By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chisels V. Health & Safety

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scrit14/05/2008 21:26:00
16 forum posts
Well, I found a wonderful video on H&S on the workplace here. Enjoy!
Delete15/05/2008 01:15:00
575 forum posts
Well if they managed that without trying what could they have managed if they were to try.
derek willis15/05/2008 14:30:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

If they had had some health and safety rules in place in 1954 I would not have been subject to a fall from 5 floors up when I put somthing on a platform hoist and the twit at the bottom pulled the start rope at the same time, I followed, to land flat on my back at ground level, thus killing the growth of disc material in discs 1to5, not good!

A subby J.C.B. Driver I had beckoned a mixer truck in, slipped over in the mud and the truck ran over him, Dead. 

Derek.

p.s. fortunately I was never subject to the stringent stupidity of today, it was bad enough twenty years ago.

Rob Johnson15/05/2008 19:49:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Hey Scrit , if common sense was about in that warehouse we would not have the pleasure of the over the top but funny film. ( for non german speakers, it was a very tongue in cheek story of the hapless, newly qualified forklift driver, who obviously had not been taught some very basic rules!)

Several years ago my best mate was refurbishing a hotel after a fire, 1st day on site the HSE rep pitched up to look around. Wanted to know what was in an area several floors up and was told not to go there. His attitude of I'm HSE and will go where I want ultimately lead to a 3 storey fall and a ride in a big white box with blue lights. Steel toe capped boots and a hard hat were no softener to that rapid descent and the clipboard was a poor parachute. 

Doug15/05/2008 21:51:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I`ve been to fetch some steel today, a huge 40'high gantry was being dissasembled. I asked where my steel was & was shown, i was then told i`d have to wear a hard hat.

Now bearing in mind the crane was removing the top most 32' x 16" x 6" rsj`s i asked H&S guy if he could tell me exactly what good the hard hat would do if the rsj dropped from 40'.

He still hadn`t got an answer by the time i left, fully loaded. Its still making me smile 6 hours later.

Scrit23/05/2008 20:35:00
16 forum posts

Baz

It's obvious to me that you're completely unaware that hard hats are made from the worlds strongest material, even the carbon fibre monocoques taht F1 racing teams can't hold a candle to it. Were the Empire State building were to fall on the hard hat it would survive. Amazing, but true. Unfortunately you'd still be flattened...........

Scrit

Olly Parry-Jones24/05/2008 14:10:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Yeah, I think they put one inside a caravan on Braniac once, blew the 'van up and the hardhat was one of the few things which survived in tact!
derek willis24/05/2008 14:31:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Johnstone's Safety is near here, and when we built their new ware house some years ago, I became quite familiar with the management, and witnessed some of the stringent tests on the safety helmets they wre moulding, hard to believe what they did to them and they still stood up.

Derek. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact