By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Finished, at last!

'an Ollie's lacquered!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Joe O 328/04/2009 15:57:05
203 forum posts
Ollie,
Well done,  a well crafted piece. I haven''t come across Chestnut''s acrylic laquer before (not advertising Marc) but if i come across it i will give it a try.
Again very well done mate.
Joe.
Derek Lane28/04/2009 17:02:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Nicely finished OPJ bet you are glad that has come to an end. So whats next

Edited By Derek Lane on 28/04/2009 17:02:54

Dave Atkinson28/04/2009 21:46:54
672 forum posts
115 photos
Super piece of work Ollie.
Olly Parry-Jones28/04/2009 21:52:11
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thank you, guys.

Derek, I'm hoping that I'll be able to go out next week and buy a load of beech to build my new workbench. I do have a couple of other furniture jobs lined up (the same guy has also mentioned a dining table! )but, I'd like to push them back a bit if I can; I'm really struggling with my current workbench. Not to mention the work I have planned for the workshop...!

It is nice to finally be able to put this one to bed but, at the same time, I'm going to miss it. Staining has been quite a challenge and I'm thinking of looking out for some spray equiptment for the next time... I've still learned a bit along the way (always important!) and it will be strange getting used to life in the workshop without this box in the way! It'll also be weird having made a piece of furniture but, not being able to see it when I step indoors, as with all the other pieces I've made.

Another one for the portfolio.

Edited By OPJ on 28/04/2009 21:55:05

P J28/04/2009 22:25:54
889 forum posts
103 photos
  Well done Olly Looking thought its not been an easy birth at times. But it good to see you've finished at last .
  So now you've finished Was it worth it financially? I know I have made things for other people IE Fish Tank Stand, TV Cabinet, But the time I spent on it. I should have charged a lot more. Or did you do it as a learning experience (like me). I suppose practice makes perfect and it make it easier the next time. and I do look forward to your next project .
P J
Olly Parry-Jones28/04/2009 22:31:23
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Paul and thank you.

I've still made some profit but, the reality is, I've seriously sold myself on the cheap here. But, it was for a friend (fellow woodworker, in fact) so, I'm not really that bothered. The profit I have made isn't quite as great as I was originally thinking it would be... I wasn't anticipating that I would spend so much on finishes and hardware (shipping from the US). That's one thing I've learned - I need to look ahead just a little further, next time. I haven't charged for my time; I basically took the material costs (timber only) and multiplied it slightly.
P J28/04/2009 22:41:02
889 forum posts
103 photos
I hope you invest the profits in the workshop. That's how I've acquired my last few power tools Keep the wood chips flying!
P J
Sparky29/04/2009 12:52:13
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Well Olly
I think you've done justice to the project..........an all round solid effort has not only made you learn but, many of us too..and that's what makes this site so interesting

I'm a bit shocked at knowing a fellow woodworker had asked you to make this.........you must be more qualified than him, as this is all I can come up with!

Well done mate. worth that little profit any day

Marc
Olly Parry-Jones29/04/2009 22:50:15
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thanks for that, Marc.

What I really should have said is that he's actually a woodturner and not someone who regularly works with square, flat boards! His workshop's even smaller than mine (though, I think it may still be slightly larger than yours! ). Either way, with all the wood he's got stashed in there (and a new lathe that arrived just before I did, this morning...) he doesn't have the room for much else.
Sparky29/04/2009 23:02:51
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Olly
Oh, that explains everything
I bet my shed has more room now he has all that wood and the lathe!

Still, very nice chest after all
Marc
Olly Parry-Jones29/04/2009 23:19:12
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thanks again, Marc. You know, he's looking to offload his smaller lathe and I almost drove off with it in the back of my car... He's now asked me to look at building a chest of drawers in the same style as the blanket chest so, we may be looking to do a part-exchange at some point. This should give me a chance to try out some spray equipment though, which should make light work of all that staining!
Sparky29/04/2009 23:25:54
7631 forum posts
22 photos
A free lathe!!........I hope it wasn't you who stopped and told him about it!

Sounds another nice project. Look forward to seeing that being made.

In regards to the spraying. I've thought about using an air spray for wood stain too. I've seen a few bowls coloured in that way and I like them.

We shall see what the year brings in finance and go from there.

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact