By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Zyliss vice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Pickering26/03/2009 18:30:10
5 forum posts
A few years ago I bought one of these vice systems following an impressive demonstartion at a woodwork show in London.

Ther must have been many of these sold but I don't recall ever seeing them mentioned or pictured in any of the magazines I take.

It is a very versatile system but perhaps the purists prefer the traditional style of vice?

Any forum users have one of these?
Oddjob26/03/2009 19:12:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I can't find out much about the system but apparently there is one on this yacht .  I think i'll buy it.

Richard

Skipper Tom26/03/2009 19:33:11
2 forum posts
In reply to John regarding the Zyliss vice. I have one and have been using it for about 20 years. At the time it cost something like £20. Last time I saw one in a show it was £90. I find it very handy and quick for setting up and altering it's function. It can travel with you if you want to work from home using a work horse. Just clip it to an edge and you're off. The drawback I find is that the handle must be at a corner of a bench or table.But that is my only moan about it.
Big Al27/03/2009 07:14:06
1602 forum posts
73 photos
I have seen this vice system demonstrated on QVC but not for about 5 years. It does look very good, but I have never had a reason to buy one.

Al 
Oddjob27/03/2009 08:03:54
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I don't know why but this vice system, which I had never previously heard of, interested me.  I spent a while last night searching the web for it.
There were very few UK references to the Zyliss vice and none, that I could find, for sale.
In other countries, especially USA, there were lots of comments about the system an a number for sale.  Most reviews were very critical which perhaps explains why it is apparently discontinued.  However, a number of reviews were very flattering - almost claiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread!  Odd that opinions should vary so widely isn't it?
I have to say that I was quite impressed by the apparent versatility and efficiency of the Zyliss system (and a couple of near identical spin-offs) and would live to try one.

Richard
Sparky27/03/2009 08:54:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Richard

Hope this helps in some way
Marc
Oddjob27/03/2009 13:39:41
1635 forum posts
79 photos
That's brilliant Marc!
Why didn't I find those last night?  Do you have a "Super Google" or something?

They're not cheap are they, especially with the lousy exchange rate as it is?  I'd love to try one but I think I'll wait until things get better.  I'm sure they will because Gordon says so.

Richard
Sparky27/03/2009 14:20:53
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Richard

Glad it helped.

Super Google?................nah, just typed in z-Vise and it was the first link.

Yes it is very expensive and to think its not gold, I thought it would be a lot cheaper!.

I'm sure it will become cheaper but, by then, something else will take its place

There's nothing like a second pair of hands when you need them but, we all seem to get by somehow.
Marc
john griffin 224/08/2012 13:51:53
3 forum posts

If anyone is interested, I have one of these vices, which I had forgotten about. Very good condition. I live near Worcester, and would be happy to hear from anyone who would like it. I am sure a reasonable price can be agreed. No idea of postage, so would have to look into that.

Julian28/08/2012 19:51:20
553 forum posts
28 photos

Hmm !! -- 3-1/2 year old post. Hi John & welcome to the forum, I too have one of these and love it to bits. My bench is usually too full of rubish when I need to do something so it usually comes out.

Ivor the engine06/09/2012 03:30:09
270 forum posts
46 photos

I to have one of these I bought it in about 1980 something, with a lot of extras for I think £20 which inc 2 900mm rods and a vice to hold a drill to use as a lathe, Swish made I beleve all alloy no rust,

Take care,

Ivor.

Arthur De Haast20/09/2012 09:30:09
5 forum posts

I also have one ,which I bought in 1986. Being a hobbiest,I cannot manage without it. It is so multi-functional and I still find different ways in which to use it.its supprisingly strong and does not rust.

I would recomend it to anyone who is keen on light wood work hobbies.They were made in Switzerland. But I doubt if can still buy them new and they were expensive at the time,I still have the cash slip for it,it cost me just over £30 at a DIY expo in Durban South Africa.

Old timer21/09/2012 13:36:06
30 forum posts
21 photos

Hi, Just incase anyone is interested in purchasing a "Zyliss vice," there are three on EBay ,two from the UK . one from the USA. I enclose the item numbers

I got mine at a Car boot , for a fiver. it comes in handy some times.

EBay item numbers

UK . 170911657995 one from USA. 271056019845

UK 110954506851

From old timer,

blank space27/01/2013 19:39:28
4 forum posts

has anyone got one they want to sell thanks for looking

john griffin 227/01/2013 19:48:27
3 forum posts

I have one in my garage somewhere.Will look it out . What sort of money you thinking of ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact