By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What magazines do you read.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodchip17/04/2008 09:23:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

I read Lee Child, Michael Connelley, Joseph Wambaugh, Elmore Leonard and Bernard Cornwell's sea stories; the occasional 'Sharpe'. Any good thriller really, but there aren't many about these days..

For non-fiction, anything scientific . (Such as geology,  meteorology and the submarine world, if not too 'professionally' orientated.)

John

derek willis17/04/2008 09:31:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

John,

don't start me on authors, my controller bought me a book record 18 months ago, and i have them all down, I dare not go there.

derek. 

Mike Garnham17/04/2008 09:47:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

New Scientist, BBC Wildlife and the Architects Journal.........

......I have never read a woodworking magazine in my life (even failed to get hold of one last month to find Derek's article on "Weatherwatch")........although my father used to get the "Popular Mechanics" annual from America back in the '60s & early '70s which had a few wood-working projects.

It was in searching for an online version of any of the woodworking magazines that I came across this site, although I now have no recollection as to why I was looking for the magazines anyway!! I guess being self-taught, never having had a conversation with another wood-worker, and never using anyone's plans for anything I make has lots of dangers, but it probably has the advantage of freeing-up designs a bit.

Mike 

Mike Garnham18/04/2008 08:07:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Derek,

any news on your article on finishing?

Mike 

derek willis18/04/2008 08:34:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike,

Ben said a little while back that he would put it in for me, just have to wait and hope.

Derek. 

Olly Parry-Jones18/04/2008 20:39:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
derek willis wrote (see)

I fel I must agree with most of wht you've just said, especially Nick, he is being very brave taking this on all on his own, he has become almost a friend over the last few years, and the content of his mag is inspirational in the main, I don't think good wood is quite what it was, and I think that as for our own Ben, he is doing a great job.

derek.

Going back to Nick again, he comes across as someone's who's modest in what he does; he doesn't like to take all (or too much) of the credit for what he does with the magazine. He's very grateful for any contributions and whenever you read a note saying "contact us for a sample", or similar, it's always him on the other end of that e-mail address, no-one else! It just makes me smile.

It's great, and highly important, I think, for magazines to have a similar kind of relationship/freedom of contact with their readers. Most do... But I read somewhere else recently that F&C don't take to kindly to critisisms from their readers!!
derek willis19/04/2008 09:03:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Olly,

You are right about Nick, in that he always answers emails, even if it only warrants, thanks Derek, Over almost 15 years I have emailed. practical, Routing, good wood and woodworker, before that i sent by snail mail, I NEVER had an answer to the hundreds of letters I sent, until now, I congratulated Ben Plewes when I met him at the Ally Pally show on the fact that he was the first to reply, and I respect him all the more for it. He is a man of the people and a man of honour.

Derek. 

Big Al19/04/2008 16:50:00
1599 forum posts
73 photos
Hi Derek I picked up the practical woodworking build your own garden projects as on the front cover it has a picture of keith Smith finishing a greenhouse (my big project for next year). I also picked up fine woodworking workshop solutions as that also looks interesting, again because after I finished my latest project, I want to revamp my workshop. And the other magazine that I bought was xbox 360. Al
Olly Parry-Jones19/04/2008 17:26:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Xbox indeed... I'm an Ngamer subscriber myself, although I still don't have myself a Wii yet!
Doug19/04/2008 17:49:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Olly bought the kids a wii for xmas, haven`t been able to watch the telly since.

It`s also a little embarrassing when your five year old can beat you at boxing, bowling, baseball well everything they choose to put on it really, oh except golf, which i will admit to quite enjoying.

Baz

Delete19/04/2008 18:26:00
575 forum posts

I consider the magazines from Magicalia and GMC to be prety good. In my experience I have hed replies to comments.

About 2 years ago the was an article in Woodworker about repairing a mirror dingy. An interesting article well writen. However there were some technical issues which I pointed out. I shold have kept my fingers off the keyboard because the next thing I knew I was asked if I would build a small boat for the magazine.

The project was 3/4 finished when there was a change in Editor and policy so the project was killed. So the record has not yet been put right, never mind maybee some day.

I found the New Yankee Workshop was as good if not better than any magazine and I found that I learnt a lot from watching the easy manner of (Uncle) Norm. I will get shot calling him that especially as he is about 7 years my junior.

derek willis20/04/2008 08:50:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Roger,

GMC are alright, and I shold point out that Good Wood was o/k under Phil Davy and Nick Gibbs, but as for Nexus and magicalia, that's another matter, except for our own Ben.

Derek. 

Andy King20/04/2008 22:20:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Having worked with both of them, I have to say, hand on heart, Nick and Phil are great guys - about as different as chalk and cheese in methods, but  both very dedicated in what they do.

Me and Phil still meet up about once a month for mag stuff and of course, a doughnut!

It was sad that Nick didn't carry on as editor when we were sold, he has great vision and enthusiasm, as can be seen in his new magazine or if you meet him at shows. I knew when he told me about his new venture it would be high quality.

It's always nice for me to bump into him at a show as we seem to carry on where we left off, I used to have some great laughs with him. He is definitely a top bloke!

Baz wrote:

baz wrote (see)

Dandy & beano, big kid at heart

Ah! The Beano! My first venture into the world of publishing! Apart from myself and my kids being in the Dennis the Menace fan Club (DING) I had two letters printed as well - One aged 21, the other aged 22!

cheers,

Andy

PS. I also won a blue Peter badge when I was 34!

derek willis21/04/2008 09:11:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Great to hear from you Andy, support fort hose who have our interests at heart is what is needed, as forNick, I felt he was definately one of us when after many emails to and fro, we finally met up when he came to me, (we only live about twenty miles apart), and his interest in all things woody are many and great, I think our Ben is in the same vein too.

Derek. 

Andy King21/04/2008 11:38:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Derek,

I've only known Ben a very short while, but again, as you say, like Nick he is a great bloke, and very passionate about his woodwork and for this website and the mags to succeed.

We are certainly striving to give the best we can to everyone - not always easy trying to find a project/review/feature that will appeal to all, especially as we try to cater for a broad spectrum in both magazines and also keep both magazines fresh and vibrant.

Good to se we've just got our 3000th member, a great achievement in such a short space of time, Ben has worked unbelievably hard to get the website working well, and he's certainly done a great job in my eyes.

It's good to see members of other forums posting here regularly as well, this one feels like it's been running for years already, and that's a good thing!

I try and look in as much as I can, but I do miss stuff as I'm involved in the mag work, so if anyone wants to ask anything specific of me, please don't feel i'm ignoring you, it may be that i've missed it...

I'm always happy to help whenever I can, so if you need to get hold of me at any time, or i've missed a posting, my email is andy.king@magicalia.com or andy.king3@btconnect.com

cheers,

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact