By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What magazines do you read.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek willis21/04/2008 12:07:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Andy,

I was impressed at how friendly Ben was at the Ally Pally show, (could have been because of the glass in his hand tho') I tried to get near you and your co-conspiritor Dave, but so did everyone else so gave up, anyway you put on a great ahow demonstrating.

derek. 

O.J24/04/2008 16:36:00
10 forum posts

I think you're right Goodwoodworking has slipped in the last year or so, i used to get it regularly my brother subscribed for years and passed on the copies for me to look at ( nowt wrong with recycling) ;>

I found that Goodwoodworking lacked new ideas and what they do have has  definately gone stagnant over the passed few months.  I subscribed to Woodworking plans and Project when they offered the Faithful planer set foc and buy the woodworker on and off depending if i'm having a good month. I like both; woodworking Plans has new and intresting projects and you get free  plans in every issue  (always a bonus). The Woodworker on the other hand is like a trusty old friend you always know what you are going to get, which i quite like... 

Has anyone ever won anything from the competitions they run, i am always tempted but never feel lucky, Is it worth a go? 

derek willis24/04/2008 16:47:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

OJ Definately worth a go, I've got a Bosch router, £300:00 worth of cutters, finishing products, and many tools, all from magazines.

My subscription has just come in for me to renew to Good Wood but I'm not going to after twelve years.

Derek. 

Ralph Harvey24/04/2008 22:26:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Many years ago i used to write articles for both Practical Woodworking and there Woodturning magazine. Got a great sence of pleasure from being able to pass on ideas to other turners but the one main thing i missed was the ability to explain in more detail as necessary, how to overcome problems or explain what is meant ?

The only way this could be done then was to demonstrate and answer the questions, but this was to a limited audience.

This site is the ideal solution to all these problems if you dont understand you can ask, if it dosn't make sense someone is there to help. !

Brilliant job keep it up.!!

O.J25/04/2008 11:57:00
10 forum posts

Bosch Router sounds like a good prize maybe i will give em a go, i guess if i can enter online i am not even wasting the cost of a stamp !!!

Why are you not going to renew after 12yrs of Goodwooodworking, are you a Woodworking Plans and Projects convertee? ;>  

derek willis25/04/2008 12:09:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

OJ, I also take The Woodworker, and British Woodworking, I don't think Good Wood is the one for me at the moment, it has changed so much, that is all, I forgot, last year i had an 18volt combi drill as well.

derek. 

Delete27/04/2008 11:11:00
575 forum posts

OJ

Jou have to enter to be in with a chance of winning. So I very seldom enter and guess what I am not disapointed, I dont win.

I edit a small motorcycle club magazine a few years ago when we had over 100 members I was able to blag prizex from various companies. However now we only have about 20 members I dont have the cheek to ask. When I did offer prizes I often didn't have a problem with a winner as the enteries were in single figures. In my book a prety poor show.

When people pass a comment that so and so is not what it was etc. you can often trace that coment back to the change of Editor or editorial police dictated from on high!!.

I agree Plans and Projects is a very good publication. The plans are in my view for inspiration rather than pure production. However a great help. Only trouble is I will have to get a new filing cabinet I am geting so many.

Olly Parry-Jones27/04/2008 11:33:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I've won a few things from Good Wood myself in the last three-years; most recently a Veritas bevel-up smoothing plane for my Tip of the Month and then a £25 voucher to spend on more Veritas stuff.

I did win a cheap nailgun from Tacwise, which I never use. After entering a monthly draw to win more stuff from their website, immediately after winning the gun, I won another £1,000-worth of Tacwise gear (most nails). It's all stacked up in the garage somewhere...

I did win a £25 (?) discount voucher for the Joint-Genie after finishing as a runner-up in that competition. They were offering the same discount on their website at the anyway, but I still went ahead and purchased one. Although, in all honesty, I still haven't tried it out yet.

If you don't enter, you don't win! That's what I say.

derek willis01/05/2008 19:40:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Oliver, you're right about that!

Derek. 

derek willis14/04/2008 16:11:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

hello everyone, what magazines do you read, I contribute to, The woodworker, Good Woodworking, British woodwrking, and Computeractive, that is more than enough.

Derek.

Olly Parry-Jones14/04/2008 16:42:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I contribute to both Good Woodworking and British Woodworking and picked up my very first copy of The Woodworker last weekend, which I'm now becoming quite fond of.

I've also been a subsrciber to F&C (Furniture & Cabinet Making), which is supposed to be the best around. I don't know, I seem to be rapidly losing interest in this one... There are some very inspirational pieces in the Readers' Gallery but if I want to catch up on the latest news or (affordable!) product reviews, I can get all that from my other mags.

British Woodworking is probably my favourite of the lot; I've got a lot of time for Nick Gibbs, his work and his ambition. Been subscribing to Good Wood for over three-years now and, although I felt it started to take a slight dip almost a year ago, things are definitely getting better. Don't neccesarily agree with some of the stick Dave Roberts and co. appear to have been getting recently. 

derek willis14/04/2008 17:00:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I fel I must agree with most of wht you've just said, especially Nick, he is being very brave taking this on all on his own, he has become almost a friend over the last few years, and the content of his mag is inspirational in the main, I don't think good wood is quite what it was, and I think that as for our own Ben, he is doing a great job.

derek.

Big Al14/04/2008 17:31:00
1599 forum posts
73 photos
I have at one time or another bought most of the available woodworking magazines. I have in the past subscribed to, F&C, good woodworking and wood carving, but now I dont buy any woodworking magazines. About 2 years ago I found that good woodworking, the woodworker, new woodworking and practical woodworking did not meet my needs. They seemed as if they were woodworking by numbers, in that a project had to have all measurements, moulding and joint details, great for someone that required that type of magazine, but for me, I was looking for inspiration. I then tried furniture and cabinet making, and at first found F&C to be very inspirational, but this soon faltered, and I also found F&C to be too serious and snobbish. When F&C first introduced the readers gallery, I thought it was a good idea, but I have never understood why the editor awarded the tool to the least inspirational piece nearly every month. There is a need for woodworking magazines, but not for me. I get a lot more from this forum and from the gallery on this website than I do from magazines. Please dont think from reading this that I am having a go at woodworking magazines, as I am not. Al
derek willis14/04/2008 18:03:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Al. you do hve apoint though, I very often say to my controller, when my subscription runs out I'm stopping this it's getting boring, but I never seem to, the web site is very inspirational and must be very rewarding to a lot of members.    Derek.

Robbie14/04/2008 18:15:00
129 forum posts
34 photos

Hi

I tried Practical Woodworking but I was beyond that, so I now pick up Fine Woodworking. I have just started subscribing to the F W website at $5 per month I think it's a bargain!

This website is very good, everyone here seems to be really helpfull.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact