By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oak Porch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Craig Morris 115/04/2009 01:14:07
8 forum posts
I am building a traditional oak porch, the main framing  will be mortice and tennon joints and pegged.  The roof rafters are oak and I want to fix the tile battens to the oak rafters, if I fix these with the framing nailer using standard ring head framing nails will they have a reaction with the oak in the same way that steel nails do and discolour the oak.  Can anyone out there help
Thanke Craig
Malc16/04/2009 20:25:25
411 forum posts
63 photos
Craig,
I'm sorry but I dont know the answer to this query but I thought I would reply as nobody else has. I suspect that you are right to worry about standard ring head framing nails. I'm not sure if galvanised would be better as I dont know how oak reacts to galvenised nails. I'm sure that someone on here knows the answer and at least my post keeps you at the top.
Regards,
Malc.
Doug16/04/2009 21:26:53
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Craig,
Firstly i doubt (though i may well be wrong) That you framing nailer would fire the nails in sucessfully, i`m presuming your using seasoned oak?

As for nails i`d go for stainless, though if you can`t get them long enough, & if the porch isn`t too large, i would consider drilling & screwing with stainless screws. Again i`m presuming your using seasoned oak.

Baz
Oddjob16/04/2009 21:29:24
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Craig

Have you thought of using oak "nails?"  Drill battens and rafters and hammer in tapered pegs.  The pegs are easily made from squate stock with a sharp knife.

Richard
Mike Garnham17/04/2009 10:38:58
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Nothing metal other than Stainless Steel is suitable for green oak. Stainless Steel nails are available, but you may have to knock them in with a hammer!! This shouldn't be too onerous on such a small area. Green oak will eat ordinary nails in very short order, and although galvanised nails will last a little longer, they won't last long enough.

I like Richard's idea, too.......that is a good old-fashioned method, which you probably will have read about to your kids in "Little House on the Prairie"....

Mike

Mike
Ron Davis17/04/2009 17:13:52
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Mike Are you with us again

Ron
Mike Garnham17/04/2009 17:36:39
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Occasionally, Ron.....

I can't get my home computer to sign me in properly, and at work, where signing in is easy, I should be working!

But I do have to keep an eye on things in case the power goes to Sparky's head!!!!

Mike

Mr Maguire17/04/2009 18:33:17
265 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Mike,

Your too late...the power has well and trully got to Sparky, the whole forum is doomed.

Good to see you're back anyway.

Richard
Sparky17/04/2009 21:14:08
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Big Al17/04/2009 21:26:50
1602 forum posts
73 photos
Yeah Mike, the power's gone to marc's head, he he. Good to hear from you again. How's the melting cabinet coming on?

Al 
Mike Garnham18/04/2009 16:08:50
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Oooooh........it works!

I've not done anything different, but for the first time in months I have been able to log in without typing everything out manually. I didn't do anything different, so maybe somebody fixed something.

Al, Richard....reparky: you knew it would, though, didn't you? Before you know it he'll have taken over the site, then the magazines, then all of Fleet Street, then Downing St, then the UN. Its a slippery slope .....

See you soon!
George Arnold18/04/2009 17:11:23
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Good thing if he does, then perhaps I could get the WHS exclusive offer , and he could not make a worse job of Downing Street.

Wecome back Mike
 Geotge
Sparky18/04/2009 21:02:34
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Mike (Oh, thats weird typing that name out!)
Glad its working for you again.........nothing like spending hours typing and not getting anything for it

He he, cheers George......£5 in the post

Mike Garnham18/04/2009 21:36:18
4114 forum posts
1 photos
What happened to the quote facility?

What's weird about typing Mike out, Marc? I've been keeping an occasional eye on you guys as a non-signed in guest ....and I know that Olly and Baz pop in now and again. Just like old times, heh? If only that change of site platform hadn't occurred........I reckon it probably took 20 years off Ben's life expectancy!!

Ho hum.......

Has anybody made any furniture lately?

Mike
Sparky18/04/2009 21:49:20
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mike
Its weird that I haven't done it for a long time............
I know you've been around mate
Sadly the changes had to be done mate and nearing completion (fingers crossed!).........

I did make the odd piece of furniture sometime back..........took a month to do though

Nice to see your posts again Mike..
Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact