By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cristoff's Box

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Olly Parry-Jones28/04/2009 21:57:57
2776 forum posts
636 photos
This is a lovely looking box, Cristoff. It would be nice to have a few more details, if possible...

Where did you get your hinges - are they Brussos?

Looks like sapele but, I''d also like to know which finished you have used please?

Olly.
Joe O 328/04/2009 22:22:17
203 forum posts
Christoff,
Lovely stuff, Well worth waiting for. Keep up the good work.
Joe.
Sparky29/04/2009 12:58:29
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Chris
Glad you got to post your images up.
This is, as said above, a very nice looking box. Hope to see a lot more.
Well done Marc
Cristoff29/04/2009 20:24:12
76 forum posts
21 photos
Thanks for all your comments and help guys, much appreciated.
To answer your question Olly, Yes the wood is Sapele, some I had left over from a conservatory job many moons ago...  which I thought would come in handy for a small box. 
I re-sawed it down, cleaned up and grooved for bottom and lid.  I constructed the box with mitred corners and inset splines for extra strength and decoration on my homemade jig on the table saw.  
The lid detail was my first attempt at inlaying veneer, so it was a bit trial and error! 
As for the hinges, I cannot remember exactly where I bought them, but I do know I painstainkingly scoured the internet to find a hinge of this type that you didn't need to take out a mortgage to buy!!  I found them a little mind numbing to fit, but once you get your head round them it's ok...
The finish on the box, was a wood dye to darken the Sapele, and give a uniform appearance.  The colour I chose was Indian rose wood.  Then finally about 5 coat's of clear satin varnish diluted with white spirit and de-nibbed between coat's.
Like all projects it's never to the level of perfection you would like, but I guess that gives you a good reason to keep practicing.

Thanks for the comments they're much appreciated!!
Regards Chris 
mike taylor21/05/2009 19:14:40
7 forum posts
14 photos
Hi Chris, you had problems finding the hinges, have you tried Christopher Milner, he has not got a web site, but his email address is milnerwoodwork@aol.com email him and he will send you a catalogue (its very interesting), Mike
Cristoff21/05/2009 22:06:33
76 forum posts
21 photos
Thanks for the info mike us box lovers can never have enough contacts for hardwear, the web sites that come up from the USA seem to have everything you could ever want and more, but it seems a bit of a chore if you are only buying hardwear for one project, there are UK sites but the prices seem so high, i will e mail this guy and get his catalouge.

Thanks for the details mike and by the way my favourite is the jewellery box closely followed by the pencil box have been wanting to have a go at one of them for a while
Woodie23/05/2009 11:11:44
103 forum posts
12 photos
Christoff
Nice box.  I too like making boxes, will post my efforts.
Quadrant hinges can be bought from Martin & Co Birmingham.  I agree, they are fidderly to fit but look good on the finished article.  A very useful book on box making is Box Making by Doug Stowe, an American book (got one from Amazon), which has a jig for quadrant hinges.
John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact