By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Record Universal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JE29/03/2008 19:33:00
24 forum posts

Hi.

I'm on the verge of buying a Record C26/30 Plus universal machine.

Has anybody else on the forum got one of these and what are your thoughts on value for money, quality and precision of them.

Thanks

John.

derek willis29/03/2008 21:10:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

John,

I would love a universal of any kind, they do take up a lot of room, I know where there is one going seconhand I'd have it tomorrow but for room, an elderly woodworker died, and left a lot of stuff, I want to get there and have a look.

Derek.

JE29/03/2008 21:43:00
24 forum posts

Derek.

I think I've just bought the machine, (on e-bay) you are talkng about.

Unfortunately it wasn't as described and only had the one motor instead of the three the later machines have, so, it's going back.

I'm pretty certain the latest machines on the Record web site are worth the money but would appreciate other users input before I finally committo buying one.

Steppers10/09/2008 00:34:00
6 forum posts
Hi, Like all things its a matter of funds available vs what you actually need it to do.  Is this machine the same as the Metabo Maxi I wonder, if so I read on a forum somewhere that its totally pants.  Personally I find it unbearable when a 'chinese' product won't do as I expect and its not long before I find all sorts of awful quality bits and pieces all over it and the next thing you know a switch breaks and you are on line or back to the dealer trying to get a new part.  Just cant be arsed with all that, so I have spent a lot of time looking at universal machines and in the end went for a Hammer C3-31.  So although the service from Felder can be patchy.  I'm happy but broke !  Cheerz Al
Johnf10/09/2008 22:15:00
23 forum posts
4 photos

Hi John

I had a record maxi 26 not very good

so i changed it for a hammer C3-31 absolutely brilliant quality ,precision ,and accuracy are the name of the game buy one you wont regret it

John

JE10/09/2008 23:14:00
24 forum posts

Too late, Johnf.   Went ahead and bought one about six weeks ago.  Been in the Atlantic for four of them and haven't really had chance to get my teeth into it yet.  I've tried everything though and it seems ok to me, so far, although I'm by no means an expert.

The Tersa block is good and gives a great finish, the saw and spindle moulder seem effortless and the morticer easy to set up and use.

The only thing I've done so far is make a mahogany window frame (just a light through from a bedroom to a dark hallway) and it cut the 45 degree joints accurately and square.

ANyway, too late to change now so I'll have to live with it, whatever its limits.

John.

Johnf11/09/2008 20:07:00
23 forum posts
4 photos

John

best of luck with the record I'm shore it will be fine , and cheaper than the hammer anyway

I should have looked at the date on your orinal post and would have known my comments were to late

Cheers John

Andrew Main17/11/2008 07:53:00
12 forum posts

I am also considering a Combi, after having a look around I have spotted the Kittybest Combi 2000.

Has anyone any info on this machine, is it any good, and is it worth the money?

I have it eyed it up at £1582.41 inc vat, and it also comes with the mortice attachment.

Cheers Andy

Andy King17/11/2008 14:59:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi John,

You have the MiniMax C26 (Pus version as it has the Tersa block), the original Record C26 was a Lurem, now sold by Metabo.
Chalk and cheese is a pretty good comparison of the old Lurem with one motor to the 3 motored MiniMax you've got - its a fantastic piece of kit,  for the money, supeb avalue and excellently specified, I don't think you'll regret buying it, it has none of the foibles of the original version.

Andy,

The Kity Bestcombi is a great machine, if a little limited in capacities. It's essentially the 419 saw, the 429 Spindle and the 439 planer bolted together.
The spindle is a little close to the edge of the tables so doesn't offer much support on long grain cutting, although the sliding carriage can be used to support the width, but its not ideal.
The saw is still only 8in blade, so limited to about 2inch stock, and like my 419 saw, a tad underpowered for quick ripping as its only 1100 watts.
It's a very well made machine though, and is one of the smallest ones out there if space is tight, plus it splits down into two parts (the planer/thicknesser removes) if you have a single doorway to your workshop.
As it has hardened aluminim tables, it might be a better option over the cast iron models if its going onto a shed loor that might struggle with the weight of cast iron.

hope this helps,
Andy

JE18/11/2008 19:30:00
24 forum posts

Thanks, Andy.

Glad to hear someone has good impressions of the machine.  I can't knock it's quality and although I still haven't really used it to it's full potential yet the use I have had from it so far has all been effortless.

Biggest problem yet, has been the Tersa knives.  Basically I bought the machine as a retirement present to myself, as an amateur with big ideas, and to use it on an awful lot of African teak that I have in store.  Trouble was the blades supplied didn't last, because of the teaks mineral content.  I've now been forced to buy TC blades at around £60 each and the stupid thing is that they are produced by Tersa but only sold in sets of two? when all the blocks seem to be, like mine, three bladed.

I haven't tried them yet but if they don't work I'm a lot of money down.

One thing I will say about Tersa though is that, with the standard knives, I have planed flat a 2" block of English oak about seven inches wide and four foot long and I don't think I have seen a better finish come out of a planer before. If I was using it to make a door or similar I wouldn't bother sanding, I can see no planer marks.

John 

JE29/03/2008 19:33:00
24 forum posts

Hi.

I'm on the verge of buying a Record C26/30 Plus universal machine.

Has anybody else on the forum got one of these and what are your thoughts on value for money, quality and precision of them.

Thanks

John.

derek willis29/03/2008 21:10:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

John,

I would love a universal of any kind, they do take up a lot of room, I know where there is one going seconhand I'd have it tomorrow but for room, an elderly woodworker died, and left a lot of stuff, I want to get there and have a look.

Derek.

JE29/03/2008 21:43:00
24 forum posts

Derek.

I think I've just bought the machine, (on e-bay) you are talkng about.

Unfortunately it wasn't as described and only had the one motor instead of the three the later machines have, so, it's going back.

I'm pretty certain the latest machines on the Record web site are worth the money but would appreciate other users input before I finally committo buying one.

Steppers10/09/2008 00:34:00
6 forum posts
Hi, Like all things its a matter of funds available vs what you actually need it to do.  Is this machine the same as the Metabo Maxi I wonder, if so I read on a forum somewhere that its totally pants.  Personally I find it unbearable when a 'chinese' product won't do as I expect and its not long before I find all sorts of awful quality bits and pieces all over it and the next thing you know a switch breaks and you are on line or back to the dealer trying to get a new part.  Just cant be arsed with all that, so I have spent a lot of time looking at universal machines and in the end went for a Hammer C3-31.  So although the service from Felder can be patchy.  I'm happy but broke !  Cheerz Al
Johnf10/09/2008 22:15:00
23 forum posts
4 photos

Hi John

I had a record maxi 26 not very good

so i changed it for a hammer C3-31 absolutely brilliant quality ,precision ,and accuracy are the name of the game buy one you wont regret it

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact