/2008 23:49:00
575 forum posts

Most of these Acidents are realy Negligence so should be re named.

I did a stupid trick this week I was safety testing a Shredder which failed so I cut the plug off so it could not be used. Woops I cut the plug off the tester by mistake. What a stupid Boy.

As a youngster I and some friends used to play in the local woods. We climbed the trees and the disused Quarry cliff faces. Today I expect they are fenced off  What harm did it do. I now suffer from a serious problem, I have a head for heights. Before my hip gave out I could climb a Yachts mast un aided. In fact even with a duff hip I can still do it but very much slower.

A tile came loose on our roof last week So I had little choice but to walk up the roof with a bucket of Mortar and fix it.

The next thing we will hear is the Parachute Regiment will be banned from using Parachutes because they can fail. What a cockeyed world we live in.  People are scared of their shadows. Kids rule the streets and the Teachers are unable to control their charges.  Now they want more money.  What can we do?

Paul Finlay25/04/2008 00:23:00
285 forum posts

Robbie

I would imagine an air nailer would be more powerful because Senco make nails for their guns that can shoot in to concrete like a hilti gun. Altough there are gas guns that will do the same but only up to about 40mm nail where as the Senco's go up to 90mm + I think.

Delete25/04/2008 07:59:00
575 forum posts

Having heard all these horror stories I think I had better put some guards on my nailers. From what has been sait a block of soft wood 150mm thich in frint of the gun should absorb any discharge.and a metal plate over the trigger will stop fingers from getting to the trigger.

Oh I might be easier to cut the Hose and remove the plug from the compressor.

I have found Hammers more dangerous than a gun. I have HURT my fingers with a Hammer. With good training with Bullet guns I carry over the same safety principals so far no incidents. Yes I have had Jamms etc. But it is easy to clear and repair if the tool is disconnected and the magazine cleared. You then have to deal with the one up the spout.

Woodchip25/04/2008 09:46:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Roger,

I suppose we could issue the police with nail-guns.

On the other hand we can let things go on as they are, with our usual apathy.

Personally, I prefer my old-fashioned claw hammer and range of cross-peins any day. Thanks to the nail-gun, a lot of good timber goes to waste  in pallets, because the nails they use are 'ridged' and near impossible to get out by prying. So no more nice lengths of useable timber, 'like wot I med my gardin fence of!'

John

Derek Lane25/04/2008 10:54:00
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
Woodchip wrote (see

Personally, I prefer my old-fashioned claw hammer and range of cross-peins any day. Thanks to the nail-gun, a lot of good timber goes to waste  in pallets, because the nails they use are 'ridged' and near impossible to get out by prying. So no more nice lengths of useable timber, 'like wot I med my gardin fence of!'

John

Woodchip

you can't blame the nail gun for this because you can get ring shanked nail that you use a hammer on it's the nails that are used not the tools

as for the majority of accidents it's the operator as i believe was mentioned earlier many a time i have been to a site to repair machines and been told that you can not look at it until tea break the tied this or that to keep it going to which i looked at the machine and stopped it from being used at the annoyance of the men in charge because i stopped work 

Woodchip25/04/2008 11:22:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

As I said, it's the nails they use. It's impossible to pull them out with a claw, or a  pry bar jaw. Doesn't matter how they put them in I suppose. They are Begrs to remove.

But I think they use nail-guns now for their speed. Maybe there should be a proper training course for nail-guns, just as they eventually bought in one for fork-lift trucks, after a death or two, or three! 

John

Derek Lane25/04/2008 12:46:00
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
i think you are right Woodchip someone mentioned (i think it was Paul Finley) hilti guns to use these you have to have a certificate whats the difference between that and wood nail guns
Delete25/04/2008 17:04:00
575 forum posts

Derek

I think you will find the main difference is an explosive cartridge similar to a bullet or blank.

Rob Johnson25/04/2008 18:23:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

When a machinist ran his thumb through the spindle moulder, leaving a 10mm groove through it, the woman from HSE asked me who was going to operate the machine to finish the job. Me, I replied. Are you a machinist she asked , to which I replied no, I am a carpenter and joiner.

You can't operate the machine then,she said.

Oh yes I can, because I was taught my trade before the training was dumbed down to improve results and part of my training was the use of machines! So go away and let me do my job and pay the taxes that pay you your wages.

As has been said it is down to common sense, don't take silly risks, extra legislation only causes greater cost to us and that is passed on to the customer, eventually! It increases our tax burden to pay wages to the holier than thou egocentrics and lays blame on companies for the laziness or stupidity of staff!

In the above  case the machinist had all guards and power feed available and was under no pressure to finish the job to a time, just too lazy to implement them.

Have I said before I have no time for the HSE?

Delete25/04/2008 18:56:00
575 forum posts

Rob

You are very corect in what you say. However it is a pity the Legislation has been brought on us because of a few bad employers.

I worked for a company for a short while about 10 years ago. After a few days with the company I informed the MD that there were some issues with equiptment.  For example the mains socket fitted to the wall behind where I sat was hanging off the wall exposing bare connections. This was something I considered Dangerous. So I let my Boss Know. His words were "Well if you dont like it you know what to do" I had already seen his unreasonable attitude so chose not to fix it myself ( I was of course not qualified to Play with the building wiring).

I did know what to do and had a word with HSE. who snaged the firm on 15 major items. The Compressor had not been tested in living memory. Dangerous wiring The list just went on and on.

He was lucky not to be closed down. He lied that all had been sorted and they did not come back.

It is empolyers like thatwhich have brought the HS legislation on us all. It is a pain totally over the Top. But because most employees will not rock the boat and upset the boss by telling him when things are wrong in case they dont get a pay rise. We only have ourselves to blame. So although I sympathise I find no alternatinve but to agree (reluctantly) with the Law.

Olly Parry-Jones25/04/2008 19:26:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I've always been told at college to keep both hands behind the cutting edge when using hand tools and never to walk around carrying a drill with your finger on the trigger. Sometime, accidents are just that - when you cannot forsee or prevent them (as I discovered yesterday, by taking a slice in to my left finger straight after sharpening my plane blade! )

HSE's a very boring subject, along with many other things. I also agree that the large majority of injuries are caused by total negligence of the operator. The reponsibility of any company is only to supply you with the neccessary PPE and guarding, etc. It is down to the individual operator to actually wear and use it. "Only you are responsible for your Health and Safety", is another one that sticks in my mind.

Wasn't there someone in the news a few months ago who deliberately shot himself in the torso with a Paslode gun so he could claim compensation??

Robbie26/04/2008 08:08:00
129 forum posts
34 photos
I was always told simply - Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your willie! It's worked for me so far!  - Touch wood.
Paul Finlay26/04/2008 12:33:00
285 forum posts
Rob Johnson29/04/2008 18:30:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Health and Safety is not a boring subject OPJ it is just the "Executive" morons with loads of power and no proper understanding of how a job is done, safely or otherwise, that try to impose the same rule to every trade that make seem so. At the rate they are going we will all be black market... shuffle up to a bloke in a pub and say " do you want a door, very good one will keep the HSE out or the burglar, will do you a deal ... no come on you know you do, cant buy 'em legit now you know not even for a grand! That's more like it , here you aint HSE are you? No! Great I make them in me cellar..yeah sound proofed it is."

Now a prediction. When they get bored because we no longer make anything in this country commercially they will justify their jobs by visiting DIY or enthusiastic wood/metal/glass/stone or needle pointists garden workshops and say "Oooh you can't do it like that the tool/needle is too sharp"

There are times we were allowed to use expletives as I attribute all of them to that government body that has no common sense.

Mike Garnham30/04/2008 08:01:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Rob,

whilst I share most of your views on the HSE, I would just point out that the chances of them ever turning their attention to DIY-type activities is fairly slender, because that would require a change in the law. At the moment, the base legislation only covers workplaces. In other words, if you don't employ anyone, the HSE has no jurisdiction.

A gang of roofers I know were required to change their footwear to solid-soled boots with steel toe-caps......now they struggle to climb around on rafters and battens, and have doubled their accident rate. Rules.....!

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact