By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What magazines do you read.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek willis14/04/2008 16:11:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

hello everyone, what magazines do you read, I contribute to, The woodworker, Good Woodworking, British woodwrking, and Computeractive, that is more than enough.

Derek.

Olly Parry-Jones14/04/2008 16:42:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I contribute to both Good Woodworking and British Woodworking and picked up my very first copy of The Woodworker last weekend, which I'm now becoming quite fond of.

I've also been a subsrciber to F&C (Furniture & Cabinet Making), which is supposed to be the best around. I don't know, I seem to be rapidly losing interest in this one... There are some very inspirational pieces in the Readers' Gallery but if I want to catch up on the latest news or (affordable!) product reviews, I can get all that from my other mags.

British Woodworking is probably my favourite of the lot; I've got a lot of time for Nick Gibbs, his work and his ambition. Been subscribing to Good Wood for over three-years now and, although I felt it started to take a slight dip almost a year ago, things are definitely getting better. Don't neccesarily agree with some of the stick Dave Roberts and co. appear to have been getting recently. 

derek willis14/04/2008 17:00:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I fel I must agree with most of wht you've just said, especially Nick, he is being very brave taking this on all on his own, he has become almost a friend over the last few years, and the content of his mag is inspirational in the main, I don't think good wood is quite what it was, and I think that as for our own Ben, he is doing a great job.

derek.

Big Al14/04/2008 17:31:00
1598 forum posts
73 photos
I have at one time or another bought most of the available woodworking magazines. I have in the past subscribed to, F&C, good woodworking and wood carving, but now I dont buy any woodworking magazines. About 2 years ago I found that good woodworking, the woodworker, new woodworking and practical woodworking did not meet my needs. They seemed as if they were woodworking by numbers, in that a project had to have all measurements, moulding and joint details, great for someone that required that type of magazine, but for me, I was looking for inspiration. I then tried furniture and cabinet making, and at first found F&C to be very inspirational, but this soon faltered, and I also found F&C to be too serious and snobbish. When F&C first introduced the readers gallery, I thought it was a good idea, but I have never understood why the editor awarded the tool to the least inspirational piece nearly every month. There is a need for woodworking magazines, but not for me. I get a lot more from this forum and from the gallery on this website than I do from magazines. Please dont think from reading this that I am having a go at woodworking magazines, as I am not. Al
derek willis14/04/2008 18:03:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Al. you do hve apoint though, I very often say to my controller, when my subscription runs out I'm stopping this it's getting boring, but I never seem to, the web site is very inspirational and must be very rewarding to a lot of members.    Derek.

Robbie14/04/2008 18:15:00
129 forum posts
34 photos

Hi

I tried Practical Woodworking but I was beyond that, so I now pick up Fine Woodworking. I have just started subscribing to the F W website at $5 per month I think it's a bargain!

This website is very good, everyone here seems to be really helpfull.

Rob Johnson14/04/2008 18:46:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Over the years I have subscribed to most mags to do with wood,in one shape or the other, moving away to an uncertain fiscal future put a stop to that. Having returned and found this site have taken a subscription of The Woodworker again, I have fond memories of the magazine, once they even printed a small article I wrote.

I have learnt a lot from the magazines and expect I will continue to do so. It is also very interesting to see what other people are producing and designing, with the magazines broad base the resulting spectrum of work is as large as it is varied.

I subscribe to another magazine to do with motorhomes ( haven't lost my wanderlust) but am not allowed to get Playboy ( just typing that earnt me a clip round the ear!)

Will just have to continue to drool over all the new kit being tested in Woodworker!

Malc14/04/2008 19:10:00
411 forum posts
63 photos

Derek,

"Golf Monthly"

Malc.

derek willis14/04/2008 19:30:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Before they stopped practical, and switched my subs. to woodworker, I used to love the crossword, mostly wood related, promoted by Rustins, got a lot of loot from tht I can tell you.

derek.

Doug14/04/2008 22:41:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Dandy & beano, big kid at heart,

So lucky my 2 lads like them both else Mrs Baz wouldn`t let me buy them.

Woodchip15/04/2008 08:22:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

My 'gripe' with magazines, is something that the publishers can't really do much about.

The fact is, after a year or so, there aren't many techniques  they can deal with that many of us haven't heard of. (I can always get my memory jogged of course) But it's like a gardening mag. The same things have to be done year in year out, just as the woodwork mags have to run beginners' series every so often.

I much prefer projects, which give me design ideas. So the best thing about woodwork mags for me is ideas and that they help me keep up with new develoments in tools or the trade itself.  (Not that I have the cash for most new developments!)

Also, I get bored with the number of series' by bodgers and arty designers, who talk more about the ethos of  the craft and the wonderful scenery where they live. They all seem to have a 'Krenov' cat in the workshop; cats doing nothing about the mouse problem. All these things have their place, but I want a 'bodger' to tell me how to make chairs, not wax lyrical about the day his cat calmly jumped onto the table of the bandsaw, nuzzled his hand, before walking blithely and safely, between the running bandsaw blade and the throat!  Apart from that, I like magazines.

Reminds me, I meant to take out a sub with Nick Gibbs's BW...

derek willis15/04/2008 08:42:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

John,   I think you are voicing the opinions of most readers, we all get a bit tired of the same old same old, but every now and again some inspiration arrives to get us going again.

derek.

Woodchip15/04/2008 09:08:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Yep.. True!

Like my struggle with posting pics on the forum...

Think I'll try flickr! Lol!

Cheers Derek!

John

Olly Parry-Jones16/04/2008 20:20:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I agree that there comes a time when a magazine will have to tread back over old material, but sometimes it's worth a read; there are new innovations and ideas cropping up all the time.
derek willis17/04/2008 08:30:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Everyone, if you didn't take the magazines, what else would you read.

derek.

p.s. I read two or three novels a week. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact