By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Trend Router Table Insert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Malc14/04/2009 18:30:11
411 forum posts
63 photos
Dear all,
Has anybody used the above mentioned router table insert? I am thinking of making a router table and I'm considering the insert from Trend. Do you think this is a good idea or can you advise something better or as good but cheaper?
I have limited space and budget and thought I would make a table top which I could hold in my bench vice with fold away legs at the front so that I can fold it flat when not in use.
Any suggestions/advice as allways would be most welcome.
Regards,
Malc.
Doug14/04/2009 18:38:35
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Malc.
I didn`t like it. I fitted it in my router table when i first made it but have since changed to an aluminium one.
That said if you do decide to go for a Trend, & don`t mind one that has been fitted to a DeWalt 625e (i Think), then you`re welcome to the one i took out, if you`ll pay the postage.

Baz
Malc14/04/2009 18:45:03
411 forum posts
63 photos
Baz,
Many thanks for your offer. Just going to send you a mail.
Malc.
Malc17/04/2009 16:22:30
411 forum posts
63 photos

Thanks to Baz I now have a Trend insert for my router table. This (doing the rebate) I think is the hardest part complete. Now I have to think about mounting the router and looking at designs for a fence.
Malc.

Olly Parry-Jones17/04/2009 18:36:46
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Looks like you've done a nice job of cutting the recess for your new plate, Malc. When I did mine last year, I made a bit of a mess of it and had to fill the gaps with thin strips of timber...

Baz, how are you getting on with the Tilgear plate? I'm still really pleased with mine. Do you find the grub screws vibrate loose as you're working? If so, try adding a thread-locking compound to keep them in place. It's worked for me so far!

I've also added a plastic 'shield' around the collet of my router, based on something I saw on another forum... That also appears to be working well and is keeping the dust from falling in to my Freud router. I'll try and upload some photo's over the weekend.
Malc17/04/2009 19:04:34
411 forum posts
63 photos
Olly,
   It was one of those bum clenching moments knowing that if you cut this wrong Oh S**t.
I only had one piece of Oak veneered MDF left over from my last job and if I got it wrong then who knows how long before I'd get started on this project. Anyway it turned out OK and as I said I think that was the hardest bit. I have no worries about the following steps, I hope I dont live to regret those words.
I've been surfing the net to try and find an easy to make but versatile fence. I want to be able to use my table for the usual kind of moulding tasks as well as jointing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Malc..
Doug17/04/2009 19:41:02
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Malc.
Nice to see it fitted, you`ve certainly not hung around.

This is my router table build which shows some photos of my fence (don`t know if you`ve seen it already, apologies if you have).

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Olly.
I don`t think i used the screws, i just routed to the depth of the plate.
I`m very happy so far, though it`s not had that much use, though that will change in the next couple of months.
I would be interested in seeing a photo of  the shield you mentioned.

Cheers.

Baz
Sparky17/04/2009 20:50:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
That looked weird...........reading down the thread, Malc's comment went from "Just going to send you email" to "Thanks to baz"...........I didn't know the post office was that quick until I saw Malc's post date

Nice one Baz and well fitted Malc!
Marc
Olly Parry-Jones18/04/2009 17:43:28
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Here you are, Baz, a couple of photo's of the shield I've made:

There's not much to it really; 6mm acrylic with three holes for 10x5mm rare Earth magnets. These magnets sit on the heads of machine screws already in place around the router's collet. I saw a similar idea on the other forum so, a lot of the credit should go to a man named Roy!

It seems to be working so far. I've been routing MDF for past couple of days and can see already where dust has settled on top of the shield but, not below it. I've also just tried making a similar one for the upper guides on my bandsaw (sorry, no photo's yet... ). I'm not convinced it's as effective. If anything, it probably stops most of the dust from being taken down with the blade and instead pours out over the sides....
Malc18/04/2009 20:46:28
411 forum posts
63 photos
Baz,
Yes, good pictures thanks. I'm not sure that I will make anything as elaborate to begin with I want to see how much I use the table first and try and establish a design that meets my needs.
I've now fitted the router to the plate and lipped the table top. I've made some hinged legs for the front edge and a batton fixed across the back goes in my bench vice. It seems very sturdy. I'm not going to do much more to be honest apart from some finish and a simple fence.
I'll post a picture when all done.
Regards,
Malc.
Malc21/04/2009 12:57:46
411 forum posts
63 photos

Almost there.
Top picture shows table folded and bottom picture is a general view. Only need to cater for dust extraction and maybe a "T" slot  then job done.
I want to establish whether or not I can justify the effort of making a "proper" table by seeing how much I use this one. I think I will need a split fence or some arrangement on this fence so that I can try jointing on the router. I am waiting now for a collet extension before I can try it out.
Regards,
Malc.
Malc21/04/2009 13:00:16
411 forum posts
63 photos
Doh!!!
I thought the first post had failed for some reason.
"Stupid brain"
Malc.

You have been healed my son.
God

Edited By sparky on 21/04/2009 18:28:33

Doug21/04/2009 15:32:28
3415 forum posts
35 photos
That looks excellent Malc.

A good compact design, though i`m sure when you start using it you will soon realise how useful a router table is. At least then you`ve got this one to make the new one on.

Happy routering.

Baz
Olly Parry-Jones21/04/2009 16:35:33
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Very smart indeed.

I think you've gone down the right path in terms of starting off with something simple. This way, you can 'play' with it, discover what you do and don't like and modify it accordingly without wasting lots of money. Split fences are brilliant, in my opinion.

I look forward to seeing some of the work you can produce with it.
Joe O 321/04/2009 16:47:23
203 forum posts
Malc,
Nice looking table, well made, well done!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact