By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cleaning sap off a saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mickthetree19/04/2008 19:27:00
146 forum posts
46 photos

Hi all

I recently picked up a Tenon saw from the big orange and black monster that is B&Q. Didnt have time to order anything decent and grabbed a £7 Magnusson saw off the shelf.

After spending nearly an hour trying to clean off the sticker that had been superglued to the side, I managed to use it to cut some tenons for table rails in some pine.

One of the bits I cut went right through a large knot and covered the blade in a sticky
mass of resin.

I tried to clean it at the time but struggled so left it thinking I could chip it off after, but it is now set like concrete and wont come off. I have tried white spirit, wire wool, even a chisel! but to no avail.

The blade looks like its got some sort of laminate / coating on it. not sure that makes any difference.

Point is, the blade wont go through anything at the minute. Just jams up. Anything I can do to get it clean and usable again? Its not the greatest saw in the world, but seems a shame to bin it and I guess it could happen to any saw I bought? so maybe a useful thing to know for the future.

Paul 

Doug19/04/2008 19:36:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Paul,

White spirit usually cleans off sap, have you tried soaking the blade in it for a while.

If that wont, an old decorator once told me diesel was good at cleaning things up. It was just a matter of soaking for long enough. He claimed it would get dried paint off a brush if soaked for a few days, what you would use the brush for afterwards i was to shy to ask.

Baz

Mike Garnham19/04/2008 20:01:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

If diesel doesn't work, try brake fluid. Don't get it on your skin, or anything else......but it should do the trick.

Mike 

derek willis20/04/2008 08:56:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I have a round tray that I have used often in the past to lay circular saw blades in to soak to clean off and I always used white spirit, give it time.

derek. 

Rob Johnson20/04/2008 14:48:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Acetone.

Sometimes sold as nail varnish remover, a little goes a long way. We used it for cleaning the rollers when making a fibre glass barge ( and our hands but that is not a thing one should really do).

derek willis20/04/2008 14:54:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Rob,

likewise, cellulose thinners, my favouite and never very far away, but one should not reccommend it in these days of 'elf & safety.

derek. 

Rob Johnson20/04/2008 15:54:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

When they apply H+S to our lads and lasses overseas I might just toe the line!

Most things are a case of common sense, do not take un -necessary risks ( ie don't drink acetone as your liver will go to heaven followed very soon by the rest of you, don't shoot at Iraqi's unless you were given a bullet proof vest by the gov')

I like to use the old whitehill blocks that you grind up your own cutters for, for pennies, now we have to buy expensive blocks and then spend between 60 and 120 quid for a set of cutters.

Lord knows what they would have said if they walked in on me running 1800mm lengths of 10x32 brass through the panel saw last week to reduce the size to 10x28mm.

Still have my fingers,eyes and wits about me and the blade is still cutting up oak very nicely.

Sorry Derek but those eejits @ H+S get my goat every time.

derek willis20/04/2008 16:02:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Rob,

I say thankyou that I no longer am dominated by these rules, and that they wre not as prevelant when I was working full timeas they seem to be now.  

Derek.

Mind you if they had some rules back in 1952, I would not have come five floors down a platform hoist and received a back injury that has been with me for fifty years, no record book, no compensation, nothing. 

Bob22/04/2008 17:19:00
85 forum posts

Mickthetree,

I've always found that Swarfega works with resin, you might find a few minutes wait and a nailbrush makes things easier.

Bob.

mickthetree22/04/2008 17:28:00
146 forum posts
46 photos

Hi again all. Thanks for the suggestions. I soaked it in white spirit over night then used some fine sandpaper to polish it up a bit.

This is only a cheap saw, but I dont see why it should fail so soon after purchase.

It still seems to jam up a little, so I tried some wax. Little improvement, but still jams. It was fine when I got it.

I'm not so bothered, but I'm hoping to invest some money in a descent tenon saw and I'm sure I'd be a little miffed if the same happened.

As I mentioned earlier, this cheap saw did seem to have some sort of coating on it when new. Like a fine varnish or lacquer. I wonder if that was to aid movement and prevent it sticking.

Anyhow, I now have a new technique to add to my notebook. White spirit for sap.

Thaks again everyone

Andy King22/04/2008 21:47:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Paul,

One thing to maybe check is that the blade doesn't have a slight kink after it got jammed in the cut.

The back is meant to help prevent it, but  it can happen. If it's kinked, it's unlikley worth the bother, but if its got a wave or slight buckle, you can get it out by turning the saw over, holding the handle and lightly tapping the back on the bench or a block of wood. It should hopefullt rreseat the blade deeper into the back and straighten any slight bends or buckles.

i've done it many times on old saws with folded backs, but the new trend of solid backs with a slit relying on adhesive as used by Lie Nielsen, adria etc doesn't give you much chance of any adjustments if the blade does move a little.

The theory is, I suppose, that the accuracy of the initial slit should kep the blade straight, but a jolt through the blade could still cause them to move.

Incidntally, as you thought, the coating on the blade is usually a light lacquer to keep rust at bay while in storage or on display.

hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andy

Bob24/04/2008 16:36:00
85 forum posts

Paul,

If the saw doesn't have a kink in it, you could try to open out the set with pliers adjusted a notch or two wider.

Bob

derek willis24/04/2008 16:43:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Or you could borrow my saw setting tool.

derek.

Bob25/04/2008 17:56:00
85 forum posts

Derek,

That's what I meant!

Bob.

derek willis25/04/2008 18:19:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sure Bob, but pliers are not a saw set.

derek. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact